OFMM scores a win!

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

OFMM scores a win!

Post by Brian D. »

Nope I didn't hit the wrong keys in that thread title. Talking about Ohioans For Medical Marijuana, who this week got the legislature and Governor to sign off on some amount of pot legalization. I see parallels to and contrasts from OFCC here, in general ways:

1) Neither OFCC nor OFMM got the bill they wanted on the first try; years more lifting, cajoling, bribing, etc. will be required for that by both groups. But I believe that OFMM has paid staffers of some sort; if so that means they will likely be able to spend more hours in and around the Statehouse than us. Hence the further legalization of marijuana may come on more of a fast track than improvements to Ohio's gun laws.

2) I bet OFMM goes through a LOT more food at their Picnic than OFCC does. :lol:

Anybody else been paying attention to this? The MM bill seemed to get passed and signed in fairly short order, at least to me.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Darkness

Re: OFMM scores a win!

Post by Darkness »

I wasn't following it, but I was sure told about it when it was signed!

It's definitely a win. My wife told me about it. She has 2 of the 20 conditions that would be covered under the law for medical use. That makes one more tool in the arsenal, which we are grateful for.

Now we just have to wait out the 90 days.
It was not fair, it was not fair, it was not fair. So cried his child's heart, and then his child's heart died a little. For that is also the way of the world.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Brian D. wrote:The MM bill seemed to get passed and signed in fairly short order, at least to me.
Let's talk about this because you're right to be wondering.

The key here is that failure of the GA & Gov to address marijuana to SOME DEGREE would mean that the MJ-crew was going to be motivated enough to put a full-blown legalization ballot initiative on the 2016 general election ballot. Whether or not it would've succeeded in its STATED INTENT of legalizing MJ was irrelevant to Kasich & Company - the net effect would've been to turn out droves of pro-pot voters in a POTUS election year where every state rep and half the state senate was also on the line. Thus, failing to at least partially appease the MJ-crew meant that their JOBS (or at least the jobs of some of their friends) were threatened.

They did some political calculus and figured that if the GA passed a very narrow "medical only" bill it would take the wind out of the pro-MJ crowd while limiting backlash from the tight-laced/busybody set. After all, who doesn't want every medical tool available to help those who are sick? And while you might get the stoners to put down the Cheetos long enough to pass around a petition for full-legalization they are only a small crew compared to the folks with sympathy for the ill and the business owners who might monetarily benefit from weed sales. Making everybody but the midnight-tokers happy meant that the midnight tokers were left spitting into the wind with no friends.

Remember awhile ago (maybe 16 years ago?) when there was a mourning dove hunting ban on the ballot? This caused the opposite effect, it caused hunters and our brethren to flood the polls and helped keep Ohio in the GOP column in the fight between "W" and Gore. So these ballot initiatives can cut both ways depending upon the specifics involved.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I actually had ear to the ground a bit on this and came to more or less the same conclusion, Morne. But at this "distance" from Columbus, I wanted some confirmation rather than my own surmise only.

********************************************************************************
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Is the OFMM picnic on April 20th? :lol:
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Mr. Glock wrote:Is the OFMM picnic on April 20th? :lol:
Nice.
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

This does highlight the speed at which Columbus CAN move, when a sort of fire is being toked up lit under their collective rear ends.

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Morne wrote:
Brian D. wrote:The MM bill seemed to get passed and signed in fairly short order, at least to me.
Let's talk about this because you're right to be wondering.

The key here is that failure of the GA & Gov to address marijuana to SOME DEGREE would mean that the MJ-crew was going to be motivated enough to put a full-blown legalization ballot initiative on the 2016 general election ballot. Whether or not it would've succeeded in its STATED INTENT of legalizing MJ was irrelevant to Kasich & Company - the net effect would've been to turn out droves of pro-pot voters in a POTUS election year where every state rep and half the state senate was also on the line. Thus, failing to at least partially appease the MJ-crew meant that their JOBS (or at least the jobs of some of their friends) were threatened.

They did some political calculus and figured that if the GA passed a very narrow "medical only" bill it would take the wind out of the pro-MJ crowd while limiting backlash from the tight-laced/busybody set. After all, who doesn't want every medical tool available to help those who are sick? And while you might get the stoners to put down the Cheetos long enough to pass around a petition for full-legalization they are only a small crew compared to the folks with sympathy for the ill and the business owners who might monetarily benefit from weed sales. Making everybody but the midnight-tokers happy meant that the midnight tokers were left spitting into the wind with no friends.
That is an excellent summation, main idea being the GA wanted to keep control
A constitutional amendment would have taken that control away

Morne wrote:Remember awhile ago (maybe 16 years ago?) when there was a mourning dove hunting ban on the ballot? This caused the opposite effect, it caused hunters and our brethren to flood the polls and helped keep Ohio in the GOP column in the fight between "W" and Gore. So these ballot initiatives can cut both ways depending upon the specifics involved.

And then there's the long term political effects, isn't there?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Didn't say who gets the license to supply the mj ?
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

And keep in mind the fed's have refused to reclassify pot, so if you decide medical marijuana is in your best interest, you have a choice to make: Pain/symptom relief? ...or your 2A rights?
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

NavyChief wrote:And keep in mind the fed's have refused to reclassify pot, so if you decide medical marijuana is in your best interest, you have a choice to make: Pain/symptom relief? ...or your 2A rights?
Yes indeed. "Federal court rules that medical marijuana card holders can be denied gun ownership"
https://www.rawstory.com/2016/08/federa ... ownership/
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788