Committee hearing on Pro-Gun Bills

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Committee hearing on Pro-Gun Bills

Post by Chuck »

The Senate Civil Justice Committee is holding a hearing Wednesday, October 7 at 2:30 pm, two bills which concern us.
SB 180, sponsored by our friend Senator Uecker, which is a parking lot bill for employees, and SB 199, which makes it easier for members of our Armed Forces to carry.
The hearing is in the Finance Hearing Room

Text of SB 180 can be found here:
https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 131-SB-180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Text of SB 199 can be found here:
https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 131-SB-199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your attendance and testimony is encourage. Written testimony can be submitted via Chairmen Bacon at this link:
http://www.ohiosenate.gov/committee/civil-justice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Committee hearing on Pro-Gun Bills

Post by rickt »

Hmmm, the only person who testified for SB 180 was Gary Witt of OFCC. Yet people keep posting on here how much they support this bill.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

rickt wrote:Hmmm, the only person who testified for SB 180 was Gary Witt of OFCC. Yet people keep posting on here how much they support this bill.
Unfortunately 1430hrs on a Wednesday is smack in the middle of a standard work day/week.. We aren't the entitled left who don't work and can drop everything any day of the week to push a cause.

Thank you Gary for standing up and fighting for us.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

How many of you working stiffs submitted written testimony to the committee via email?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I admit to missing out on it this time, not much heads-up. The hearings went by unmentioned on BFA's forums and maybe even their main site.

Oh well we know none of these bills will get to a full floor vote until Iwannabee President Kasich says he has time to act as Governor and fits the state's business into his schedule.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Chuck wrote:How many of you working stiffs submitted written testimony to the committee via email?
I confess, I did not - but then, I'm not in favor of expending any political capital on this issue.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

The NRA guy didn't even testify at this one!

There's another hearing next week, probably same time and place
If you guys want this to pass, better get writing.

So far, OFCC is the only ones to offer testimony in favor of this bill
I hope that changes at the next hearing
Ain't activism fun?

gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

I emailed both Uecker and all the sub committee members (but only heard replies acknowledging this from 2 of the members). I wanted to go and do the in person delivery figuring at worse I'd learn something about the workings of state government, but things are too crazy here... Maybe next week you say?
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

BOTH bills are still in the Civil Justice Committee, and that committee is meeting Wednesday, same as last this week, but neither bill is on the agenda
http://www.ohiosenate.gov/Assets/Commit ... lendar.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We will do our best to notify everyone when the committee schedules come out on Fridays
(If someone would like to help following some of these bills, please send me a PM)

SB 180 is facing opposition, similar to discussions we've had here, property rights versus employee rights, and here is the chance for all you keyboard warriors to write where it matters.
Tell the committee what you want; give them your anecdotes, your logic, your reasoning behind this bill making Ohio a better state.
A stack of persuasive emails just might do the trick

SB 199 has some questions about wording regarding what is considered training certification in the Armed Forces
The discussion is over my head, (I've never served so I don't know the terminology), but apparently some branches issue certificates and some only make a note in the service jacket/personal file.
In any event, it sounds as if carrying this certification around would be difficult, as the bill is written now.
People smarter than me are looking at it

As I said, neither bill is on the agenda for the coming week,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Chuck wrote:How many of you working stiffs submitted written testimony to the committee via email?
Wait, you can do that?!? Please tell me more.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Submitting written testimony is easy. Write out your testimony go to this page
http://www.ohiosenate.gov/committee/civil-justice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which has all the committee members
By clicking on each member you can go to each members page, and on the right hand side is a link that says "email Senator _________"
Click that and copy/paste your testimony in the little window

Below is a copy of the testimony OFCC offered in favor of SB 180

Mr. Chairman, members of the Senate Civil Justice Committee, My
name is Gary Witt, I am a director for Ohioans for Concealed Carry.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to testify in favor of SB 180.
What right does an employer have to know or restrict what an
employee legally has in his or her home? The answer is NONE. For an
employer to eliminate the right of an employee to self defense outside
of the building where he or she works or inside a company vehicle is
wrong. Employers who prohibit firearms in employee vehicles parked
in their parking lots conveniently “forget” that an employee’s vehicle,
for the purpose of self defense, is an extension of his or her home as it
is inferred by the Ohio Revised Code in 2901.05 – Burden of proofreasonable
doubt-self defense and 2307.601 – No duty to retreat in
residence or vehicle.
Certainly an employer has rights. An employer has the right to govern
the actions of an employee in the workplace. Is an employee who is
driving his personal vehicle to or from work “in the workplace” while
traveling? Is an employer’s parking lot a workplace? In these cases
we think not. Why is it that an employer bans smoking inside the
workplace but he does not ban a package of cigarettes in an
employee’s vehicle parked in the employer’s parking lot. What right
does an employer have in denying a legally licensed CHL holder the
right of self defense while traveling to and from work?
We urge you to approve SB 180. Thank you for your time.
Ain't activism fun?

curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

All those who think the Governor will allow any gun bills to move out of the OGA during his lame duck term, raise your hand ......

....... okay, didn't think so.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

AS he's running for PRESIDENT, needing the uhm, how shall I say, REPUBLICAN nomination to do so? I think I'll raise my hand. I think that would be Political Viability 101, pass a pro-gun bill expanding the voter's rights on a bedrock issue. The other candidates could only dream of having issues similar to this come up.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

The only legislation he will sign is that deemed "safe" or "beneficial " to his campaign. If he believes the proposal to be "unsafe" or "non-beneficial" it will become buried in committee, never to see the light of day.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Tweed Ring wrote:The only legislation he will sign is that deemed "safe" or "beneficial " to his campaign. If he believes the proposal to be "unsafe" or "non-beneficial" it will become buried in committee, never to see the light of day.

And bill SB180 seems to be raising a ruckus, and rightfully so in my opinion..I don't think he will move on it..Especially when he keeps shooting himself in the foot with dumb remarks.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson