HB 518: Allows elected officials to carry in govt. facility

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: HB 518: Allows elected officials to carry in govt. facil

Post by NavyChief »

Well, I just emailed every rep that's on the bill - short and sweet:
This is remarkably disappointing. "...to permit an elected officeholder..." The rest of us are just on our own?
I expect to hear nothing, since I'm not in any of their districts and I did not represent myself as part of OFCC.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Brian D. wrote:Let's all send Morne a PM and ask for his participation in this thread, like I just did. He'll know it was my idea, don't be ascared.

Yes, I put up the same suggestion in the Bill 199 thread, too.
Howdy! :mrgreen:

My dyslexia was acting up when I first checked the status on this bill. I put in HB158 instead. The search result was...ah...different... :oops: :lol:

This bill has been referred to committee. While it has an OK list of co-sponsors there is a distinct lack of "leadership" names on that list. That should tell you a lot. This bill (obviously) needs tweaked to have a future.

Don't go hate mailing the bill sponsor, though. He's a VERY pro-gun guy. Here's something from his page you might like:
Telling the Feds to pound sand
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Morne wrote:
Brian D. wrote:Let's all send Morne a PM and ask for his participation in this thread, like I just did. He'll know it was my idea, don't be ascared.

Yes, I put up the same suggestion in the Bill 199 thread, too.
Howdy! :mrgreen:

My dyslexia was acting up when I first checked the status on this bill. I put in HB158 instead. The search result was...ah...different... :oops: :lol:

This bill has been referred to committee. While it has an OK list of co-sponsors there is a distinct lack of "leadership" names on that list. That should tell you a lot. This bill (obviously) needs tweaked to have a future.

Don't go hate mailing the bill sponsor, though. He's a VERY pro-gun guy. Here's something from his page you might like:
Telling the Feds to pound sand
If the sponsor / co-sponsors have an agenda behind this bill where we all get the same "privilages" down the road then I'm ok with it in general, w/ tweaks, otherwise......

As for the "Telling the feds to pound sand" thingy, I agree !
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Got to speak with the sponsor, Rep. Nino Vitale, today about HB 518. In short, he was NOT trying to create some special carve out for folks in government to get special privileges that we regular citizens cannot get. Far from it.

As some background, Rep. Vitale is a VERY pro-gun guy. He's an active firearms instructor teaching mostly handgun courses. His other stances regarding gun issues are VERY much on our side, including the above referenced thing about getting the Fed regulations out of Ohio.

Like many of us Rep. Vitale gets frustrated by some of the folks at the Statehouse who claim to be pro-gun but when it comes time to co-sponsor/support/vote for a real pro-gun bill they suddenly get weak-kneed. HB 518 is an attempt to get these "fence-sitters" to come down on one side or the other, sort of a, "Put up or shut up," kind of thing. :idea:

He is fine with the idea of normal (non-elected) CHL holders being able to carry in government buildings. He only made it narrow in this bill to get rid of an easy dodge that some of the "week-kneed" legislators would otherwise use as an excuse to oppose it. Rep. Vitale is trying to help us all shine the light of truth on the wishy-washy folks at the Statehouse.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Sounds very well and good. How about you ask Rep. Vitale for a blood oath that his ultimate goal is carry for all in those government buildings? Better yet, it should have been written to include at least all CHL holders, right now. The mostly pro gun party has both sides of the statehouse now, plus the Governor, wherever he is. So, this should be the time to ram through all the pro gun bills we can think of. But alas, like always, we'll get one or two little bites when time has run out at the end of the two year session.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Well, we'll see. I see what he is trying to do and I agree with making the fence sitters poop or get off the pot. I just don't think this will have the desired result. We shall see.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

^^It's kinda looking like the Guv may still be in campaign mode for some other position during the second two-year legislative session, so don't count on the 'little bites' this go-around. :|