Updated Form 4 sign-off (suppressor)...Answered affirmative

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

maxnobknee

Updated Form 4 sign-off (suppressor)...Answered affirmative

Post by maxnobknee »

Somehow I missed this, as pointed out in the comments Ohio passed a shall sign requirement for CLEOs:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/311.43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

311.43 Certification by a chief law enforcement officer.
(A) As used in this section:

(1) "Certification" means the participation and assent of the chief law enforcement officer necessary under federal law for the approval of an application to make or transfer a firearm.

(2) "Chief law enforcement officer" means any official the bureau of alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and explosives, or any successor agency, identifies by regulation or otherwise as eligible to provide any required certification for the making or transfer of a firearm.

(3) "Concealed handgun license" has the same meaning as in section 2923.11 of the Revised Code.

(B) A resident of this state may submit to the sheriff of the county in which the resident resides or to the sheriff of any county adjacent to the county in which the resident resides any federal form that requires a law enforcement certification by a chief law enforcement officer.

(C) The sheriff shall accept and process the certification in the same manner as an application for a concealed handgun license is processed under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, including the requirement for a background check, except as follows:

(1) If a resident of this state submits one or more federal forms, the sheriff shall charge the resident no more than the applicable fee described in division (B)(1)(a) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, without regard to how many federal forms are submitted at the same time.

(2) If a resident of this state submits one or more federal forms and currently has a concealed handgun license or the sheriff has previously approved a federal form for that resident, the sheriff shall charge the resident no more than the applicable fee described in division (F)(4) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, without regard to how many federal forms are submitted at the same time.

Added by 130th General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 234, §1, eff. 3/23/2015.

Anybody have any luck with Form 4 (suppressor transfer) LEO sign-off's in Clermont County? Looks like the ATF is looking at modifying the LLC and Trust option to include the local Chief Law Enforcement officer sign-off. I know at one time Sheriff Rodenberg wouldn't sign them but since Ohio legalized them for hunting I was hoping he had reconsidered. Thanks for your help in advance.
Last edited by maxnobknee on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How can you reason with someone who thinks we’re on a glidepath to a police state and yet their solution is to grant the government a monopoly on force. Insanity."

Member NRA, Miami Rifle and Pistol Club
pirateguy191

Re: Form 4 LEO sign-off (suppressor)...Clermont County Ohio

Post by pirateguy191 »

I don't think has a choice as of March last year.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Since March 2015, local LEOs must sign off if there's no legal reason not to.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
maxnobknee

Post by maxnobknee »

Can you direct me to the appropriate citation in ORC...calling them tomorrow and want to be prepared.
"How can you reason with someone who thinks we’re on a glidepath to a police state and yet their solution is to grant the government a monopoly on force. Insanity."

maxnobknee

Post by maxnobknee »

Here is the only reference I could find:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/1533.04" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1533.04 Use of suppressor.
(A) A person who holds a valid hunting license issued under this chapter and who hunts game birds or wild quadrupeds may use a suppressor attached to a gun that is authorized to be used for hunting by section 1533.16 of the Revised Code while hunting, provided that the person is authorized to possess the suppressor under state and federal laws and has registered the suppressor in accordance with the "National Firearms Act," 68A Stat. 725 (1934), 26 U.S.C. 5841, et seq., as amended.

(B) As used in this section, "suppressor" means any device used for diminishing the sound of any shot, bullet, or projectile that is discharged from a gun that is authorized to be used for hunting by section 1533.16 of the Revised Code.

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Updated Form 4 sign-off (suppressor)...Answered affirma

Post by JustaShooter »

maxnobknee wrote:Can you direct me to the appropriate citation in ORC...calling them tomorrow and want to be prepared.
See ORC 311.43

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/311.43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
311.43 Certification by a chief law enforcement officer.

(A) As used in this section:

(1) "Certification" means the participation and assent of the chief law enforcement officer necessary under federal law for the approval of an application to make or transfer a firearm.

(2) "Chief law enforcement officer" means any official the bureau of alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and explosives, or any successor agency, identifies by regulation or otherwise as eligible to provide any required certification for the making or transfer of a firearm.

(3) "Concealed handgun license" has the same meaning as in section 2923.11 of the Revised Code.

(B) A resident of this state may submit to the sheriff of the county in which the resident resides or to the sheriff of any county adjacent to the county in which the resident resides any federal form that requires a law enforcement certification by a chief law enforcement officer.

(C) The sheriff shall accept and process the certification in the same manner as an application for a concealed handgun license is processed under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, including the requirement for a background check, except as follows:

(1) If a resident of this state submits one or more federal forms, the sheriff shall charge the resident no more than the applicable fee described in division (B)(1)(a) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, without regard to how many federal forms are submitted at the same time.

