Action on SB199 including parking lot carry

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

westsidebestside

Re: Action on SB199 including parking lot carry

Post by westsidebestside »

Sorry if I missed this, but is the Governor expected to sign off on the legislation?
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

westsidebestside wrote:Sorry if I missed this, but is the Governor expected to sign off on the legislation?

To piggy back on this, do we know when it was delivered to the governor to start the 10 day countdown?
Birdman

Post by Birdman »

Yes, when is the law in effect? Upon the Gov's signature? A certain later date? I could not find that info anywhere.
“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people’s minds”-Sam Adams

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
- Mark Twain, Notebook, 1935
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Birdman wrote:Yes, when is the law in effect? Upon the Gov's signature? A certain later date? I could not find that info anywhere.
Typically, ninety days after the Secretary of State verifies the i's have crossed and the t's have been dotted. Normally that's immediately after the Governor signs the bill, assuming he does. Most folks just say "ninety days after the Governor's signature", and that's close enough, really. Come on Birdman, you been a member here a long time, can't you remember all the silly minutia involved in Ohio sausage law making by now? :mrgreen:
Last edited by Brian D. on Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Everything I have heard and read says we expect him to sign this act. I have not, however, been able to find out when it was submitted to the Governor for his signature.

If he signs the act, it becomes becomes law 90 days after it is filed by the Secretary of State. If the governor takes no action within 10 days of receiving the act, it becomes law in 90 days without his or her signature.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
mrbone

Post by mrbone »

Stryker74 wrote:
mrbone wrote:Doesn't really trample property rights since the car that my firearm remains in is owned by me, not by my employer. But does interfere with private contract rights. Nonetheless, the government at all levels is involved in dictating whom you can and can't hire or fire, how much you have to pay them, how many hours you can let them work and under what conditions, etc. So this isn't really changing much in that regard.
Question is, where do we put the brakes on? I mean, if we continue to let them chip away - where does it all stop? We certainly cannot trust our elected officials to draw that line...
Easy: We put the brakes on the ones that don't benefit us. Then repeal the ones that do benefit us after those are gone. Until then, if other people get to be a protected class then I might as well be one, too.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Chuck wrote:I don't care about any dog
You get a warrant to search my car and I'm still not working there any more
  • Generally, a search warrant is not required for a governmental search of a motor vehicle.
  • A warrant is irrelevant to a private search of a motor vehicle.
  • Because it would be a private search of the vehicle, for a private violation, the police won't get involved 'cuz it ain't their problem.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

JustaShooter wrote:Everything I have heard and read says we expect him to sign this act. I have not, however, been able to find out when it was submitted to the Governor for his signature.

If he signs the act, it becomes becomes law 90 days after it is filed by the Secretary of State. If the governor takes no action within 10 days of receiving the act, it becomes law in 90 days without his or her signature.
He's down to about four days.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Doesn't the law become in effect 90 days after it arrives at the Secretary's office? If it takes a day to leave the Governor's desk after it's been signed, that's just one more day till it takes effect?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Javelin Man wrote:Doesn't the law become in effect 90 days after it arrives at the Secretary's office? If it takes a day to leave the Governor's desk after it's been signed, that's just one more day till it takes effect?
It takes effect 90 days after it is *filed* by the Secretary of State, so yes, if there is a delay from when it is signed to when it arrives, or from when it arrives till it is filed, those all delay when it goes into effect.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

curmudgeon3 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:Everything I have heard and read says we expect him to sign this act. I have not, however, been able to find out when it was submitted to the Governor for his signature.

He's down to about four days.
Depends on when it was submitted to him - was it the 9th? Monday the 12th? I don't know - one would hope, and expect that it was submitted to him the first business day after it passed - but it passed at 3:15am on the 9th...
NRA Life Member

Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

mrbone wrote:
Stryker74 wrote:
mrbone wrote:Doesn't really trample property rights since the car that my firearm remains in is owned by me, not by my employer. But does interfere with private contract rights. Nonetheless, the government at all levels is involved in dictating whom you can and can't hire or fire, how much you have to pay them, how many hours you can let them work and under what conditions, etc. So this isn't really changing much in that regard.
Question is, where do we put the brakes on? I mean, if we continue to let them chip away - where does it all stop? We certainly cannot trust our elected officials to draw that line...
Easy: We put the brakes on the ones that don't benefit us. Then repeal the ones that do benefit us after those are gone. Until then, if other people get to be a protected class then I might as well be one, too.
But that's just it - this version of the bill removes the protected class verbiage.

All it does is force one individual to bend to the will of another. Sorry, but that benefits noone in the long run.

This whole parking lot storage issue comes down to one group getting what they want at the expense of another. Unless this bill gets blamed on the Russians too...
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

This whole parking lot storage issue comes down to one group getting what they want at the expense of another.
Stryker, for clarification, could you define "expense" ? (There is no liability involved here.)
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

curmudgeon3 wrote:
This whole parking lot storage issue comes down to one group getting what they want at the expense of another.
Stryker, for clarification, could you define "expense" ? (There is no liability involved here.)
No liability, but property owners will be forced to allow firearms on their property.

I am very pro-gun, but I am more pro-rights. Property owners should be allowed to handle it as they wish. Just like we can be employed other places.

Life is replete with choices. Until Big Brother says otherwise.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Stryker74 wrote:Until Big Brother says otherwise.
And one thing we all on here agree on is government control is bad. So why do so many support the government's right to dictate what businesses must allow on their property? In a shoe box or in a car is no difference. It is still someone else's property.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.