Lifetime CHL's ??

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bersa45

Lifetime CHL's ??

Post by Bersa45 »

Why won't Ohio do lifetime licenses like Indiana? Is it because of the training or lost revenues? Friends of ours got theirs and sent a picture of the license and that's when I noticed the lifetime wording.
OFCC member

3 seconds

Restraint when needed and action when required.

"Retreat? Hell, we're attacking in a different direction!" Major General O.P. Smith, November 1950.

Before a government can become a full-blown tyranny, the government must first disarm its citizens. The Founders of this nation, from their own experience, knew that when government goes bad, liberty evaporates and people die ... unless the people are armed. JPFO
JediSkipdogg

Re: Lifetime CHL's ??

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I think because of the known problems with background checks in Ohio and how flawed they are. Indiana requires fingerprinting on a lot more offenses and actually places sanctions against police departments and courts for failure to do it properly. Ohio has admitted they know there is a problem but has said it would take years to fix and cost tens of millions of dollars. I would say if they got our background check fixed then Ohio may be more willing to go lifetime....we'd still have to battle them wanting to know if the other 49 states are as flawed as Ohio is.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Probably because there's never been a serious proposal put forth for it. It's not very common across the US.

There's also some side effects to consider:
1. If the BATFE overlords ever decide to accept an Ohio CHL in lieu of a background check on a 4473 folks with lifetime licenses would be out of luck after five years.

2. Who knows what this could do for reciprocity agreements. I could be wrong but I don't think Indiana has a mechanism for negotiating reciprocity, so they go by the mutual recognition method. Would the issuance of a lifetime license be "substantially similar" to the standards in the states we currently have agreements with? I could see a few states saying that because we don't periodically re-check folks there's too much of a difference in licensing standards and revoke the agreements.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to the idea but I haven't really thought out the pluses and minuses either.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

And keep in mind Arizona is one of the few states your initial driver's license is good until you are 60 or 65. Other states haven't picked up on that method and Arizona has done it for a long time.

Just because one state does it doesn't mean it's good for all. There are many disadvantages to long time frame on licenses/permits/etc.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

I've known some married guys that would prefer to go the opposite way with marriage licenses ...... have'em expire at 40 years then renew two 20s. :|
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Right now, I would say it's about the revenue. It will probably remain that way into the future.

I think Ohio will go the way of permitless (aka 'Constitutional') carry before the idea of a lifetime CHL is even considered. At least then people that desire reciprocity will still be obtaining and renewing CHL's.
MyWifeSaidYes
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

Follow the money. This is not about "rights" but about getting more money out of the public.
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
Bersa45

Post by Bersa45 »

Yes I still think it's all about the money and the revenue generated from The Five-Year licenses. I also think if your status changed from good guy to bad guy on a lifetime license a flag would go up and they would be able to pull your license..
OFCC member

3 seconds

"Retreat? Hell, we're attacking in a different direction!" Major General O.P. Smith, November 1950.

Before a government can become a full-blown tyranny, the government must first disarm its citizens. The Founders of this nation, from their own experience, knew that when government goes bad, liberty evaporates and people die ... unless the people are armed. JPFO
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Why not require BCI to re-run the entire check every 5 years and mail the licensee a new license if they still qualify?
I believe Utah is a fairly easy renewal along those lines (I guess I'll find out in a few years).
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

techguy85 wrote:Why not require BCI to re-run the entire check every 5 years and mail the licensee a new license if they still qualify?
I believe Utah is a fairly easy renewal along those lines (I guess I'll find out in a few years).
Texas does the same thing, but you still have to pay the renewal fee. A standard BCI and FBI WebCheck runs around $70, plus you've got the nominal cost of producing the card, mailing it, and employee handling time. Handling time could be a few minutes or several hours depending on what comes back on the check, especially given the notorious inaccuracy of some court records.

All things considered the $50 Ohioans pay every five years is a pretty good bargain for what it encompasses.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

curmudgeon3 wrote:I've known some married guys that would prefer to go the opposite way with marriage licenses ...... have'em expire at 40 years then renew two 20s. :|
:lol: laughed so hard I spilled my drink :lol:
If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.

I refuse to be a victim.
Bersa45

Post by Bersa45 »

Hey Spidey, welcome to freedom and to the site. I bet you are glad to say goodbye to that piece of land to the Left.
OFCC member

3 seconds

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JediSkipdogg wrote:And keep in mind Arizona is one of the few states your initial driver's license is good until you are 60 or 65. Other states haven't picked up on that method and Arizona has done it for a long time.

Just because one state does it doesn't mean it's good for all. There are many disadvantages to long time frame on licenses/permits/etc.
Does Arizona still do that? I know a guy who got his Ohio DL at 16, moved to Arizona a couple years later. He got an Az. driver's license somehow without turning in his one from Ohio. I met the guy a few years later when he'd come back this way. Sure enough he had an expiration date on that Arizona card sometime towards the end of the 2020s decade.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Brian D. wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:And keep in mind Arizona is one of the few states your initial driver's license is good until you are 60 or 65. Other states haven't picked up on that method and Arizona has done it for a long time.

Does Arizona still do that? I know a guy who got his Ohio DL at 16, moved to Arizona a couple years later. He got an Az. driver's license somehow without turning in his one from Ohio. I met the guy a few years later when he'd come back this way. Sure enough he had an expiration date on that Arizona card sometime towards the end of the 2020s decade.

Yup, from their website...

https://www.azdot.gov/mvd/driver-servic ... nformation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Arizona issues an "extended" driver license that does not expire until age 65. However, your photo and vision screening will need to be updated every 12 years. Drivers 60 years old and older will receive a five-year license.

Temporary residents, such as out-of-state students and their spouses, or military personnel and their immediate family members, may apply for a five-year license regardless of age.

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

So, what disadvantages does a long-term license have?
MyWifeSaidYes