HB 518: Allows elected officials to carry in govt. facility

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

HB 518: Allows elected officials to carry in govt. facility

Post by rickt »

Introduced yesterday in the House.
H. B. No. 518 - Representative Vitale.
Cosponsors: Representatives Young, Zeltwanger, Terhar, Brinkman, Hood, Brenner, Hagan, Becker.

To amend section 2923.126 of the Revised Code to permit an elected officeholder of this state or a political subdivision of this state who holds a valid concealed handgun license to carry a concealed handgun in a government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state.
https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 131-HB-518
Brian D.

Re: HB 518: Allows elected officials to carry in govt. facil

Post by Brian D. »

Well, this one will get some conversation started on the ol' forum board today! Hopefully this is some gamesmanship by the sponsors, who actually want to allow all of us good citizens and visitors to carry in government buildings, like what's done in some of our neighboring states.

But why bother with the subterfuge? So that the few hard core anti-gun Reps and Senators can sort of be fooled into going along with the bill, or at least keep them from invoking their usual level of "There'll be BLOOD in the streets!" bluster?

The heck with the zealous (D)'s, just shove a good version of this bill down their throats and be done with it. Oh, wait, the head (R) is out of the capital for another couple of months job hunting. General Assembly can't slam dunk much of anything right now.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

I figured there would be a debate about whether this is incrementalism or elitism. Maybe it is both.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I'm an elected union president for our school, does this mean I can carry in my school?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Javelin Man wrote:I'm an elected union president for our school, does this mean I can carry in my school?
i know you're kidding, but of course the ORC or Administrative Code defines "elected officeholder of this state or political subdivision of this state" previously, elsewhere. I've seen it but can't recall where exactly.

********************************************************************************
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

All animals are equal...

I certainly hope this is the gamesmanship mentioned above. I would hate to run for an office.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

sd790 wrote:All animals are equal...
"That's hilarious." {said a guy locked in a tiger cage}
sd790 wrote:I certainly hope this is the gamesmanship mentioned above. I would hate to run for an office.
I would vote for ya'.
MyWifeSaidYes
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

I sure hope this is gamesmanship to get something else, 'cause as-is it's a bunch of crap. This "good enough for me but not thee" stuff irritates me. :twisted:
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I wish that Morne or one of the other top brass who communicate frequently with the General Assembly would chime in on this discussion. HB 518 is obviously..troubling..as currently written.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I see that Rep. Brinkman is a cosponsor. In the past he's been responsive to my questions. I'll try to contact him.

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

I basically don't take too seriously any bill introduced this late in the legislative session since almost nothing will happen legislatively from mid-June to mid-November. The only two bills with any legs are HB 235 and HB 48. I fully expect HB 235 to pass since it is the first gun bill I have ever seen that seems to have no opposition. No one testified against it in committee, it passed out of committee on a 12-0 vote and only two Democrats voted against it in the floor vote.

HB 518 almost seems like an belated April Fools joke on the Democrats. I remember during the floor debate on whichever bill it was that allowed gun storage in the Capitol garage, one Democrat said to his Republican colleagues, "How do I know you will keep the gun in the car? How do I know you won't bring it up here and shoot me?"
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

No reply from Brinkman or his staff. That sort of thing annoys me.

NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

. . . to permit an elected officeholder . . .
Wow. These folks that're supposed to be our friends are getting on my nerves more and more lately.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Brian D. wrote:No reply from Brinkman or his staff. That sort of thing annoys me.
Besides his "work" Facebook page I posted the same question to one of his e-mail addresses. Crickets chirping.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Let's all send Morne a PM and ask for his participation in this thread, like I just did. He'll know it was my idea, don't be ascared.

Yes, I put up the same suggestion in the Bill 199 thread, too.