CHL picture

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dingode

CHL picture

Post by dingode »

I was talking a friend from Michigan about shooting/guns and I happened to mention that I need to get my CHL renewed here pretty soon. We then started to talk about the process and he said that in Michigan they just pull your drivers license photo to use on your CPL.

Does Ohio store DL photos, and if they do why can't we use them for our CHL's? Passport photos cost $10 and just getting one is a hassle especially if Ohio already has a perfectly good picture of me stored online. This seems like it would be pretty simple legislation to pass and would make the process easier. Of course constitutional carry would even be better.
TJW815

Re: CHL picture

Post by TJW815 »

Yes, your drivers license photo is stored and accessible via a LEADS terminal.

What will really bother you is that a number of counties don't even use the photo you provide instead opting for one taken by them.
mreising

Post by mreising »

TJW815 wrote:Yes, your drivers license photo is stored and accessible via a LEADS terminal.

What will really bother you is that a number of counties don't even use the photo you provide instead opting for one taken by them.
In general, the photo you provide for the application is used as part of that process, i.e. the background check, etc. The photo on the CHL is what is taken by the county at the time of application or time of issue. The two photos do not have the same purpose. Many counties do not require a photo be submitted with an application for renewal because they already have your photo in the system from your original license. FWIW, you can take and print your own photo as long as it is substantially similar to a passport photo.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

The "passport" photo (which is really only a size-regulated thing - I've used my own a couple times) is used to identify the individual who presented the application until the time the license is issued. For their convenience, the hardware grabs a picture of you at that time - either with a camera, or from LEADS - that becomes the "file photo" and your original is just filed in the same packet.

What they want to do is avoid somebody else picking up the CHL....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Well said. 8)
Abandon ye all HOPE!
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

SMMAssociates wrote:The "passport" photo (which is really only a size-regulated thing - I've used my own a couple times) is used to identify the individual who presented the application until the time the license is issued. For their convenience, the hardware grabs a picture of you at that time - either with a camera, or from LEADS - that becomes the "file photo" and your original is just filed in the same packet.

What they want to do is avoid somebody else picking up the CHL....

Regards,

That's applicable in the cases where you pick up your CHL at a later date. What about the cases where you obtain your CHL while you are there?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

SMMAssociates wrote:What they want to do is avoid somebody else picking up the CHL....
That doesn't really make any sense - some departments issue on the spot, some mail the license, and those that require a second visit to pick up the license could simply check the drivers license of the person picking it up.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

JustaShooter wrote:
SMMAssociates wrote:What they want to do is avoid somebody else picking up the CHL....
That doesn't really make any sense - some departments issue on the spot, some mail the license, and those that require a second visit to pick up the license could simply check the drivers license of the person picking it up.
Who ever said all of Ohio's Laws made sense! :shock:
Abandon ye all HOPE!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Cruiser wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
Who ever said all of Ohio's Laws made sense! :shock:
And that there is the big key. It's written in the law that we must take a photo with us and nobody has ever tried to change that. Until then, we must take a photo with us. If counties wish to ignore that they can.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

I believe the instructions on the Lake Co. site makes note that NO picture is required to be brought in as they are taken on site.

Is this county breaking state requirements?
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

gaptrick wrote:I believe the instructions on the Lake Co. site makes note that NO picture is required to be brought in as they are taken on site.

Yes...

B) An applicant for a concealed handgun license who is a resident of this state shall submit a completed application form and all of the material and information described in divisions (B)(1) to (6) of this section to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or to the sheriff of any county adjacent to the county in which the applicant resides. An applicant for a license who resides in another state shall submit a completed application form and all of the material and information described in divisions (B)(1) to (7) of this section to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant is employed or to the sheriff of any county adjacent to the county in which the applicant is employed:

(2) A color photograph of the applicant that was taken within thirty days prior to the date of the application;

Renewals however require no photo.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
gaptrick wrote:I believe the instructions on the Lake Co. site makes note that NO picture is required to be brought in as they are taken on site.

Yes...

B) An applicant for a concealed handgun license who is a resident of this state shall submit a completed application form and all of the material and information described in divisions (B)(1) to (6) of this section to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or to the sheriff of any county adjacent to the county in which the applicant resides. An applicant for a license who resides in another state shall submit a completed application form and all of the material and information described in divisions (B)(1) to (7) of this section to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant is employed or to the sheriff of any county adjacent to the county in which the applicant is employed:

(2) A color photograph of the applicant that was taken within thirty days prior to the date of the application;

With all due respect I think you are looking at it wrong. The sheriff taking the picture of the applicant for the application prior to submission doesn't appear to me to violate the law, they are simply providing a service to the applicant. As long as the picture is taken within thirty days prior and is submitted with the application, it reads to me like it meets the requirements.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

JustaShooter wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:

Yes...

With all due respect I think you are looking at it wrong. The sheriff taking the picture of the applicant for the application prior to submission doesn't appear to me to violate the law, they are simply providing a service to the applicant. As long as the picture is taken within thirty days prior and is submitted with the application, it reads to me like it meets the requirements.
Well, you aren't "submitting" it to the sheriff then.

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Really, you guys want to grumble about NOT having to go through the hassle of getting a passport photo and bringing it with you? :mrgreen:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

WY_Not wrote:Really, you guys want to grumble about NOT having to go through the hassle of getting a passport photo and bringing it with you? :mrgreen:

That's what i was thinkin'......so just shut up about it.
If some anti gets wind of something so petty, that could be twisted as being illegal, just to jam a bunch of us up, well......just sayin'.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".