Stand You Ground

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Ray

Stand You Ground

Post by Ray »

I've heard that Rep. Ron Hood and 26 others has sponsored legislation in the Ohio House. Has anyone else heard this?

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Stand You Ground

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Not this session.

HB 152 is the closest. Permitless carry, 20 co-sponsors.
MyWifeSaidYes
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Ron Hood, in conjunction with a relatively new organization called "Ohio Gun Rights" has been talking it up quite a bit. Details have been pretty non-existent, and there is not even a bill number.
I wish him the best. OFCC would be more than happy to work with him, particularly inasmuch as we have a completely drafted bill in hand that just needs someone to run with. We have reached out to him, but got shuttled off to another legislator he's having do "the grunt work."
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Ray81
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ray81 »

Any progress or news on stand your ground?
If hitllary comes to power we might lose castle doctrine, while she enjoys 24,7 police protection on our tax dollars.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Ray81 wrote:If hitllary comes to power we might lose castle doctrine,
I'm not sure what you mean by this - Ohio law provides for Castle Doctrine, and I'm not clear on what effect Hillary or her administration would have over this.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Ray81 wrote:Any progress or news on stand your ground?
Nothing yet - but nothing is really expected until after the elections. It's the Ohio way when it comes to pro-gun legislation.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Eh if she does like her predecessor, she will threaten to withhold our federal dollars..And the states usually kowtow to those type threats.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

NavyChief wrote:Ron Hood, in conjunction with a relatively new organization called "Ohio Gun Rights" has been talking it up quite a bit. Details have been pretty non-existent, and there is not even a bill number.
I wish him the best. OFCC would be more than happy to work with him, particularly inasmuch as we have a completely drafted bill in hand that just needs someone to run with. We have reached out to him, but got shuttled off to another legislator he's having do "the grunt work."
I wish they would add an e-word to the end of their name, like Ohio Gun Rights Enterprise, so they could be "OGRE."
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

I had an opportunity to discuss it with Rep. Hood this past Sunday (8/14) at Party in the Park. He is still seeking cosponsors and has every intention of rolling forward. This session? If possible. Next session? Absolutely.

We also made sure he has a copy of the legislation that was ready to go in early '12 in hand.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Ray81
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ray81 »

HB 228 is finally here. When will the house vote on this? Which other branch of govt would need to approve this for it to become law? Governor?

Republicans Rep. Terry Johnson, and Rep. Sarah Latourette, introduced House Bill 228  on May 16. HB228 is a 56-page bill that would eliminate the requirement for a citizen to retreat before using a firearm in defense of themselves, others, or property.

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 132-HB-228" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Ray81 wrote:HB 228 is finally here. When will the house vote on this? Which other branch of govt would need to approve this for it to become law? Governor?
First, the bill has to be voted out of committee to the floor of the house for a vote. That did not happen in the committee's last meeting before the summer break, so no telling when that will happen. If it doesn't happen, the bill dies.

Then, the House will debate it, possibly add amendments, and then vote. If the House passes it, it goes to the Senate. If not, it dies.

Then, it will get assigned to a committee in the Senate, where it must be voted out of committee to the floor of the Senate for a vote. If not, it dies.

Then, the Senate will debate it, possibly add amendments, and then vote. If the Senate passes it, it goes to the next step. If not, it dies.

If there are any differences in the language of the bill passed by the two houses of the General Assembly, they must be reconciled, and once the same version is passed by both the House and the Senate, it goes to the Governor.

Then, if the governor signs it, or doesn't veto it, it then becomes law in 90 days.

(I think I have the above right, if not, someone feel free to correct me.)
NRA Life Member

147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

Qfac

Post by Qfac »

I'm just a bill.
Yes, I'm only a bill.
And I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill.
Well, it's a long, long journey
To the capital city.
It's a long, long wait
While I'm sitting in committee,
But I know I'll be a law someday
At least I hope and pray that I will,
But today I am still just a bill.
NRA Endowment Life Member

"Every late-19th-century legal scholar that we have read interpreted the Second Amendment to secure an individual right unconnected with militia service." -- U.S. Supreme Court, June 26, 2008.