Pre/Post CHL Legislation legalities

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jmwildenthal

Pre/Post CHL Legislation legalities

Post by jmwildenthal »

Hello!

I moved to Texas in February. I miss teaching CHL in Ohio - I have to take a Texas DPS course to teach in Texas...explanation

I was describing the prohibited locations landscape in Ohio to another person and my viewpoint made me realize the world is bigger than it seems. Let me explain....

Prior to the CHL law passing in 2004, there were statutes that banned carry - concealed or otherwise. Firearm possession in a room where liquor was being dispensed under a class D permit; all deadly weapons forbidden at schools; all deadly weapons forbidden in courthouses. With the CHL law came 2923.126, which specifically bans concealed carry, not open carry, not long-arm open carry. So unless otherwise prohibited by signage, open carry was and is legal since 2923.126 only bans concealed carry. I had realized this about churches and day cares and eventually universities. But the pre/post perspective made me realize it applied to police stations, government buildings, and anything else not a school or courthouse. In particular, in applying it to government buildings, if there weren't the "deadly weapon" verbiage in 2923.1212, open carry would be 100% legal and not be subject to trespass charges in many locations we can't carry in. I'm sure some of us would agree that the prohibition on deadly weapons in jails should stay. But I think we'd agree on throwing the rest out.
I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. If you want legal advice, pay an attorney for it.
NRA Certified Instructor