Advocacy at the Statehouse

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Advocacy at the Statehouse

Post by Chuck »

Hey you guys
OFCC is planning an Advocacy Day at the Statehouse in Columbus on Thursday, November 17, 2016.

Stated purpose/focus = Convince the Ohio Senate to pass Sub-HB235 with our desired tweak that eliminates notification.

We are also going to be pitching ORC 9.68 Reform, that is, adding teeth to it for violators
There MAY BE time for us to pursue other gun reforms, but this is our main goal for the day

This will be an all day event, and we are already contacting members of the Senate Civil Justice Committee, (who has HB 235 right now) for appointments, and we'll add other Senators as folks commit to coming.
The way we've done it before is to break into teams of four or five or six, and give each team a list of Senator's offices and times (if we have an appointment)
I expect it'll go the same way this time

We are looking for knowledgeable members to be team leaders and spokesmen, as well as folks to fill out the groups
Everyone gets a chance to speak if they want to, but no one is obligated to, so please don't let shyness or fear of speaking prevent you from coming.
There should be handouts for the groups to pass out and give to the senators

Details are yet to be worked out, and everyone's input is desired while planning
This is a great chance to take part in our own governance, explore our wonderful statehouse, and enjoy GREAT fellowship with like minded fellow citizens
If you can only make it half a day, come anyway and do what you can, I promise you'll enjoy it and you can make a real difference
Unfortunately for me, (maybe fortunately for some of you) I am working vacation relief that week and can't attend at all.

Please post here if you're coming, or thinking about it, or have ideas
Morne is the man in charge and he wants everybody's input
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Brian D.

Re: Advocacy at the Statehouse

Post by Brian D. »

Oh, am I ever in! Given BB62's current battles, can we also talk to the Senators about de-funding SORTA and the Dayton RTA?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:Oh, am I ever in! Given BB62's current battles, can we also talk to the Senators about de-funding SORTA and the Dayton RTA?
Personally, I'd rather get teeth into 9.68 and then punish the twats who are promulgating such rules.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

This one is near and dear to my heart. Recent LE traffic stop interaction with wife was less than acceptable. I want to help but that day my wife is getting two crowns with anesthesia and I have to be there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:This one is near and dear to my heart. Recent LE traffic stop interaction with wife was less than acceptable. I want to help but that day my wife is getting two crowns with anesthesia and I have to be there.
You already know this; for others who'd like to help but can't attend: Submit your negative experiences with notification on a thread found elsewhere on the forum, as well as your state senator, referencing our upcoming visit.

********************************************************************************
pediem
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by pediem »

Please, count me in. Unless something comes up that requires me to be up at Cleveland Clinic that day, I should be able to drive down.

While I have not participated in advocacy in this vein before, I have spoken with legislators in Tennessee regarding various issues when I lived there.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Count me in.

Can I wear my "Make America Great Again" hat?
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

I'd consider coming up if I could tag along with someone.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

pediem wrote:Please, count me in. Unless something comes up that requires me to be up at Cleveland Clinic that day, I should be able to drive down.

While I have not participated in advocacy in this vein before, I have spoken with legislators in Tennessee regarding various issues when I lived there.
Where abouts do you live?
I wouldn't mind carpooling if I can go.
I live just south of Massillon, Ohio.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
pediem
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by pediem »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
pediem wrote:Please, count me in. Unless something comes up that requires me to be up at Cleveland Clinic that day, I should be able to drive down.

Where abouts do you live?
I wouldn't mind carpooling if I can go.
I live just south of Massillon, Ohio.
I'm near Medina right now, but I'm in the process of moving downstate, so I'm not sure where I'll be coming from (or heading to) that day. Might could work something out, though.
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

Count me in, as a warm body.. :lol:

i'll be coming up from Cincinnati, if anyone needs a ride, (I am usually early)
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I'm going to bump this up even though it's near the top of the page. November 17th will be here in a little over two weeks.

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

How many senators will be in that day?

With how many do we have scheduled meetings?
MyWifeSaidYes
kSetuni

Post by kSetuni »

I'd love details. I will be following this.

I actually have the day off, and it is well worth the cause. I would also considering my sharing of both negative experiences, and positive ones. These would include comments from actual officers when notified along the lines of "You've had additional checks You are not the ones I have to worry about"

Its well past time for many of us to step up and assist more in the work entailed. Count me in on that.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:How many senators will be in that day?

With how many do we have scheduled meetings?
I have these same questions.