The New Supreme Court Case That Could Take Away Your 2A

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: The New Supreme Court Case That Could Take Away Your 2A

Post by WY_Not »

Pretty sure that citizen and soldier alike used quite a few weapons during the Revolutionary War that were not standard issue or even typical. Many brought their own weapons and gear with them when they joined. This nonsense from the SCOTUS and others saying that a protected weapon needs to be something that is in general use by the military or is what a civilian would typically bring to military service is something made up whole cloth by those people on the bench.

Just because something is less than lethal does not make it any less of a weapon that is protected from gov by the 2nd Amendment.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

OmG!!

You mean, all my ''protecting devices'' in my signature line possibly are illegal to deploy :?: :!:

Shocking!
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
eye95
*** Banned ***

Post by eye95 »

WhyNot wrote:OmG!!

You mean, all my ''protecting devices'' in my signature line possibly are illegal to deploy :?: :!:

Shocking!
Depending on how and why you deployed them, quite possibly yes.

Depending on where you carry it, the mere carry of the sling-shot could be a violation.

The 2A is not designed to protect your use of an arm. Nor does it define everything you might want it to as an arm.

Officer: Why are you operating this truck on the highway without a license?

Driver: This isn't just a truck. It is a weapon I have with me to defend myself in the event of an attack. It is my 2A right to have this arm with me!
Be a Madisonian.

It finally happened. I have now been accused on OFCC of both being a cop-hater and then a cop-lover! Therefore, anyone making either accusation must not be paying attention.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

This is turning nonsensical.

A truck may be used to defend one's life, but its primary purpose is to be a means of conveyance.

If you can keep a set of arms, and bear a set of arms, and one must be "well regulated" meaning properly trained, then its use is assumed. Otherwise, there is no point of any of the above.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
eye95
*** Banned ***

Post by eye95 »

Mustang380gal wrote:This is turning nonsensical.

A truck may be used to defend one's life, but its primary purpose is to be a means of conveyance.

If you can keep a set of arms, and bear a set of arms, and one must be "well regulated" meaning properly trained, then its use is assumed. Otherwise, there is no point of any of the above.
I was illustrating absurdity with absurdity. It is just as absurd to say you are carrying a slingshot for personal protection.

:roll:
Be a Madisonian.

It finally happened. I have now been accused on OFCC of both being a cop-hater and then a cop-lover! Therefore, anyone making either accusation must not be paying attention.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Why? Slingshots can be quite deadly. They are not current issue but they were a weapon of war used by many an army as well as a way to put food on the table as well as a toy.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

eye95 wrote:
I was illustrating absurdity with absurdity. It is just as absurd to say you are carrying a slingshot for personal protection.

:roll:
Well, part of the list may be joking, but a sling shot is nothing to sneeze at. It still launches a projectile which can hurt.

There was a certain Philistine that found out what a sling and a stone can do. He did not live long enough to appreciate it, though.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

good grief....seriously....lighten up

ITS

A

SIG

LINE

That (seriously) pokes fun at S.D. equip
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
eye95
*** Banned ***

Post by eye95 »

WhyNot wrote:good grief....seriously....lighten up

ITS

A

SIG

LINE

That (seriously) pokes fun at S.D. equip
My first post about it was replying to the CONTENT of your post.

My second post as replying to the snarky reply by another poster to my first one.

In reply to the other posters:

Yes, a slingshot CAN be used for self-defense. Cars Have been used in self-defense. Neither is an arm as the Framers intended.

Once again, if you trace the historical understanding that the Framers would have had, by "arms" they m ant the type of weapon that a civilian might carry and then bring with him to militia service. Today's analogs would include handguns, rifles, shotguns, knives, and many other individually carried and deployed weapons that would be useful in combat. It would not include slingshots or vehicles.

That is not to say you have no Right to carry any other kind of weapon. I am just discussing what the word "arms" means in the 2A. There are other GGONIYP Rights and the 9A which incorporates them.
Be a Madisonian.

GroundChuk

Post by GroundChuk »

If I could, I'd like to have my sword with me as well. I can carry a firearm, but not my sword. You may ask, "why a sword?". Well, a sword never runs out of ammo, and never jams.

Not that it would be practical, but I can't really carry it in the vehicle, unless I'm going somewhere it would be used, like the Ren Fair.

At least that is what I understand. Having a sword laying around in the vehicle, sheathed even, could be problems.

However, I used to carry a large Bowie, the Bowie Undertaker, on my front seat and was pulled over once and the cops saw it, but nothing came of it. So I guess it's a crap shoot.

Here is the knife. It was sheathed of course when the cops saw it, but they had to have seen the handle. This is a knife....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJVxRgQBiok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Mustang380gal wrote:
Well, part of the list may be joking, but a sling shot is nothing to sneeze at. It still launches a projectile which can hurt.

There was a certain Philistine that found out what a sling and a stone can do. He did not live long enough to appreciate it, though.
Just to bolsterthat point:
Police in northern India will soon use slingshots loaded with chilli powder and marbles to tackle unruly protesters in the world's largest democracy, an inspector said on Wednesday.

Not content with water cannon, tear gas and traditional wooden sticks or lathis, police in Haryana state close to New Delhi will turn to the slingshots as a "non-lethal way" to control violent crowds.
:wink:

*Who doesn't want to grow up and be a slingshot sniper in India?*
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

+1 :lol:
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)