Proposed (Bad) Gun Control Constitutional Amendment

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

FormerNavy

Proposed (Bad) Gun Control Constitutional Amendment

Post by FormerNavy »

Dem Sen candidate to propose Ohio constitutional amendment... not sure what it will be

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/20 ... /79402150/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian D.

Re: Proposed (Bad) Gun Control Constitutional Amendment

Post by Brian D. »

So he's a city councilman that's trying to become a US Senator. Along the way he wants to change statewide laws. All he's not stuck that big pointy nose in would be county politics.

I really hope he and Ted Strickland rip each other to shreds in the primary, and the winner gets hammered by Portman.

Far as his dog and pony show in Columbus, he does have an ex-colleague clowncilperson who is now a state representative, Alicia Reese. She's yet to meet an anti-gun law she didn't love.

He no longer lets me chat him up on his Facebook page...can anybody tell me why? :lol:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Homerelmer

Post by Homerelmer »

From what I am hearing he wants to enable "Home Rule" again. Allow cities to institute their own gun bans / restrictions again.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Yep remove state pre-emption

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf ... paign.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Democratic U.S. Senate candidate PG Sittenfeld joined gun-control activists Thursday in calling for an Ohio constitutional amendment allowing local governments to impose tighter restrictions on firearms.

The initiative seeks to nullify a 2006 state law that overturned gun-control ordinances in more than 20 Ohio cities, including assault-weapons bans in Cleveland and Columbus. The Ohio Supreme Court upheld the law in 2010.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Okay we know what he wants. Now to figure out how to stop it, and him. Looks like I've got some heckling-while-OCing activism in my future, locally.

I don't think his idea will sell too well outside certain urban areas. Hopefully his buffoonery will be exposed for all to see. (Yes, that sounds naughty. :wink: )

********************************************************************************
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Brian D. wrote: Hopefully his buffoonery will be exposed for all to see. (Yes, that sounds naughty. :wink: )
Hehehe. Yeah, his buffoonery is well known here in the Queen City.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

The only thing that concerns me about this is how easy it is to get something on the ballot. I can easily see this spun as one of those "common sense" gun measures... and people are stupid....
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

This will not stand.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Brian D. wrote:Okay we know what he wants. Now to figure out how to stop it, and him. Looks like I've got some heckling-while-OCing activism in my future, locally.

I don't think his idea will sell too well outside certain urban areas. Hopefully his buffoonery will be exposed for all to see. (Yes, that sounds naughty. :wink: )
yes ask him why he wants to make law abiding citizens into criminals based solely on where they live.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Gee, what better way to turn people who live in cities like Cleveland and Dayton into second class citizens. The places in the state that need CCW the most won't have it. It will be just one more reason for people who live in those cities to move to the suburbs or rural areas.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Aw, shucks.

I had some free time today.

If I had known he was going to have a press conference regarding gun laws, I would have attended.
MyWifeSaidYes
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Here's another link:
http://www.toledoblade.com/State/2016/0 ... -guns.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is gonna take some effort to fight
Bloomberg can spend the money to get enough signatures on the petition
Maybe we can slow them down, but I doubt we can stop them

This is going to come down to voter education on our side versus misinformation on theirs, to be counted at the voting booth.

As my friend BobK says "Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture"
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Right you are Chuck. Our Top Brass needs to weigh in on this now now now, through the main site AND these forums.

I saw the Columbus channel 10 story this morning, Gerard Valentino from BFA was interviewed already.

We need to get on this sooner and later.

djthomas

Post by djthomas »

First and foremost I see this as nothing more than an attempt by an obscure candidate for statewide office to increase his name recognition on what has been an otherwise stagnant student-council-esque campaign . He's been campaigning for how long now? His name (and indeed his whole campaign) has been an irrelevant footnote up here in NE Ohio. And don't get me wrong, the Cleveland media aren't in love with his opponent either.

I'm all about opposing this thing but at the same time I want to be clear that I'm opposing the anti-self defense amendment proposal, not NC-17 Snicker Bar's anti-self defense amendment proposal. Or maybe I'll be generous and give Toby Hoover the credit.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Brian D. wrote:Right you are Chuck. Our Top Brass needs to weigh in on this now now now, through the main site AND these forums.

I saw the Columbus channel 10 story this morning, Gerard Valentino from BFA was interviewed already.

We need to get on this sooner and later.
Well, I'm not "Top Brass," but I can say we have already talked to one media outlet, the Toledo Blade.

I'll also say this - this needs to be a true grass roots effort. Just as Mr. Colion Noir pointed out a while back (re: the NRA), and I'm paraphrasing, 'cause I'm not gonna go looking for the exact quote right now: "Bloomberg has his millions of dollars, but we have our millions of members with their $20 and $30..." While obviously OFCC (or BFA - or both combined) does not have "millions of members," we do have a substantial number of folks that can raise their voices in opposition to this and explain to our friends and acquaintances just exactly why this is such a bad idea.

This is why Ohio's amendment process (and from what I've seen many other states as well) is so fraught with peril - we're never more than a one vote majority away from losing one of our rights.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.