HB 235: Status Updates

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

HB 235: Status Updates

Post by rickt »

The House State Government committee will hold a third hearing on HB 235 on 12/2/15. The agenda says they may possibly vote on the bill.

See this locked thread if you don't know what HB 235 is all about.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84480

[title edited by request--m380g]
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: HB 235: third hearing scheduled for 12/2/15

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Here is what I predict (hope):

House will pass HB 235.

Senate will amend HB 235 by adding SB 199 to it (at a minimum).

House will concur.

Kasich will sign and use it to reinforce/rejuvenate his presidential campaign.
MyWifeSaidYes
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

I can't tell from the committee web site if this amendment was agreed to, but if it was, you will be able to "enhance" your CHL for Texas reciprocity whenever you want.
In line 4 of the title, delete "and" and insert a comma 1
In line 7 of the title, after "experience" insert ", and to 2 permit a licensee to renew a concealed handgun license at any 3 time prior to the expiration of the license" 4
In line 397, strike through "shall" and insert "may"; 5 strike through "not earlier than" 6
In line 398, strike through "ninety days" and insert "at 7 any time"
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

That's nice but the enhancement is worthless without the okey dokey of the Feds, as pointed out on the thread I started yesterday.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Brian D. wrote:That's nice but the enhancement is worthless without the okey dokey of the Feds, as pointed out on the thread I started yesterday.
If your only concern is bypassing the NICS check in Ohio, then yes, you're correct. On the other hand if you want your CHL to be recognized in Texas or Wisconsin immediately it's a help.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

djthomas wrote:
Brian D. wrote:That's nice but the enhancement is worthless without the okey dokey of the Feds, as pointed out on the thread I started yesterday.
If your only concern is bypassing the NICS check in Ohio, then yes, you're correct. On the other hand if you want your CHL to be recognized in Texas or Wisconsin immediately it's a help.
.Gov hasn't done their job, so the "enhancement" itself and the effort that went into getting it passed and signed..well if not worthless, worth LESS than anticipated.

I recall BFA honchos working real hard and talking up the enhancement thing. Supposedly a couple of them were thinking only for themselves, as they take regular hunting trips to Texas and didn't want to have to get another CHL besides Ohio's.

Personally, I don't care that much about visiting Texas or Wisconsin again, or skipping the NICS check when buying a gun. But this should be in effect by now!
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Somehow this bill fell off my radar screen. A substitute bill was passed by the State Government committee and yesterday the House passed this bill 96-2. Now it will go to the Senate. I guess this bill is not considered controversial since so many Democrats voted for it.

Here is the substitute bill.

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 131-HB-235
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: HB 235: Status Updates

Post by rickt »

First hearing in the Senate Civil Justice committee is scheduled for 4/13/2016.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Hmm.

I could see HB 48, or parts thereof, being rolled into HB 235.
MyWifeSaidYes
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

The Senate Civil Justice committee will be holding a second hearing on this bill Wednesday 5/11.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

rickt wrote:The Senate Civil Justice committee will be holding a second hearing on this bill Wednesday 5/11.
I was hoping to offer proponent testimony. Alas, I have medical appointments on nearly opposite sides of town tomorrow, so driving up to Columbus is off the table. I am going to attempt to draft up written testimony later today for submission.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

rickt wrote:The Senate Civil Justice committee will be holding a second hearing on this bill Wednesday 5/11.
I was there and gave both verbal and written testimony in favor of sub-HB 235. Several veterans groups submitted written testimony but no one else rose to speak on the bill.

You'll be hearing more from OFCC about this bill and others between now and the end of the year.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Morne wrote:I was there and gave both verbal and written testimony in favor of sub-HB 235. Several veterans groups submitted written testimony but no one else rose to speak on the bill.

You'll be hearing more from OFCC about this bill and others between now and the end of the year.
I see you suggested to the committee that this bill be used as a vehicle to remove notification. Did you get any feedback either pro or con about that?
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

rickt wrote: I see you suggested to the committee that this bill be used as a vehicle to remove notification. Did you get any feedback either pro or con about that?
With all the unions out there being in favor of keeping notification, I imagine there won't be any feedback given until after the elections.

Lame ducks with no future political aspirations don't tend to care what the unions think. 8)
MyWifeSaidYes
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Third hearing with possible vote scheduled for Wednesday 5/18.