Portman, Kasich talk of limiting gun access after Orlando

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Portman, Kasich talk of limiting gun access after Orlando

Post by rickt »

With Trump, Kasich and Portman suddenly supporting this, I believe we are seeing some momentum.
Two of Ohio’s top Republicans expressed dismay Tuesday over how the man who killed 49 people at an Orlando nightclub got access to guns.

“If you’re being investigated a couple of times by the FBI and you’re also threatening your workers, your coworkers, I don’t know why you ought to have access to a gun,” said Ohio Gov. John Kasich, who stopped short of calling for any weapons bans in the wake of the shooting.

Sen. Rob Portman, meanwhile, in a conference call with reporters, said anyone on the terrorist watch list should be barred from buying weapons. The statement appeared in conflict with a vote he made in December. At the time, Portman said he was concerned that people would be erroneously put on the list.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... oting.html
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Portman, Kasich talk of limiting gun access after Orland

Post by Javelin Man »

Would Strickland be comfortable voting for limiting gun access like Portman is insinuating? :?:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Rob Portman is going to screw around and lose my vote,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I wonder how the Orlando massacre plus Portman's stance on gay marriage softening because of his gay son factor into this? Just a question.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Javelin Man wrote:Would Strickland be comfortable voting for limiting gun access like Portman is insinuating? :?:
I believe Strickland would be comfortable voting for whatever She tells him to.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Gee, I could've sworn I recalled reading that at the time the killer bought the guns that, thanks to the FBI, he wasn't even on the terrorist watch list. After all, they interviewed him about his statements, and he said basically he was only kidding. :roll: Don't these politicians know this, or do they just not care? (I'm leaning towards the latter.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/06/not-ju ... -fly-list/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

It appears the news media misrepresented Rob Portman's stance on denying firearms purchases to those on the terrorism watch list. Many news outlets are saying that he has changed his position and now supports that amendment, but that is incorrect. Rob Portman has not changed his position, which was to support a Republican alternative amendment that would give the U.S. attorney general the power to block a gun sale to a person on the terrorist watch list for 72 hours, but then requires DOJ to go to court and convince a judge that there’s probable cause to believe the purchaser is a known or suspected terrorist.

http://wksu.org/post/portman-insists-re ... s#stream/0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

In which case, if they are proven to be a known or suspected terrorist then jail or deport them.
JustaShooter wrote:It appears the news media misrepresented Rob Portman's stance on denying firearms purchases to those on the terrorism watch list. Many news outlets are saying that he has changed his position and now supports that amendment, but that is incorrect. Rob Portman has not changed his position, which was to support a Republican alternative amendment that would give the U.S. attorney general the power to block a gun sale to a person on the terrorist watch list for 72 hours, but then requires DOJ to go to court and convince a judge that there’s probable cause to believe the purchaser is a known or suspected terrorist.

http://wksu.org/post/portman-insists-re ... s#stream/0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JustaShooter wrote:It appears the news media misrepresented Rob Portman's stance on denying firearms purchases to those on the terrorism watch list. Many news outlets are saying that he has changed his position and now supports that amendment, but that is incorrect. Rob Portman has not changed his position, which was to support a Republican alternative amendment that would give the U.S. attorney general the power to block a gun sale to a person on the terrorist watch list for 72 hours, but then requires DOJ to go to court and convince a judge that there’s probable cause to believe the purchaser is a known or suspected terrorist.

As opposed to the latest Democratic plan, which even if the judge says you aren't a terrorist, you are still barred from buying firearms for the next 5 years. With this law, all the AG would have to do is just accuse people, either way it's a win for them.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Convincing a judge there is probable cause is not enough IMHO. If there is probable cause then prove it and lock 'em up forever and a day. And no bail before trial. If you can't prove it then turn 'em lose and restore his rights. We shall either have a constitutional society with all the attendant risks and duties or we shall have a police state.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Freedom is occasionally messy. What happened in Orlando was not caused by freedom. In fact, government restricting freedom, specifically the stupid 51% rule that forbade good citizens from carrying in the club, made the tragedy much worse. More government isn't going to fix it. One more chain will not set us free.

I'll believe that they're serious about going after folks on the watch lists when they start prosecuting people who fail NICS checks for lying on their 4473 forms. :oops: :idea: :twisted:
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
mrbone

Post by mrbone »

I'm opposed to the probable cause thing, but if there is probable cause then I believe that's grounds for arrest and charges. So in theory, if we had the "probable cause" flavor of this proposal then anyone who loses his gun rights would be immediately charged with terrorism and put in court. This is not unlike situations where you're put under disability while certain charges like domestic violence are going through the court system or a restraining order for other types pf charges taking away other types of rights. If the probable cause legislation also requires and arrest and terrorism charges as a prerequisite to denying the sale then I could get behind that.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

That is probably what it would take to make this half baked idea pass constitutional muster anyway.
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

WestonDon wrote:That is probably what it would take to make this half baked idea pass constitutional muster anyway.

Constitutional muster is in the eye of the beholder.... or more accurately, the Supreme Court. Let's not forget who Hillary will be putting there....
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Sen. Portman voted with us:

http://www.dailypress.senate.gov
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!