Vehicle Transport Question

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Vehicle Transport Question

Post by Chuck »

Personal insults don't bother me, and the law is the law
I didn't write it, but I do follow it

<comment removed - with the edits, there is no context - OMT>
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Personally, I try to make sure my actions are always unquestionably lawful. Won't say it always works out that way but that's what I strive for. I think that deliberately pushing the envelope with a case that has not been thoroughly thought out can have unintended consequences. You might even wind up with legal precedent detrimental to the cause.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Werz wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:
Klingon00 wrote:I think the point is that it could be legally and or economically unsafe to push the limits of legal interpretation. Even if you are ultimately successful in court, your wallet may still take a hit. But I could be wrong...
I get that point, I just didn't think taking something that is a pretty universally accepted safety issue is comparable to a potential legal issue of transport in a vehicle, particularly when different cops might reach different conclusions.
Stupid is stupid. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. You accept the risks. But don't encourage others to participate.
Nowhere did I encourage anyone to put magazines in a sandwich bag, nor do I do that myself. I was merely commenting on the comparison of a well recognized safety issue, versus a strictly legal one.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

"[a] package, box, or case *** that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents[.]" R.C. 2923.16(K)(5)(b).
There are sandwich baggies that use a zipper closing mechanism. Not that I recommend it but as long as we are talking the letter of the law here...
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Klingon00 wrote:
"[a] package, box, or case *** that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents[.]" R.C. 2923.16(K)(5)(b).
There are sandwich baggies that use a zipper closing mechanism. Not that I recommend it but as long as we are talking the letter of the law here...
I was going to just let this thread die, didn't want to raise anyone's BP but since you brought it up anyway I'll relate the conversation I had yesterday. Although I don't carry magazines that way, nor do I recommend to anyone they carry this way, when I first saw the thread, I was curious and asked an acquaintance of mine who is a cop. This guy had never encountered this issue before, had to think about if for a little bit, then said as far as he was concerned it would be legal, if it had a plastic sliding tab device. He said in his opinion it is technically a zipper, just that the interlocking tabs happen to be plastic instead of metal. He used this definition to base it on. He even stated that some cops might actually prefer a clear case to a non clear container, if they were polled. Of course that is only his opinion, and who knows what another cop might say, (or another lawyer) or a judge or jury if it got to that. Also of course it doesn't make sense from a financial and legal standpoint to get arrested and make a test case out of it just to get an answer.
Zipper: a device consisting of two flexible strips of metal or plastic with interlocking projections closed or opened by pulling a slide along them, used to fasten garments, bags, and other items.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

You might ultimately prevail (if people who think sort of like us were on the jury) but...
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

...I don't believe it would be...

********************************************************************************
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

...an open and shut case! :lol:

Sorry.

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

:roll: ......:lol:
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

My ureka :!: moment! I will design the Tactical Sandwich Baggie! With zipper top, and dessicant pouch!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

For sure...there would be many someones who would buy it....
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good