LEGISLATIVE ACTION DAYS

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: LEGISLATIVE ACTION DAYS

Post by Chuck »

We had an excellent two days and the prospects are very promising.

Thank you zeko, and Catlin, and Morne
Thank you sabalo and Mustang380gal
Thank you Weston Don and your lovely wife
Thank you sd970 and your lovely wife
Thank you Pops Fun, JustaShooter, and Carolyn and her husband, Jeff
Thank you all for doing your part, we made a good team

In two days we met with at least 53 legislative offices, (although I think Morne might have snuck a few in while no one was looking during lunch) and overwhelmingly with the legislators themselves. The few times we had to meet with the LAs they were inquisitive and open to our requests.
I don't think any of us heard a negative word either day. In fact, the response we received was very encouraging, supportive.
We have work to do after this, notes to compile, bills to start tracking, votes to seek.
We can do this, the time is right,

If anyone wants to help, just speak up
We'll put you to work
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

Hi
Just want to say everything was well coordinated and from my perspective went well.
That is a lot of work, getting everything lined up... Great Job!!

This is my third time and I feel confident that our legislators will follow through on what OFCC has suggested they try to accomplish, there is still
a lot more work behind the scenes to be done, but I am confident that we are moving in the right direction..

I am really excited after meeting with our legislators and believe a lot will be accomplished this session, so glad we are starting now.

I can't say it enough .... a lot of work goes into setting this up. You don't just show up and walk into offices...... 53 people in 2 days WOW!

I will say there was one that was wishy washy about our concerns, but the others were definitely receptive, and most seem on our side, not saying
they won't need an occasional push but I am excited....

Steve
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Thanks for your efforts
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I had a rather disturbing conversion with one of the OSHP officers on the so called "security" detail in the Riffe tower yesterday. I wanted to get an idea how rank and file viewed duty to notify so I asked him his thoughts on the issue. His response was both surprising and disturbing. He stated that notification was needed because if he saw a gun during a stop that he was not aware of that he would have to draw his gun and point it at the persons head. Or words to that effect. That response shocked me so much that I really can't recall much about the rest of the conversation except that he kept returning to the "draw my gun and point it at your head" idea. I did not pursue the issue as my purpose was not to debate the issue but rather to gather intelligence from our opposition. I went away with the impression that I was hearing the "official" OSHP leadership/union talking points. Not really sure if he gave me his personal thoughts or not. Actually, I'm not even sure he even has his own thoughts. Scary.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I hope you took note of his name and badge number. Didn't happen to have a voice recorder running, by any chance?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Sadly I didn't. It was a spur of the moment decision to even start the conversation. Truth be told I was PO'd and struggling to maintain my civility after a while. I am not at my sharpest when that happens.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Chuck wrote:We had an excellent two days and the prospects are very promising. ...
It seems that the problem last year was the Senate, so how many of those met with were Senators?
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

BB62 wrote:
Chuck wrote:We had an excellent two days and the prospects are very promising. ...
It seems that the problem last year was the Senate, so how many of those met with were Senators?
How so? From what I was watching the House was the problem. The Senate proposed taking all non-secure government buildings off the CPZ list and went along with the "protected class" stuff but the House got nervous at 2 AM and went back to the old junky language plus a few things they made up at the last minute (an d it sho ws in the tex tof the law).
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

BB62 wrote:
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
BB62

Post by BB62 »

djthomas wrote:
BB62 wrote:
How so? From what I was watching the House was the problem. The Senate proposed taking all non-secure government buildings off the CPZ list and went along with the "protected class" stuff but the House got nervous at 2 AM and went back to the old junky language plus a few things they made up at the last minute (and it shows in the text of the law).
Didn't the House pass a great bill (HB48) that the Senate sat on for more than a year and a half, only addressing it in the last few days of the session?
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

BB62 wrote: Didn't the House pass a great bill (HB48) that the Senate sat on for more than a year and a half, only addressing it in the last few days of the session?
The group I was with had several discussions on the GA's seeming habit of waiting until the lame duck and then making Christmas tree bills at the last minute. The second item on our list was correcting the signage issue with last session's SB199, so it came up in in every office we were in, with nearly everyone saying they shouldn't be making laws that way, including the new Senate President.

We have specific goals of 1 Repealing notification, 2 correcting the signage issue with the law that went into effect last Tuesday, and 3 removing the duty to retreat, and with it, restore the presumption of innocence to self defense situations like every other state in the union.
In addition, I plugged adding teeth to ORC 9.68 every chance I could, but time was a big factor for us, so mostly we focused on the top three.

We are still gathering notes and reflecting on how it all went and how to make the most of it from here
Ain't activism fun?