Changes to Ohio Public Record law

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

docachna

Changes to Ohio Public Record law

Post by docachna »

Here's a Dayton law firm's summary of S.B. 321, which is effective Sept. 28th.

http://www.pselaw.com/2016/09/12/new-pr ... 4d8aea6ed6

In short, hiring a lawyer and bringing a mandamus action in Common Pleas Court is no longer the sole recourse for a person seeking public records. The new process allows the citizen to file a complaint with the Clerk of Courts in the county where the dispute arose, at a cost of only $25. (Not sure how the proper county of venue will be determined. Expect the State of Ohio to argue that every dispute arises at the state headquarters in Columbus, regardless of the county of residence of the claimant ??).

One would hope it would provide another alternative to the present system. I guess we shall see.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
BB62

Re: Changes to Ohio Public Record law

Post by BB62 »

VERY interesting. Thank you for that.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Try the link without all the tracking nonsense:

http://www.pselaw.com/2016/09/12/new-pr ... s-disputes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I'm sure the courts in certain areas will catch on and comply quickly with the new law. Then, there will be the ones that still try to charge the old style high fees for the next decade. My way of saying I didn't see enforcement "teeth" in this new law.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I'm more concerned with how long it's going to take for a case to be assigned to the Court of Claims.

Yes, once it gets there, a resolution will be reached within 7 days...but how long will it take to get there?
MyWifeSaidYes
docachna

Post by docachna »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Try the link without all the tracking nonsense:

http://www.pselaw.com/2016/09/12/new-pr ... s-disputes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry - wasn't exactly sure quite how to do that.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

docachna wrote:Here's a Dayton law firm's summary of S.B. 321, which is effective Sept. 28th.

http://www.pselaw.com/2016/09/12/new-pr ... 4d8aea6ed6

In short, hiring a lawyer and bringing a mandamus action in Common Pleas Court is no longer the sole recourse for a person seeking public records. The new process allows the citizen to file a complaint with the Clerk of Courts in the county where the dispute arose, at a cost of only $25. (Not sure how the proper county of venue will be determined. Expect the State of Ohio to argue that every dispute arises at the state headquarters in Columbus, regardless of the county of residence of the claimant ??).

One would hope it would provide another alternative to the present system. I guess we shall see.
I just took a class on this today and it is held in Columbus but they do offer a telephone hearing option. They have appointed one person at the statehouse to handle all of these cases. Really, we had this path all along through the AG office via free mediation, they simply moved it to the statehouse and made it a legal case now. If either cases wishes to appeal after the special master (equal to a magistrate) rules, they can still do so starting at the county level where they live and work their way up. I do not believe they are given the option of jumping levels such as they are with an initial court filing (where they can start at the Ohio Supreme Court if they way.)
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.