JOHN KASICH'S O.G.A. LEGISLATIVE BACKLOG

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

curmudgeon3

JOHN KASICH'S O.G.A. LEGISLATIVE BACKLOG

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Things seem to be moving abnormally slow in the Legislature. No pro-gun bills have reached the Governor's desk for approval in over two years; there's currently about ten of them on the docket with no sign of movement. :?:
gfrlaser

Re: JOHN KASICH'S O.G.A. LEGISLATIVE BACKLOG

Post by gfrlaser »

Busy campaigning you know. When he is back, time will tell.
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Even when the gov's not campaigning for president most gun-friendly bills don't reach his desk until the final days of the legislative session (i.e. following the November elections in which a number of OGA members were up for reelection).

Honestly I expect maybe a little bit of committee work between now and May. At that point the OGA will be off to campaign and whatnot until after the elections. If there are any sessions during the summer they will most assuredly have nothing to do with anything of any substance, guns or otherwise. Come mid-November, early December things will start heating up. I don't like it but I no longer allow myself to get upset over it.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

curmudgeon3 wrote:... there's currently about ten of them on the docket with no sign of movement. :?:
Just 30 days ago (2/17/2016), HB 235 passed the House on a vote of 96-2.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

curmudgeon3 wrote:No pro-gun bills have reached the Governor's desk for approval in over two years
HB 234 was sent to the Governor on 12/18/2014 and signed the next day. Unless your math is different than mine, that is only 15 months ago.

http://lsc.state.oh.us/coderev/hou130.n ... enDocument
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Your research was more precise than my memory. Thanks for checking. Movement of one out of ten ain't bad. :)
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

And they've already added on to the original HB 235.

If passed, you can renew your license at ANY time prior to expiration, instead of having to wait until 90 days prior.

That will help folks with reciprocity since renewals now include a NICS check.

I hope this bill sees MANY more additions prior to passage. :D

But it won't pass until either Kasich drops out of the presidential race or until after the elections.

Look for one multi-purpose pro-gun bill to pass in mid to late December.
MyWifeSaidYes
docachna

Post by docachna »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:And they've already added on to the original HB 235.

If passed, you can renew your license at ANY time prior to expiration, instead of having to wait until 90 days prior.....
But what will be the effective date of your new license ? The expiration date of the expiring license ? Or the date the new license was issued ?

If it's the latter, and if you "jump the gun" (couldn't resist :lol: ) and apply January 1 for a license that expires June 30th, and they turn it around and issue the new one February 15th, you've paid for 4 & 1/2 months of licensure under the old license that you never got. And if the new law doesn't specify, that means it will probably be county-by-county (like so much appears to be). And if they issue the new one effective Feb. 15th, is the old one immediately cancelled ? How ? By operation of law ? By the Sheriff contacting the state and cancelling the old one ?

Having more time is certainly a nice idea -- if it's done right. Not sure yet this did it right. Maybe someone on here knows more about it than I, but I can see some potential land mines in it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

gfrlaser wrote:Busy campaigning you know. When he is back, time will tell.
Offhand, I can't think of any reason Gov. Kasich might have for wanting to pass another pro-gun bill in the state of Ohio between now and the end of his tenure in Columbus, whenever that might be.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

docachna wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:And they've already added on to the original HB 235.

If passed, you can renew your license at ANY time prior to expiration, instead of having to wait until 90 days prior.....
But what will be the effective date of your new license ? The expiration date of the expiring license ? Or the date the new license was issued ?

If it's the latter, and if you "jump the gun" (couldn't resist :lol: ) and apply January 1 for a license that expires June 30th, and they turn it around and issue the new one February 15th, you've paid for 4 & 1/2 months of licensure under the old license that you never got. And if the new law doesn't specify, that means it will probably be county-by-county (like so much appears to be). And if they issue the new one effective Feb. 15th, is the old one immediately cancelled ? How ? By operation of law ? By the Sheriff contacting the state and cancelling the old one ?

Having more time is certainly a nice idea -- if it's done right. Not sure yet this did it right. Maybe someone on here knows more about it than I, but I can see some potential land mines in it.
Good questions.

A renewed license is going to expire 5 years after the date of issue, as per R.C. 2923.125(F)(2), so that means you would "lose" the remaining time on your old license.

If you renew a license in 2016 that doesn't expire until 2019, you'll "lose" 3 years, but you will gain the NICS check and reciprocity with any state that requires it.
MyWifeSaidYes
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

If you renew a license in 2016 that doesn't expire until 2019, you'll "lose" 3 years, but you will gain the NICS check and reciprocity with any state that requires it.
MyWifeSaidYes
"Gain" Obama's federal NICS check ......... and reciprocity with an additional two states.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

curmudgeon3 wrote: "Gain" Obama's federal NICS check ......... and reciprocity with an additional two states.
Hey, you won't see ME running out to renew early. :P

But the NICS check is a done deal and reciprocity could save some folks money and time.

And the fact that this would remove a restriction, even such a minor one, is a step in the right direction.

AND it doesn't affect current CHL holders who have no desire to renew early.

There have been many threads on this forum where licensees have complained about the restrictive 90-day window to renew. Even when we point out the 30-day grace period, people complained. Well, here is their fix. If you want to renew 91 days before your license expires, you can. If you want to renew 91 days after your license was issued, you can. That would be stupid, but that's often what freedom looks like. :wink:
MyWifeSaidYes