A.L.I.C.E Program

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: A.L.I.C.E Program

Post by gaptrick »

Spot on WayneB... The one roving armed guard in the entire district is window dressing and is a "feel good" measure at best. Granted, if it hits the fan, and the guard is there when it does, casualties could be somewhat diminished, but as a parent those aren't the odds I'd want to wager on.

Instead, the reality of it that ISN'T a feel good measure, is for Ms. Brown, the teacher/adult in the classroom to have the tools to pull from her waistband and be the FIRST, MIDDLE and LAST line of defense for our kids. ALICE be damned...
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

To be clear, I wasn't trying to insinuate that ALICE shouldn't be adopted everywhere. We train our adults and kids what to do when the fire alarm rings -- we should do the same for the potential of an active shooter. I don't know the odds, but given that there hasn't been a school building burn down in many decades, I'm thinking the risk of an active shooter incident while remote, might be higher.

Anyway, my concern is that administrators will implement ALICE and then, having done something, will say "that's it, we're protected".

Much like saying we don't need those fire extinguishers since we've implemented fire drills and after all, we're not firemen.

Given that what we're talking about here is protecting our children, grandchildren (and for those working at the school, themselves) we should implement an all of the above approach -- which includes ALICE AND armed and trained true first responders.
markiano

Post by markiano »

Rocky River is training A.L.I.C.E. this year. The principal of the high school gave a presentation in the evening a few weeks back for parents (same as he's giving students). Turnout was quite low. However, I was very impressed with the seriousness and honesty of his presentation. He made it quite clear that the old lockdown approach made them all sitting ducks. He showed videos of students taking down a killer. He gave fatality statistics which demonstrated the foolishness of lockdown.

Even better, the school is encouraging independent thought for the students (at least the high schoolers). When asked about substitute teachers who may not understand the protocol, he made it clear the students know what to do and are not to wait for a teacher to instruct them. If they see an opportunity to escape, do it. If he's in the hall, barricade and prepare to counter. It was clear that the mindset is that the responsibility falls on each individual, not "someone else." He indicated that the students "get it."

As I see it, the first step to all of this is realizing that evil exists and that each individual bears responsibility (for themselves and others) to counter it. Ohio, as he noted has one of the highest rates of A.L.I.C.E. implementation in the country, is doing well.
cwcdl79

Post by cwcdl79 »

I actually went thorugh a 16 hour ALiCE instructor training a couple of years ago. While not having any knowledge of FASTER, ALiCE is much better than just wait and die. They stress more about providing information (eg shooter in north hall) so that if you're not in that area, you can leave. Encourage ideas on how to try and secure a door than with just a lock. Finally, try and empower people to fight back. It's amazing what happens when you just sit there to get shot by the airsoft gun vs. attack/run around/effectively barricade yourself. It is not an endall course, but do give it its due.
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

WayneB wrote:Our system is looking into an SRO to be split (not evenly) with the city.
Have the school system send the SRO to FASTER. We will train anyone who will be armed in the schools. ( http://fastersaveslives.org/application ... r-training" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
Once he has some real training specific for these events in school, he will likely become our best advocate.

Two weeks ago, we provided two days of advanced FASTER training at an Ohio school which has had armed staff for 3 years. They had armed staff from 2 other schools in the area along with local LEO, local sheriff, local OHP, local fire, local EMT and other unarmed staff who will be in the building should an event occur. It was truly awe inspiring to see an entire community coming together to keep the schools safe. Watching a sheriff deputy and a school IT director work side-by-side as a team in a scenario in their school, was amazing. It showed how much they care about their students and proved we are doing the right thing.

We ended the weekend with one retired OHP officer who is now a SRO at one of the schools giving an interview to a CIncinnati news crew after the training. He said "When I got here yesterday, I was adamant that I should be the only person in our school with a firearm. Today I am leaving here to go back and tell them that me alone is not enough" His district has already followed up with us about obtaining trauma kits for the schools and getting more staff trained.

JLE
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

One other thing to add, FASTER Save Lives will be the Ohio School Board Association 'Capital Conference' at Greater Columbus Convention Center this coming Mon/Tue in Booth 1123/1125. This is the 2nd largest school board association event in the country. Contact your local school board and ask them to stop by. Also, check who may have just been recently elected to the board in your area and phone them and invite them to stop by the booth.

We have Dr. Dick Caster and superintendents from 3 armed districts presenting in one of the conference educational sessions Monday at 2:00pm. Topic is 'Armed Staff - A Status Report' . These schools are already 2-3 years ahead of districts that are doing nothing. Let your BOE know they are falling behind if they are at least not discussing every option.

JLE
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

JEaton wrote:One other thing to add, FASTER Save Lives will be the Ohio School Board Association 'Capital Conference' at Greater Columbus Convention Center this coming Mon/Tue in Booth 1123/1125. This is the 2nd largest school board association event in the country. Contact your local school board and ask them to stop by. Also, check who may have just been recently elected to the board in your area and phone them and invite them to stop by the booth.

We have Dr. Dick Caster and superintendents from 3 armed districts presenting in one of the conference educational sessions Monday at 2:00pm. Topic is 'Armed Staff - A Status Report' . These schools are already 2-3 years ahead of districts that are doing nothing. Let your BOE know they are falling behind if they are at least not discussing every option.

JLE
JEaton.....no disrespect here but about the "falling behind" issue.....please tell that to my school board members, (Fairless Local). They are all about emotions and warm fuzzy feelings, not facts and stats OR commonsense or logic! :roll:
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".