Vehicle Transport Question

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

FormerNavy

Vehicle Transport Question

Post by FormerNavy »

Can a non-licensee transport loaded magazines as long as they are not accessible without leaving the vehicle and not inserted into the accompanying firearm? I originally didn't think so, but when I looked it does appear to be the case... can someone please confirm?
pirateguy191

Re: Vehicle Transport Question

Post by pirateguy191 »

Yes, the unloaded firearm and loaded mags can also be in two separate closed containers. Think glove box and center console.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

FormerNavy wrote:Can a non-licensee transport loaded magazines as long as they are not accessible without leaving the vehicle and not inserted into the accompanying firearm?
The unloaded firearm and loaded magazines can be accessible without leaving the vehicle, as long as they are both stored in separate closed containers, as pirateguy191 mentioned.
pirateguy191 wrote:Yes, the unloaded firearm and loaded mags can also be in two separate closed containers. Think glove box and center console.
Or main compartment of range bag and outer pockets, as long as both close with a fastener of some kind (zipper, velcro, etc.)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Or, two Ziplock baggies..............according to some. :wink:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

pirateguy191 wrote:Or, two Ziplock baggies..............according to some. :wink:
I'll let someone else tempt the fates with that one. Of course, since I have a CHL it doesn't really matter.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

pirateguy191 wrote:Or, two Ziplock baggies..............according to some. :wink:
You can also stop an electric fan by sticking your finger into the blades. :roll:
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Werz wrote:
You can also stop an electric fan by sticking your finger into the blades. :roll:
Yep. I do it all the time. :mrgreen:

Just make sure you stick them in the side that is blowing air towards you.

:wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Well, you can follow the law but a cop MIGHT see you and think the law ought to be changed and tell his Sargent and union and THEY might want the law changed and ask some anti gun legislator to introduce a bill to change the law that we lobbied for in the first place.

According to certain county prosecutors on this forum, not all rights should be exercised
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Chuck wrote:Well, you can follow the law but a cop MIGHT see you and think the law ought to be changed and tell his Sargent and union and THEY might want the law changed and ask some anti gun legislator to introduce a bill to change the law that we lobbied for in the first place.

According to certain county prosecutors on this forum, not all rights should be exercised
You also have the right to hold your handgun with your finger on the trigger. But why do something stupid?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Werz wrote:
Chuck wrote:Well, you can follow the law but a cop MIGHT see you and think the law ought to be changed and tell his Sargent and union and THEY might want the law changed and ask some anti gun legislator to introduce a bill to change the law that we lobbied for in the first place.

You also have the right to hold your handgun with your finger on the trigger. But why do something stupid?
Holding your finger on the trigger is a potential safety issue. I'm not sure how this relates to the vehicle transport question, since none of the above examples of transport sound unsafe in any way.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

M-Quigley wrote:
Werz wrote:

Holding your finger on the trigger is a potential safety issue. I'm not sure how this relates to the vehicle transport question, since none of the above examples of transport sound unsafe in any way.
I think the point is that it could be legally and or economically unsafe to push the limits of legal interpretation. Even if you are ultimately successful in court, your wallet may still take a hit. But I could be wrong...
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Klingon00 wrote:I think the point is that it could be legally and or economically unsafe to push the limits of legal interpretation. Even if you are ultimately successful in court, your wallet may still take a hit. But I could be wrong...
I get that point, I just didn't think taking something that is a pretty universally accepted safety issue is comparable to a potential legal issue of transport in a vehicle, particularly when different cops might reach different conclusions.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

M-Quigley wrote:
Klingon00 wrote:I think the point is that it could be legally and or economically unsafe to push the limits of legal interpretation. Even if you are ultimately successful in court, your wallet may still take a hit. But I could be wrong...
I get that point, I just didn't think taking something that is a pretty universally accepted safety issue is comparable to a potential legal issue of transport in a vehicle, particularly when different cops might reach different conclusions.
Stupid is stupid. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. You accept the risks. But don't encourage others to participate.
-- BobK
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Werz wrote:

Following the law is "stupid" now?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Chuck wrote:
Werz wrote:You also have the right to hold your handgun with your finger on the trigger. But why do something stupid?
Following the law is "stupid" now?
A transparent ziplock sandwich bag is not, by any rational definition, "[a] package, box, or case *** that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents[.]" R.C. 2923.16(K)(5)(b). You can play that stupid little game of creative definitions if you want, and you will bear the risk. Recommending it to others, particularly those who are uninformed and looking for legal advice, is downright irresponsible, particularly when a proper gun rug can be purchased for under ten dollars.

Maybe you think I'm insisting that "not all rights should be exercised." I will simply apply my 30 years of experience in the practice of criminal law and try to keep people out of trouble that they don't need.

<Nope - lets keep this discussion civil - OMT>
-- BobK