Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

marc

Post by marc »

I'm having trouble understanding 2923.162:

2923.162 Discharge of firearm on or near prohibited premises.

(A) No person shall do any of the following:

(1) Without permission from the proper officials and subject to division (B)(1) of this section, discharge a firearm upon or over a cemetery or within one hundred yards of a cemetery;

(2) Subject to division (B)(2) of this section, discharge a firearm on a lawn, park, pleasure ground, orchard, or other ground appurtenant to a schoolhouse, church, or inhabited dwelling, the property of another, or a charitable institution;

(3) Discharge a firearm upon or over a public road or highway.

(B)

(1) Division (A)(1) of this section does not apply to a person who, while on the person's own land, discharges a firearm.

(2) Division (A)(2) of this section does not apply to a person who owns any type of property described in that division and who, while on the person's own enclosure, discharges a firearm.

(C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of discharge of a firearm on or near prohibited premises. A violation of division (A)(1) or (2) of this section is a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. A violation of division (A)(3) of this section shall be punished as follows:

(1) Except as otherwise provided in division (C)(2), (3), or (4) of this section, a violation of division (A)(3) of this section is a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(2) Except as otherwise provided in division (C)(3) or (4) of this section, if the violation created a substantial risk of physical harm to any person or caused serious physical harm to property, a violation of division (A)(3) of this section is a felony of the third degree.

(3) Except as otherwise provided in division (C)(4) of this section, if the violation caused physical harm to any person, a violation of division (A)(3) of this section is a felony of the second degree.

(4) If the violation caused serious physical harm to any person, a violation of division (A)(3) of this section is a felony of the first degree.

Effective Date: 03-23-2000; 06-01-2004

This would seem to prohibit discharging a firearm on a lawn... appurtenant to...[an] inhabited dwelling, [or] the property of another...
The exception in B2 applies only to the owner of the property.

I know this is not interpreted that way because people are allowed to shoot on property that they do not own if they have permission (it at least seems to not be enforced).

I did some searching and the only thing that probed what I am concerned about is here, and it wasn't really resolved. It's possibly futile, but I'd like to understand what this law means :D

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... t=2923.162" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoughts?
marc

Re: 2923.162

Post by marc »

Nothing?
OhioPaints

Re: 2923.162

Post by OhioPaints »

Good question.