Register your guns?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Register your guns?

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

And, once you get here, you can start carrying your handgun openly (and loaded), WITHOUT getting your CHL.

Some restrictions apply.
MyWifeSaidYes
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

buckeye43210 wrote:Yes, move ASAP. In Ohio, you can carry with a full standard sized magazine inserted into your pistol and one in the chamber.
Yup! And as many loaded mag's and as much ammo as you can carry! Even another gun or two if you so desire!
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:And, once you get here, you can start carrying your handgun openly (and loaded), WITHOUT getting your CHL.

Some restrictions apply.
Yes indeed. But be real careful about those restrictions. Kinda hard to keep it in the open in an Ohio winter. Also as soon as you get into or on a vehicle your openly carried firearm is instantly considered concealed. We do have some quirky laws that one should be aware of.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

WestonDon wrote:
buckeye43210 wrote:Yes, move ASAP. In Ohio, you can carry with a full standard sized magazine inserted into your pistol and one in the chamber.
Yup! And as many loaded mag's and as much ammo as you can carry! Even another gun or two if you so desire!
Which brings up another question I have. You said "standard sized magazine". I bought my Beretta 92F with 15 round mags before California started outlawing them, telling me I have to "turn them in", (sure thing, I'll be right down :wink: ). Now the "standard" is 10 rounds here. What is "standard" in OH? Is there a limit there? Am I grandfathered in? You got me thinking now, and my wife will tell you, that's a bad idea.
If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.

I refuse to be a victim.
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

No idea of your plans, but it would be wise to stay out of Summit and Cuyahoga counties if looking for a house. Taxes, crime, and the other big city stuff.
HancockCountyHaL
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

HancockCountyHAl wrote:No idea of your plans, but it would be wise to stay out of Summit and Cuyahoga counties if looking for a house. Taxes, crime, and the other big city stuff.
Funny you should mention it but we will be transitioning to Akron (Summit) and crash at my sister in laws for a while while we get jobs and house hunt. My wife will want to stay close to there but I am more interested in getting an older, fixer-upper in an established, SAFE neighborhood. I wont mind looking into surrounding counties. Thanks for the heads up.

I refuse to be a victim.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Spidey wrote:...
Which brings up another question I have. You said "standard sized magazine". I bought my Beretta 92F with 15 round mags before California started outlawing them, telling me I have to "turn them in", (sure thing, I'll be right down :wink: ). Now the "standard" is 10 rounds here. What is "standard" in OH? Is there a limit there? Am I grandfathered in? You got me thinking now, and my wife will tell you, that's a bad idea.
No. I think buckeye43210 was making a dig at Kalifornia's 10-round limit. :P

Until recently, Ohio did have a 30-round magazine limit.

That limit went away in March of this year (HB 234 took effect on 3/23/15).

In Ohio, you may now have as high a capacity magazine as is mechanically possible.
MyWifeSaidYes
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Spidey wrote:
HancockCountyHAl wrote:No idea of your plans, but it would be wise to stay out of Summit and Cuyahoga counties if looking for a house. Taxes, crime, and the other big city stuff.
Funny you should mention it but we will be transitioning to Akron (Summit) and crash at my sister in laws for a while while we get jobs and house hunt. My wife will want to stay close to there but I am more interested in getting an older, fixer-upper in an established, SAFE neighborhood. I wont mind looking into surrounding counties. Thanks for the heads up.
As with most places, it is more about the neighborhood than the county. There are places in Summit county that are just fine - but the nearer to the city you get, they become fewer and farther between. Oh, and also, stay away from Canton, it has turned into a really dangerous city to be in/near.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

All good info, thanks everyone.

I refuse to be a victim.
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:

In Ohio, you may now have as high a capacity magazine as is mechanically possible.
Yes, definitely taking a dig at Kalifornia's 10-round limit. What the left call high capacity magazines are typically what are actually standard capacity magazines.
EChryst

Post by EChryst »

Don't rush too quick. Winter is coming.
-Erik
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:

From what I was told the old law wasn't even a prohibition on the possession of a magazine that could hold more than 30 rounds, it was that you couldn't load more than 30 rounds in it. (unless it was being used in a legally owned machine gun) So for example you could possess an empty drum magazine for an AK or AR, even load it with 30 rounds, but you couldn't load it with 40 or 50 etc unless you also had a legally owned selective fire weapon for it. If you loaded 40 rounds in it, it was technically illegal even if you didn't have a weapon for it at all. :?:
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

M-Quigley wrote: From what I was told the old law wasn't even a prohibition on the possession of a magazine that could hold more than 30 rounds, it was that you couldn't load more than 30 rounds in it. (unless it was being used in a legally owned machine gun) So for example you could possess an empty drum magazine for an AK or AR, even load it with 30 rounds, but you couldn't load it with 40 or 50 etc unless you also had a legally owned selective fire weapon for it. If you loaded 40 rounds in it, it was technically illegal even if you didn't have a weapon for it at all. :?:
That law was arcane, bizarre, often misunderstood, and rarely enforced as a stand alone violation. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

EChryst wrote:Don't rush too quick. Winter is coming.
:wink: The plan is 9 months or so from now. Depends on cash flow. :lol:

I refuse to be a victim.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

JustaShooter wrote:As with most places, it is more about the neighborhood than the county. There are places in Summit county that are just fine - but the nearer to the city you get, they become fewer and farther between. Oh, and also, stay away from Canton, it has turned into a really dangerous city to be in/near.
Maybe it's just wise to keep west of the Cuyahoga/Summit/Stark barrier. :wink:
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.