A.L.I.C.E Program

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

A.L.I.C.E Program

Post by troy bilt »

So I just heard that my sons school has decided to adopt the A.L.I.C.E Program. It looks to me to be a shiver in place do nothing feel good program. I have already contacted Buckeye Firearm Association for help. The school has a meeting set up for this Wednesday the 28th at 6:30-8:00 to discuss the program.

Any help from the members here would greatly be appreciated. I will be attending this meeting and would like your input as to what to bring up and any help you guys can give.

If anyone wants to attend the meeting hear is the link to the info

http://www.edisonchargers.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a link to the A.L.I.C.E. Program page.

http://www.alicetraining.comThanks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for your time
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
HancockCountyHAl

Re: A.L.I.C.E Program

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate, Kiss your butt goodbye.

Locking yourself in a closet is no plan. Arm willing teachers and give the kids a fighting chance.
HancockCountyHaL
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

It's better than huddling in a corner, but just a little. It does address the fact that attackers don't like anybody to fight back, whether it's a police officer, a teacher with a gun, or students throwing books. The program also realizes that evacuating as in the case of the Virginia Tech shooting, saves lives over holding hands and singing Kum Bay Yah.

It's worthwhile to know, information is never a bad thing as it's safe to assume you won't have armed teachers in every classroom so there might as well be a backup plan.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

This is a email I will send out to the board. What do you think.

I have just been notified that the school district has plans, or has already adopted the A.L.I.C.E program. At the surface this program seams to be a coward in place program. Can you explain to me as a parent of a child of the Edison School District how the A.L.I.C.E program will be more than a feel good measure and actually protect my child?

Has the school board looked into the FASTER Program? The FASTER Program will train staff members with 26 hours of hands-on training over a 3 day period. This training will exceed the requirements of the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy. This will allow staff to carry the real life tools for protecting our children. The FASTER Program is not a feel good program like the A.L.I.C.E Program, it is a program that will put the tools needed for the job in the hands of properly trained staff members.

Concerned Parent
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I couldn't get the alice link to work. If the "counter" portion means fighting back, wouldn't the
Faster program be a good compliment to the Alice program?

I don't have a link, (yet) but I heard on a radio show the former principal of Columbine high school being interviewed. He stated the number one factor in the killers being able to kill a lot of students was how the police response was conducted, wait and assess before going in. He said the number one change in policy to prevent a high number of casualties is having as quick as possible armed police response to counter the threat. That's great if you have an armed police response there all the time, but otherwise you have to have an additional plan in place until they get there. Think of it like having a fire extinguisher if you have a fire.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

ALICE is run, hide, fight.
Best to first get away.
If not possible, lock or block classrooms. Sit quietly out of sight, turn off room lights, cover window to corridors. Make it appear empty so shooter moves on.
If the bad guy gains entry, use whatever you have to attack & defend, and dogpile the shooter.
While there may be individual changes by school, ALICE is useful.
Fire extinguishers, books, chairs, classroom equipment. Use it.
I don't know why you are against it but ALICE is better than nothing.
While armed teachers will help, most schools will never allow it.
Schools don't want to turn into Marine Basic CQB.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Maximinus Thrax

Post by Maximinus Thrax »

evan price wrote:ALICE is run, hide, fight.
Best to first get away.
If not possible, lock or block classrooms. Sit quietly out of sight, turn off room lights, cover window to corridors. Make it appear empty so shooter moves on.
If the bad guy gains entry, use whatever you have to attack & defend, and dogpile the shooter.

I tend to agree with this. At least ALICE accounts for the reality that fighting back may be necessary. It's a sure bet better than sticking your head in the sand and hoping nothing bad happens to you. Is it a perfect plan? No. Would we prefer to have better training and tools for the faculty to respond with? Absolutely. However, it's a step in the right direction.
Shut up and color!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Why not? Society uses armed guards to protect many other so called valuables. Yet, when it comes to one of our most valuable items we refuse to provide the best protection possible.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
dsk
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by dsk »

troy bilt wrote:This is a email I will send out to the board. What do you think.

I have just been notified that the school district has plans, or has already adopted the A.L.I.C.E program. At the surface this program seams to be a coward in place program. Can you explain to me as a parent of a child of the Edison School District how the A.L.I.C.E program will be more than a feel good measure and actually protect my child?

Has the school board looked into the FASTER Program? The FASTER Program will train staff members with 26 hours of hands-on training over a 3 day period. This training will exceed the requirements of the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy. This will allow staff to carry the real life tools for protecting our children. The FASTER Program is not a feel good program like the A.L.I.C.E Program, it is a program that will put the tools needed for the job in the hands of properly trained staff members.

Concerned Parent

The word you want is "cower" not coward
Pay your dues.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

ALICE is orders of magnitude better than the shelter-in-place programs that were standard for decades before it. Arguing against it because it doesn't go as far as your preferred program is foolish. That's called making perfect the enemy of good.

That said, the main problem with FASTER is it's 90% about the gun. Many school districts are simply never going to authorize armed teachers, so it's a non-starter.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Maximinus Thrax wrote:
evan price wrote:ALICE is run, hide, fight.
Best to first get away.

I tend to agree with this. At least ALICE accounts for the reality that fighting back may be necessary. It's a sure bet better than sticking your head in the sand and hoping nothing bad happens to you. Is it a perfect plan? No. Would we prefer to have better training and tools for the faculty to respond with? Absolutely. However, it's a step in the right direction.
I tend to agree with this also.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

troy bilt wrote:This is a email I will send out to the board. What do you think.

Concerned Parent
Well you asked for comments so here goes.

I understand your frustration but your opening statement seems to me to be unnecessarily confrontational. This is usually counterproductive. I suggest acknowledging that A.L.I.C.E. has merit but is only one of many tools available. Then offer F.A.S.T.E.R. to compliment A.L.I.C.E. and expand the protection. I like the way you described F.A.S.T.E.R. If there is any financial help available for F.A.S.T.E.R. it might help to mention that.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

So after reading the post it looks like I may have overlooked that it is a step in the right direction. I have dove deeper into ALICE and it is not as bad as I 1st though.

I think as one post suggest that ALICE would make a great partner with FASTER.

I have had to be reminder by the good folks here on more than one occasion that a step in the right direction is better than nothing at all. I tend to be a all or nothing thinker but I am working on that.

TTAG just posted a story on ALICE if you would like to read more about it

.http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/1 ... owns-fail/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you for your time.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

I.ve been , along w/ others pushing the Faster program to complement the ALICE implementation in our district for over two years, (Fairless Local), but they are so ignorant, it unbelievable! Any mention of arming faculty and it heads up the butt again or where ever else they want to stick their heads. With most school boards, it's NOT about facts, statistics, commonsense or logic but rather emotion, misinformation and having a warm fuzzy feeling that they are safe...........I KNOW! I pulled my oldest , (home schooling), and my youngest probably next year. Home schooling isn't all that hard especially with all the free online programs and YOU control what they are learning and they are in a safer envirement, (home), too!!! 8)
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

Our system is looking into an SRO to be split (not evenly) with the city.

So, of course that's $100k+ of expenses or so each year, for ONE person to be trained and armed, somewhere in the school system. Response time to any armed event would be roughly equivalent to what it is already since the odds of the SRO actually being in the right spot are low and we live in a small town.

With volunteer teachers, obtaining their own CHL and free training available, you could have several armed "first responders" in EACH school within the system FOR FREE. Response time would be much enhanced as those folks are already there, each day, every day.

Yes, I can if you remove logic and statistics and insert only emotion, which solution would be better.