Lifetime CHL's ??

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JediSkipdogg

Re: Lifetime CHL's ??

Post by JediSkipdogg »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:So, what disadvantages does a long-term license have?
I assume you are asking about CHLs....

1) No longer, or would never, be able to be used as a NICS bypass unless you picked up a new copy every five years to show that it was recently renewed. Right now the issue date says you had a background check within the past five years. A license in 2025 showing Issued 04/03/16 has no way of showing that a background check was done within the past 5 years for the FFL.

2) Loss in possibly having some states accepting ours. Until recently, we didn't accept Indiana even though they accepted ours.

3) Larger issues with failures on background checks. I meet monthly with those that do them in Hamilton County and they say ever since they opened their second location and greatly improved their speed they have seen an increase in renewals. They say they have denied renewing and suspended or revoked a record number of licenses issued by surrounding counties. The reason is BCI records have HUGE flaws in them. The Ohio AG office knows about it but says it will take tens of millions and many years to fix. It's not even sure if it's totally fixable or not.

How does that second part play in? The state legislators know it exists therefore they will be hesitant to ever eliminate checking every five years. The problem you then have is if someone moves. Who's responsible to then check every five years? How much more are you willing to pay for a license so they can make money to recover the work they must do for you for the rest of your life?

The background check has the biggest complexities and at that point, just eliminate the CHL then. Which current state legislators have said they definitely don't have enough votes to do.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Spidey

Re: Lifetime CHL's ??

Post by Spidey »

Bersa45 wrote:Hey Spidey, welcome to freedom and to the site. I bet you are glad to say goodbye to that piece of land to the Left.
Thanks Bersa, we are still saving for the move and counting the days. Only 160 days left in Cali, then I'm free!! :lol: :lol:
If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.

I refuse to be a victim.