(2) If a resident of this state submits one or more federal forms and currently has a concealed handgun license or the sheriff has previously approved a federal form for that resident, the sheriff shall charge the resident no more than the applicable fee described in division (F)(4) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, without regard to how many federal forms are submitted at the same time.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
maxnobknee

Post by maxnobknee »

Thanks everyone!!!!

SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

You make the application using the ordinary CCW application from the AG's website. There's a new section to be completed for CLEO certifications.

Interestingly, the new Obama executive orders will most likely change "CLEO Certification" to "CLEO Notification," reducing the administrative burden on both BATFE and local LEOs. So unless there's a pressing need, you might wait until that goes into effect.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

SeanC wrote:Interestingly, the new Obama executive orders will most likely change "CLEO Certification" to "CLEO Notification," reducing the administrative burden on both BATFE and local LEOs. So unless there's a pressing need, you might wait until that goes into effect.
My one concern with that is that the ATF is requiring applicants to disclose their tax forms to local government officials, where presumably these will become public record absent some statute to the contrary. At the very least diligent departments will enter the data into some database or generate a log entry, both of which are likely subject to public records requests. I'm not an Ohio public records expert but there's nothing special about sending an elected official a letter containing a copy of a tax form ... in the eyes of the law it's just correspondence. No different than writing a letter of complaint to the sheriff. Filed away and subject to public inspection.

Just wait til the Plain Dealer learns that they can send every CLEO in the state a public records request asking for copies of all such notifications. John Doe bought three machine guns, here are the serial numbers and descriptions of each, along with the address where the firearm is primarily stored.

At the very least our next firearms bill must include some language about how the information contained within is not a public record. In an ideal world it would include a statutory requirement that the sheriff promptly dispose of any such notification sent to him without copying, disseminating, indexing, or otherwise retaining any information contained on the form. IMHO our legislators need to get on this one right quick.

Personally I see this particular provision being mired in court challenges for a while. The ATF claims that its not violating the taxpayer protection laws because the taxpayer is the one making the disclosure, not the ATF. But that completely ignores the fact that the form is being sent under the direct orders of the ATF as a condition of approval.
MikeB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by MikeB »

On the Franklin County Sheriff's CCW website it says:

CCW Applications and ATF Form 4 submissions are accepted by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, schedule online at http://fcsoccw.checkappointments.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Emergency Applications do not need appointments.

So, they are only signing Form 4's? I don't recall the law that was passed being limited to any particular form, did I miss something?
"Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

djthomas wrote:
SeanC wrote:Interestingly, the new Obama executive orders will most likely change "CLEO Certification" to "CLEO Notification," reducing the administrative burden on both BATFE and local LEOs. So unless there's a pressing need, you might wait until that goes into effect.
My one concern with that is that the ATF is requiring applicants to disclose their tax forms to local government officials, where presumably these will become public record absent some statute to the contrary. At the very least diligent departments will enter the data into some database or generate a log entry, both of which are likely subject to public records requests. I'm not an Ohio public records expert but there's nothing special about sending an elected official a letter containing a copy of a tax form ... in the eyes of the law it's just correspondence. No different than writing a letter of complaint to the sheriff. Filed away and subject to public inspection.

Just wait til the Plain Dealer learns that they can send every CLEO in the state a public records request asking for copies of all such notifications. John Doe bought three machine guns, here are the serial numbers and descriptions of each, along with the address where the firearm is primarily stored.

At the very least our next firearms bill must include some language about how the information contained within is not a public record. In an ideal world it would include a statutory requirement that the sheriff promptly dispose of any such notification sent to him without copying, disseminating, indexing, or otherwise retaining any information contained on the form. IMHO our legislators need to get on this one right quick.

Personally I see this particular provision being mired in court challenges for a while. The ATF claims that its not violating the taxpayer protection laws because the taxpayer is the one making the disclosure, not the ATF. But that completely ignores the fact that the form is being sent under the direct orders of the ATF as a condition of approval.
Very astute observation.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MikeB wrote:On the Franklin County Sheriff's CCW website it says:

CCW Applications and ATF Form 4 submissions are accepted by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, schedule online at http://fcsoccw.checkappointments.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Emergency Applications do not need appointments.

So, they are only signing Form 4's? I don't recall the law that was passed being limited to any particular form, did I miss something?
Nope, you haven't missed anything, your recollection is accurate.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

JustaShooter wrote:
MikeB wrote:On the Franklin County Sheriff's CCW website it says:

Nope, you haven't missed anything, your recollection is accurate.

I suspect it's a mis-statement by the Sheriff's office because I would imagine Form 4's are more common and well known...