Action on SB199 including parking lot carry

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

zeko

Re: Action on SB199 including parking lot carry

Post by zeko »

It looks like a way (maybe the only way in many cases) to comply with the law is:

1. Drive into the parking lot, and park, with car doors locked.

2. Remove the handgun from one's person and lock it in a lock box which is cabled to the car frame.

3. Slide the lockbox under the front seat (or some other hiding place).

4. Unlock the car door, exit, and relock the door.

Granted, disarming inside the car is clumsier (and therefore more dangerous) than disarming standing by the car; on the other hand, disarming outside would let any potential smash-and-grabber who happened to be watching know there was a gun in the car.

Also granted, the law isn't perfect, but it seems to me it's a step (however small) in the right direction.

Zeko
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Though it's prudent to lock a cable through the frame and such, I didn't see anything in the law that states it must be attached to the car, just locked up.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

You guys got this all wrong.....you lock the doors, now get this, you role down the window and climb out of the car that way...see, you guys thought I was stupid like this SB199..
:)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

zeko wrote:It looks like a way (maybe the only way in many cases) to comply with the law is:

1. Drive into the parking lot, and park, with car doors locked.

2. Remove the handgun from one's person and lock it in a lock box which is cabled to the car frame.

3. Slide the lockbox under the front seat (or some other hiding place).

4. Unlock the car door, exit, and relock the door.

Granted, disarming inside the car is clumsier (and therefore more dangerous) than disarming standing by the car; on the other hand, disarming outside would let any potential smash-and-grabber who happened to be watching know there was a gun in the car.

Also granted, the law isn't perfect, but it seems to me it's a step (however small) in the right direction.

Zeko
What about locked in glove box. :?:
Black Rifles Matter
zeko

Post by zeko »

Locked in a glove box should be OK if your glove box can be locked -- neither of our vehicles has a locking glove box.

Zeko
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Maybe someone can build a drive-able glovebox that can be locked!
Think outside the Glovebox!
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Face

Post by Face »

carmen fovozzo wrote:You guys got this all wrong.....you lock the doors, now get this, you role down the window and climb out of the car that way...see, you guys thought I was stupid like this SB199..
:)
This 65 body year old ain't climbin' thru no window.

I don't think anyone other than the skinny jean crowd could even fit through my side windows. My glove box is so small I could not place any full size in it, most compacts would be a stretch - but no lock anyway.

I bought a lock box before I even received my CHL - in fact 2, one was crappy, the other had a crappy lock - modded box 2 with box 1's lock. Think I've used it twice in 5 years. I avoid gunbusters... Only one I frequent that is is my doctor - goes in the console, buried under crap and parked in front of the security camera - it's also an office one would either need to drive and park in their lot or walk a ways.

No schools, no post office, the last government office I was in was the Sheriff - to hand in my renewal. Parked between 2 marked cruisers and a half dozen cameras.

Seriously - if I had to often, I'd work one of those bedside ez open styles mounted under the seat.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

zeko wrote:Locked in a glove box should be OK if your glove box can be locked -- neither of our vehicles has a locking glove box.

Zeko

Personally, I will be comfortable that I am in compliance by simply having it in my glove box with the car locked. I know there are those that disagree, but I will feel fine about it.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

FormerNavy wrote:Personally, I will be comfortable that I am in compliance by simply having it in my glove box with the car locked. I know there are those that disagree, but I will feel fine about it.
Agreed.

I think this law is good. It's a state level warning to employers that whats inside a employees vehicle is off limits to them.

I TOTALLY disagree with "tweeds rules" regarding gun ownership and employment! I have had employees & managers go to Camp Perry and shoot for the first time because I shared the 2nd Amendment with them and rejected the so-called "tweeds rules". :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I choose to "parking lot carry", this will be my approach:
1. Carry a reliable,but economical handgun for work commute. There is a possibility of theft. 2 spare mags/speed loaders in glove box.

2.Use pocket holster or belt-slide holster. These are easy to remove while driving (not at red light).

