ORC for Ohio ID to rent guns

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

lklawson

ORC for Ohio ID to rent guns

Post by lklawson »

I'm looking for the ORC text which requires an Ohio ID to rent guns. I'd like to read the full text.

Thank you.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Banned from Boxing! The forgotten grappling techniques of historic Pugilism
http://www.lulu.com/lawson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martial Arts from the West - http://cbd.atspace.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JediSkipdogg

Re: ORC for Ohio ID to rent guns

Post by JediSkipdogg »

There is none. So nothing to find. If a store wants to make that their policy though, as a private business they have every right to.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

JediSkipdogg wrote:If a store wants to make that their policy though, as a private business they have every right to.
Or more likely, if the store's insurance company wants them to.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

It's just easier for a store to lie about a policy like that being a 'law' to encourage the customer to submit.

And don't blame the employee as the management and/or owner may have started the...'misinformation'.

Feel free to turn on a recorder of some kind and go back to the store and ask THEM to provide you with the law of which they speak. :wink:

(I am SUCH a troublemaker. :twisted: )
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I can't imagine a range not requiring a valid photo ID for their range rentals, unless you are personally acquainted with the staff/owner. ID from same state range is in? Especially for use of a handgun? I'm not surprised.

Certainly it might be different at a range located in an area inundated with vacationers.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Brian D. wrote:I can't imagine a range not requiring a valid photo ID for their range rentals, unless you are personally acquainted with the staff/owner. ID from same state range is in? Especially for use of a handgun? I'm not surprised.

Certainly it might be different at a range located in an area inundated with vacationers.

Common sense business....you want my gun I want your DL .
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

It disenfranchises people in certain community's more then others. Those that can't easily access getting an ID.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I am unfamiliar w/ this. Does the shop simply look at ID to verify age/resident status? Do they photocopy it, or physically hold onto it?
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Don't misinterpret my comment.

Viewing and/or holding your DL is a policy many ranges have, and I have no problem with that. If you run off with their gun, they'll have your DL in hand to give to the police.

The OP was told that it was required BY LAW, which it isn't.

On-premises rentals aren't even considered "transfers".
Rental of Firearms On-Premises

ATF has previously held that the rental of firearms for
use on a Federal firearms licensee’s (FFL’s) business premises
is not considered to be a sale, disposition, or delivery
of the firearms. For this reason, an ATF Form 4473 is
not required to be completed and no NICS background
check is required. The FFL also does not need to log the
firearm out of the acquisition and disposition (A&D)
record. A licensee may rent a handgun to a person less
than 21 years of age, or a long gun to a person less
than 18 years of age for use at an on-premises shooting
range. ...
https://www.atf.gov/file/5046/download" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WhyNot wrote:I am unfamiliar w/ this. Does the shop simply look at ID to verify age/resident status? Do they photocopy it, or physically hold onto it?
At the ranges I'm familiar with, they hold your ID until you return the gun and pay for the rental.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

JustaShooter wrote:
WhyNot wrote:I am unfamiliar w/ this. Does the shop simply look at ID to verify age/resident status? Do they photocopy it, or physically hold onto it?
At the ranges I'm familiar with, they hold your ID until you return the gun and pay for the rental.
I have been to ranges throughout the United States and rented guns at many of them. In every instance, without fail, the shop held my driver's license while I had possession of the firearm. I've been to some ranges (including at least one here in NW Ohio) that will hold my DL just to use the range.

This has never seemed odd to me in the least.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

The original poster was dealing with either an ignorant or untruthful range employee. Certainly some of us have heard from bank employees that there's a federal law against carrying in banks. Sometimes that's what the bosses tell them, the employee isn't attempting to be deceptive. Or, sometimes they are.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

sodbuster95 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
I have been to ranges throughout the United States and rented guns at many of them. In every instance, without fail, the shop held my driver's license while I had possession of the firearm. I've been to some ranges (including at least one here in NW Ohio) that will hold my DL just to use the range.

This has never seemed odd to me in the least.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Somehow in the reply above I lost my internet connection, only the quotes showed up, too late to edit it now (unless I guess I reply to myself ) What I wanted to say was that on the few occasions I go to a gunstore type range I rarely have had someone actually keep the DL until I was finished, even if I do rent a handgun. It's been so long since that happened I can't even recall when or where. They've all asked to see it or scan it, but I usually get it back afterwards. There's one place that claims they even run some kind of background check before you can use their range. Not that it would bother me I guess, just not a regular experience for me.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

M-Quigley wrote:There's one place that claims they even run some kind of background check before you can use their range. Not that it would bother me I guess, just not a regular experience for me.
Somehow I doubt that's really happening ... That'd be cost prohibitive. Not to mention highly inaccurate and it could actually subject them to more liability.
Q: Did you run a background check on the guy who shot up the range?
A: No - the law doesn't require it nor is it a common business practice to do so.

Q: Did you run a background check on the guy who shot up the range?
A: Oh yes, we run background checks on everybody because we want to be safe and it's reassuring to the public.
Q: So then how did your supposed background check miss the three felony convictions on this guy's record?
A: Ahh, umm...
Q: So what you're saying is you advertised that everyone was vetted but in reality, these checks were worthless.
A: Uhhm...