Pro-Gun Voting Guide for Election of Ohio Judges

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

High Power

Pro-Gun Voting Guide for Election of Ohio Judges

Post by High Power »

For the most part we have a pretty good idea about where most candidates are on gun rights these days. There are exceptions in some races where the candidate has never been put in a position to answer questions on where he or she stands on gun rights.

There is one HUGE exception to that issue and that is the Judges. What makes me upset is that so often we know nothing about people who run for judges. A lot of times they get appointed then have the advantage of being the incumbent when they run for the bench seat that they were appointed to.

With that said; does anyone have any links to a pro-gun voter's guide for Ohio judges this year? In particular I'm trying to find out about the 5th Appellate race between David Gormley and Earl Wise.

I know about Craig Baldwin and IMHO; he's a jerk. It's also a good thing that Sheila Farmer is retiring because she's as nutty as a fruit-cake.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
Brian D.

Re: Pro-Gun Voting Guide for Election of Ohio Judges

Post by Brian D. »

I have one active judge in my social circle. He welcomes my questions about who to vote for in judicial elections, and offers insight with the understanding I'll not quote him on it.

Boy howdy did he have some stories to tell about former judge "Crazy Eyes" Tracy Hunter after her trial(s) were over. Uh, that's MY nickname for Ms. Hunter by the way. And, her legal proceedings may still not be over, and I doubt she'll ever get locked up. Unless her cray-cray side bubbles closer to the surface, in which case it won't be a jail cell she's sent to.

Sorry for the drift. Only good way I know to sort out judge picks is socialize with one, or a prosecutor who's not some kind of closeted left winger. Okay, there are some good defense attorneys who aren't flaming liberals either, to be fair. The thing is, if you can find a court insider who will offer insight, they have to know you won't go around saying "Well, Judge Smith told me..." if you get my meaning.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

If any Ohio judges were graded/endorsed by BFA or NRA, you will see the grades/endorsements for your ballot here: https://www.OhioGunVote.com

JLE
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

According to that guide I have one local judge race to vote on. The endorsed candidate is...well, not exactly a tough-on-crime person, although probably better than his opponent. Plus, this judge is older than dirt and seemingly unwilling to retire, already.

Oh well.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

Brian,
You may have other local races to vote on, the OhioGunVote.com only lists candidates that asked for/received grades/endorsements.

JLE
High Power

Post by High Power »

JEaton wrote:If any Ohio judges were graded/endorsed by BFA or NRA, you will see the grades/endorsements for your ballot here: https://www.OhioGunVote.com

JLE
I had looked at that guide but they don't have anything on the 5th Appellate Court races.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I pretty much took my Stark County postcard from the Republicans to identify the judges that are Republican. I also looked at what sources I could find, including Buckeye Firearms and essentially they matched. No guarantees on that but generally it runs true. The one exception in Stark I voted for the Democrat sheriff, Maier...he reinstated my CHL with a judge trying to act like she had authority to revoke (which she did not) and he stood up to her. Also, as someone who mentors alcoholics and addicts in recovery, he takes addiction issues seriously...willing to extend an opportunity if your serious but more than willing to put you in the hole you dig for yourself if that is how it goes.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

judges are always one of the hard ones for me to locate info on as well.

What was even worse this year was the guy running for Judge on the district court of appeals, who I know is an R, and who I've seen at the local Friends of the NRA functions, I have reservations about. This person has used his position as a trustee in a nearby township to bludgeon a local business, using township funds, and local ordinances targeted specifically at this business to harass them for a number of years, apparently over sour grapes about a piece of property. Guess he figures if he runs them out of business the property will end up for sale again.

was really, really hard to vote for him, I'm kind of glad he lost.

https://ballotpedia.org/Ohio_judicial_elections,_2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://ballotpedia.org/Ohio_judicial_elections" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson