Out of state gun purchase question

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Out of state gun purchase question

Post by Brian D. »

Does Ohio still have a law on its books concerning in person firearms purchase while at an out of state FFL? As I recall, we were limited to long guns only buys, and only in states directly adjoining Ohio. Is that still in effect? It not only seems silly now, but has always struck me as unenforceable, and maybe illegal altogether. How can Ohio tell you what to do, buy, etc. while outside their jurisdiction?

It exceeds federal law, obviously, and many non-Ohio dealers are not aware of it.

Remember now, I'm only talking about an in person buy from a dealer while traveling. This has nothing to do with internet or similar transfers from a non-Ohio FFL to one here. And of course person to person buying across state lines without any FFL are totally unlawful.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Out of state gun purchase question

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

No. That was 2923.22, repealed March 2015
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

And, as I understand Federal law, you are still limited to long gun purchases at an FFL in a state other than your state of residence, no handguns.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Of course, you can have any gun transferred from an out-of-state FFL directly to an Ohio FFL if the gun is legal in the state. Then you do the paperwork here at your local FFL.

Just adding for clarification for some readers.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:No. That was 2923.22, repealed March 2015
Thanks, guess I forgot that provision was repealed during the most recent every-two-years cleanup. I wonder if non-Ohio dealers are aware? They get BATFE "guidance" in such matters, and the feds don't exactly rush to share updates.

From now on I'll peruse the long guns a little closer when on vacation. And will take along a copy of that updated ORC section.

********************************************************************************
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustaShooter and Mr. Glock, I appreciate the reiteration/clarification.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I wonder how many dealers outside of Ohio know the law was changed? Probably not all that many, seeing as how BATFE is more or less tasked with compiling and updating various gun law changes at all levels. They ain't too swift.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

On a related note (didn't see reason to start another thread) I had some time on Sunday to talk with several FFL dealers at the gun show in Akron. It has taken several months, but most of them will now recognize a post-3/23/15 Ohio CHL as NICS compliant and sell the holder a firearm without calling in/computering in the background check. Obviously you still have to fill out the federal Form 4473. In fact, because the show venue (Summit County Fairgrounds arena) is not hooked up for Wi-Fi, and the NICS phone lines were slow, they were happy to be able to skip that step when possible.