HB 577: No sessions after general elections in even years

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

HB 577: No sessions after general elections in even years

Post by rickt »

Introduced by Republicans two days ago. Let's see now, when are gun bills generally passed?
H. B. No. 577 - Representative Boose.
Cosponsors: Representatives Hood, Vitale, Zeltwanger.

To enact section 101.03 of the Revised Code to prohibit the General Assembly from holding sessions after the general election in an even-numbered year.
https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 131-HB-577
JediSkipdogg

Re: HB 577: No sessions after general elections in even year

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Many states already do this. Heck, some states don't even go the full year. New Mexico for example meets every year, but meets from January 19 to February 18 and nothing carries over to the following year. You want a bill passed? You have 30 days to get it done. Ohio is one of the very few still in session right now. I see no problem with this....as long as their pay reflects it, which I know it won't.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Here's a good one for the constitutional lawyers. Each house gets to set its own rules for how they operate but the Ohio constitution lays out the rules for legislative sessions, including when they start and the procedure for adjourning for more than five days. Essentially if one house wants to adjourn for more than five days the other house must consent. So let's say this bill passes. Two years from now after the election the Senate doesn't want to come back but the House does. The provisions of the constitution are going to control and the House is going to have to come back, notwithstanding this law.

IMHO the way to properly set the terms is through a constitutional amendment. Chopping off one month at the end of a two year term isn't going to do much for legislative efficiency. We need an amendment along the lines of what Jedi said - convene in the odd numbered years and you get 90 days to do the people's business for $5,000. After that go home unless recalled by the governor.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

As things are now, when they come back from summer recess, typically very little is done between then, and the election. As we know, for better or worse, this bill's intent seems to be giving them from July through December off work in even numbered (election) years.

I have a couple better ideas:

-At the beginning of each term, they have no more than a week to get done with all proposed resolutions and proclamations. (These are things such as naming bridges after dead ex-Senators, or declaring a statewide "It's Otterbein College Day!") Some years they are initially fooling around with this nonsense for over a month. And for certain of these proclamations, they'll wait until nicer weather, so they can go visit the place they are honoring, in person. "Road trip!" No work gets done those days, except political grandstanding.

-Bills like the one currently proposed to allow elected officials of Ohio and its political subdivisions who have CHLs to carry into government buildings? Really? I don't know how to put a stop to such obvious elitism, but regardless of the privilege created, it wastes legislative time, creates distrust, and deserves automatic censure, or even genuine, punishment.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Brian D. wrote:I have a couple better ideas:

-At the beginning of each term, they have no more than a week to get done with all proposed resolutions and proclamations. (These are things such as naming bridges after dead ex-Senators, or declaring a statewide "It's Otterbein College Day!") Some years they are initially fooling around with this nonsense for over a month. And for certain of these proclamations, they'll wait until nicer weather, so they can go visit the place they are honoring, in person. "Road trip!" No work gets done those days, except political grandstanding.

-Bills like the one currently proposed to allow elected officials of Ohio and its political subdivisions who have CHLs to carry into government buildings? Really? I don't know how to put a stop to such obvious elitism, but regardless of the privilege created, it wastes legislative time, creates distrust, and deserves automatic censure, or even genuine, punishment.
Good ones - Your last paragraph expresses my thoughts when I initially heard about it as well.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe