Cleveland Gun Offender Registry law takes effect.

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Cleveland Gun Offender Registry law takes effect.

Post by Bruenor »

Feel good legislation is now active. I'm sure due to the threatened consequences, the offenders will be lined up at the Department to get themselves registered.

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news ... kes-effect" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cleveland residents newly convicted of gun offenses are now required to register with the police department or face being charged with a first-degree misdemeanor.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Cleveland Gun Offender Registry law takes effect.

Post by WY_Not »

So the criminals ignore laws against breaking and entering, stealing, murdering, and raping. They ignore the CPZ signs. They ignore countless other laws. Yet... they are expected to abide by and comply with this one? :shock: Someone needs to gell the pols that issue 3 failed and they need to quit smoking whatever it is they are smoking as it has destroyed what little capacity they had for logical, rational thought.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

HA!
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

30 days in and ZERO gun offenders have registered.. guess none were released from prison last month.

http://www.guns.com/2015/12/01/clevelan ... rst-month/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Under the registry scheme, individuals convicted of a gun crime who live in Cleveland have five days to register, as would offenders who move there from outside its borders. Failure to do so is a misdemeanor that would result in a $1,000 fine and up to six months in jail.
since going active on Nov. 1, no one has come forward to add their name to the list and publicly searchable database. Officials feel it is likely due to ignorance of the new law.

“We think perhaps not everybody knows about the requirement to register so we want to get that out there,” Tim Hennessy, Cleveland’s assistant director of public safety, told local media.
That's the best one I've heard lately. Folks he'll be at the Justice Center all week :)
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

Officials feel it is likely due to ignorance of the new law.
Yep, I'm sure that's what it is.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Was thinking that Eliot Ness once had the job of Cleveland safety director. Wonder what he'd have said about an underling like that Tim Hennessy? What a doofus!
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

WayneB wrote:
Officials feel it is likely due to ignorance of the new law.
Yep, I'm sure that's what it is.
Well, I would venture that's a reason why. Think about it. If they passed a law tomorrow that yellow lights have the same meaning as a red light and one must stop for them, would people not be cited all day long for running them? If you fail to notify the public of said law (which besides a few news articles I haven't heard of a big media campaign on this) how does the public even know a law exists? Yes, I know ignorance is not an excuse. But that has always been my peeve with laws. We see it all the time with small municipal ordinances and usually the first defense is..."don't I get a warning or even told that I need to do this?"
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.