TARTA (Toledo Transit Authority) uses SB199 against union

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BB62

TARTA (Toledo Transit Authority) uses SB199 against union

Post by BB62 »

Poorly drafted parking lot legislation rears its ugly head (again)!

Because of my activism and other efforts regarding Dayton RTA's ongoing insistence on ignoring ORC 9.68, I've made contact with a number of parties & other transit authorities, including Troy Miller, the President/Business Agent of Amalgamated Transit Workers Union #627 for SORTA (Southern Ohio Regional Transit Authority) union members.

Imagine my surprise when I got a call this morning from Carly Allen, Troy's counterpart for ATU #697 for TARTA (Toledo Area Regional Transit Authority) in Toledo, Ohio!

Similar to what forum member "38smith" posted in another thread about his employer, TARTA is demanding that CHL holders reveal that they are, that those who in the future get a license reveal that fact and more, via signing a new workplace policy. Ms. Allen has done a very respectable job responding to TARTA though she has limited gun law knowledge, but needs help with what may be heavy lifting.

I've contacted JustaShooter with OFCC, and Joe Eaton from Buckeye Firerarms Association to enlist their help, forwarding on to them the documentation I've received. I don't know how to post such things, so they can do so, or someone can advise me how to do so.

Ms. Allen has also reached out to a couple of attorneys, one in her area, and Sean Maloney, an NRA Board Member who works with BFA.

I will also give Ms. Allen a link to this thread so that she can take advantage of the knowledge, observations, etc. of others.

38smith's thread: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89547" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Brian D.

Re: TARTA (Toledo Transit Authority) uses SB199 against unio

Post by Brian D. »

Lots of questions related to "parking lot carry" coming in here and at BFA's forums. The most interesting are from those who work/park at places like (nuclear and other) power plants, which are federally regulated to some degree or other. One inquiry was about leaving a gun in the vehicle at a VA clinic facility parking lot. Some of those VA properties, and the offices, are leased by the government, they're just a tenant not the landlord. Yeah, try telling THEM that. Yet another inquiry was about working on Lake Erie for a company that ships from a port which may be federally regulated, but it's a privately owned company. As I understand it, the company used this "federal facility" thing to reiterate their policy of no firearms on company property.

I fired off an e-mail to Derek DeBrosse--"The Gun Lawyer" as he calls himself on YouTube. I suggested this portion of the new law perhaps merited his expertise, and to please do a video about it.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Here's what TARTA wants their employees to fill out:

Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

BB62

Post by BB62 »

Here's the union President's response to TARTA's demand:

Got Freedom?

Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I wish I was so hard-headed when I was a union president! I had to do my share of pushing back, but not to the point of threatening a 5th degree felony to HR!
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
BB62

Post by BB62 »

I just sent the General Manager of TARTA this note:

Mr. Gee,

I just wanted to drop you a line and thank you for doing your part to improve Ohio’s gun laws since the passage of SB199.

It’s not often that I have the opportunity to write to government officials about such things, but I have to tell you that TARTA’s new “Acknowledgement of License to Carry a Concealed Handgun” form is a stroke of genius!

Indeed, government employees don’t often do things that excite attorneys, members of the gun-rights community, and our esteemed legislators, but you’ve done so, and deserve all the plaudits that will no doubt be coming your way. Attorneys are always glad to stuff their pockets, gun-rights people look forward to a cause to rally around, and of course legislators love to smite those who twist their legislation into undesirable forms.

I don’t know if Mr. Abshier is still your attorney, but if it’s necessary for me to organize an open carry bus ride to address his insistence that CHL holders must conceal their handguns on TARTA buses, I’ll also be sure to mention to the media the larger role that TARTA has played in the fight to advance gun rights in Ohio.

Thanks again, and have a nice day! :D

Cordially,
me

Got Freedom?

Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Kind of proves why the "CHL Holders as a Protected Class" portion was in the original bill...it didn't make the cut, but would have certainly changed the whole dynamic here.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
tracker 6

Post by tracker 6 »

Knock em out ,Carly.Nothing better than a hard nosed union rep. :D :D Oh,BB62 your everyday front line work is commendable,Salute
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Good action by your labor union.
I would never fill out a "company form" regarding parking lot/ccw issues.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

BB62 wrote:I just sent the General Manager of TARTA this note:

Mr. Gee,

I just wanted to drop you a line and thank you for doing your part to improve Ohio’s gun laws since the passage of SB199.

It’s not often that I have the opportunity to write to government officials about such things, but I have to tell you that TARTA’s new “Acknowledgement of License to Carry a Concealed Handgun” form is a stroke of genius!

Indeed, government employees don’t often do things that excite attorneys, members of the gun-rights community, and our esteemed legislators, but you’ve done so, and deserve all the plaudits that will no doubt be coming your way. Attorneys are always glad to stuff their pockets, gun-rights people look forward to a cause to rally around, and of course legislators love to smite those who twist their legislation into undesirable forms.

I don’t know if Mr. Abshier is still your attorney, but if it’s necessary for me to organize an open carry bus ride to address his insistence that CHL holders must conceal their handguns on TARTA buses, I’ll also be sure to mention to the media the larger role that TARTA has played in the fight to advance gun rights in Ohio.

Thanks again, and have a nice day! :D

Cordially,
me
You put some bite in this letter. Far as I'm concerned, good! It's like an actor making a memorable first entrance in a movie. Grabs ya right by the throat.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
westsidebestside

Post by westsidebestside »

Your letter is strutting. It is not in our best interest to strut. Ever.

Thanks for harming the cause.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

westsidebestside wrote:Your letter is strutting. It is not in our best interest to strut. Ever.

His letter hints at what he has done before and will do again, with success. He's never made us look bad, always made the intended party look like they're above the law and they get called out on it and forced to obey the law.

No strutting intended, none perceived.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

JU-87 wrote:Good action by your labor union.
I would never fill out a "company form" regarding parking lot/ccw issues.
Have you heard of anything and did they change the signs, :?: I have not been there for a few weeks.
Black Rifles Matter
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Javelin Man wrote:
His letter hints at what he has done before and will do again, with success. He's never made us look bad, always made the intended party look like they're above the law and they get called out on it and forced to obey the law.

No strutting intended, none perceived.
I second this.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

westsidebestside wrote:Your letter is strutting. It is not in our best interest to strut. Ever.

Can you define the harm as it relates to the letter and the targeted agency?

I see it as no worse than telling someone who screwed up, "Smooth move, ExLax!"
MyWifeSaidYes