3. While driving, remove gun/holster about 1/4 mile from work, and place in no-lock glove compartment.

4. Park. Exit car, lock, have safe work day.

5. I do agree on a "no gun stickers" on vehicle, because there "may be/will be" a gun stored inside. I suppose my 12 inch diameter NRA Life Member sticker on my machinist's tool box inside work can stay (in violation of "tweeds rules). :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's really no big deal. After this law takes affect, my/our employers will have no authority over what's inside our cars. :)
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

JU-87 wrote:I think this law is good. It's a state level warning to employers that whats inside a employees vehicle is off limits to them.
It's really no big deal. After this law takes affect, my/our employers will have no authority over what's inside our cars. :)
Au contraire, mon ami. This law does absolutely NOTHING to affect the authority of an employer to regulate the possession of whatever OTHER items (alcohol, drugs, knives, whatever) it deems unwanted on the premises. This law will NOT negate the employer's right to request a vehicle search in regard to anything it deems prohibitive. As always, an employee is free to refuse any such request. Said refusal could subject the employee to disciplinary action which could result in termination. Proceed at your own risk.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

Serious questions:
What employers in Ohio are literally searching employee vehicles? I hear discussion of this possibility, but that action sounds so extreme that I would like to know who these businesses are - by name.

Has anyone actually been terminated because an employer searched an employee's personal vehicle and found a legal firearm?
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

sd790 wrote:Serious questions:
What employers in Ohio are literally searching employee vehicles? I hear discussion of this possibility, but that action sounds so extreme that I would like to know who these businesses are - by name.

Has anyone actually been terminated because an employer searched an employee's personal vehicle and found a legal firearm?
Can't speak to anything specific, but I know that Cintas (the work uniform place) did this sort of thing back in the 80's and would terminate people if they found anything belonging to the company (including stuff that had been thrown in the dumpster) in an employee's car.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

CroManGun wrote:
JU-87 wrote:I think this law is good. It's a state level warning to employers that whats inside a employees vehicle is off limits to them.
Au contraire, mon ami. This law does absolutely NOTHING to affect the authority of an employer to regulate the possession of whatever OTHER items (alcohol, drugs, knives, whatever) it deems unwanted on the premises.

Yes. So what? "Out of sight, out of mind." I suppose other advocacy groups will have to demand that. Getting an idea from your post, I propose "Ohioans for Alcohol, Drugs, Knives, Whatever." We can call it OFADKW. :) I will be a "Patron" member! :lol: :wink:
CroManGun wrote:"This law will NOT negate the employer's right to request a vehicle search in regard to anything it deems prohibitive. As always, an employee is free to refuse any such request.

I find that funny. ANY employer can request ANYTHING, at any time. Request denied. It's really that simple. :)

CroManGun wrote:Said refusal could subject the employee to disciplinary action which could result in termination. Proceed at your own risk.
Or it could not. Anyone can get fired for any phony reason. You just won't get fired for having a gun locked in your car, in Ohio, on your employer's property, after this law takes effect.

Best regards.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

JU-87 wrote:
Yes. So what? "Out of sight, out of mind." I suppose other advocacy groups will have to demand that. Getting an idea from your post, I propose "Ohioans for Alcohol, Drugs, Knives, Whatever." We can call it OFADKW. :) I will be a "Patron" member! :lol: :wink:
Maybe we could call it Ohioans for Freedom/Liberty/the American Way/the People,etc...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JU-87 wrote:
FormerNavy wrote: I TOTALLY disagree with "tweeds rules" regarding gun ownership and employment! I have had employees & managers go to Camp Perry and shoot for the first time because I shared the 2nd Amendment with them and rejected the so-called "tweeds rules". :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some (not all) of the employers I've ever worked for don't want their employees talking about guns or guns politics. I've also been in management, and have had the opportunity to see other levels of management view employees who talked about weapons or gun politics with suspicion and a potential liability. It doesn't mean they could take some kind of job action or not promote someone over that issue, but they could certainly find some other excuse that was covered by existing rules if they wanted. I've not found this attitude with employers that you already know somehow to be pro gun. You want to roll the dice and start a conversation to other employees or your employer about guns or the 2nd Amendment? Hey, it's your livelihood.
JU-87 wrote:
FormerNavy wrote: It's really no big deal. After this law takes affect, my/our employers will have no authority over what's inside our cars. :)
From what you mentioned it doesn't sound like YOUR employer would care what you do anyway. As has already been mentioned though, this law doesn't affect that at all. It's also a great big unknown if an employer somewhere doesn't fire someone anyway if they catch someone and challenges the law in court or the Bureau of Employment.