I need a quick answer please CCW and drinking

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: I need a quick answer please CCW and drinking

Post by WestonDon »

I think legalized marijuana in Ohio is inevitable. I also think there will be a push for random drug tests for CHL'ers, much like they do for commercial drivers. Hope not. And yes, addled retail employees seem to be quite common.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

If employers want reasonable suspicion or even random drug testing, that is simply between the e/r's and their respective e/e's.

I would fight against any random drug testing for Ohio concealed carry license holders, merely because we hold such licenses.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Tweed Ring wrote:I fear Issue 3 will pass in Ohio. This will create lots of “under the influence” issues. I choose not to drink alcohol, nor do I partake in recreational drugs, but this could manifest lots of questions.
If any of my California, Colorado, or Washington employees test positive for marijuana, I terminate their employment. We don't care what state law allows, we still have a zero tolerance company policy.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

As it should be...
mrbone

Post by mrbone »

Marijuana isn't something to worry about. There was once a CEO who transformed a small insurance company into a wildly successful Fortune 500 icon while smoking weed. I think those potheads who have problems would have the same problems even if sober.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

mrbone wrote:Marijuana isn't something to worry about. There was once a CEO who transformed a small insurance company into a wildly successful Fortune 500 icon while smoking weed. I think those potheads who have problems would have the same problems even if sober.
The man was an e/r, not an e/e. My concern is with e/e’s, who are high, hurting themselves and others while on the job.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

mrbone wrote:Marijuana isn't something to worry about. There was once a CEO who transformed a small insurance company into a wildly successful Fortune 500 icon while smoking weed. I think those potheads who have problems would have the same problems even if sober.
It's something I don't worry about but perhaps the users should. A few years ago, some moron almost took me out by making a last minute left turn in front of me while I was on my motorcycle. When I caught up with him, he apologized for being buzzed and offered me a toke. Since I'm not one to split hairs between being high and being drunk, he got the exact same tune-up an alcohol impaired driver gets. Sometimes, when those drunks and druggies start flailing their arms around, it sure looks like they're swinging at you. :mrgreen:
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Tweed Ring wrote:I fear Issue 3 will pass in Ohio. This will create lots of “under the influence” issues. I choose not to drink alcohol, nor do I partake in recreational drugs, but this could manifest lots of questions.
My hat is off to you, sir. It would appear that we are a dying breed. Perhaps we should seek some type of protected class status.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

CroManGun wrote:
My hat is off to you, sir. It would appear that we are a dying breed. Perhaps we should seek some type of protected class status.

In my life, I spent lot of time shooting guns and riding motorcycles, and I've seen what alcohol (friend of Bill) and drugs do to one's reflexes. Due to my age, I am a member of a protected class, but no one cares about my protection but me...
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Tweed Ring wrote:In my life, I spent lot of time shooting guns and riding motorcycles, and I've seen what alcohol (friend of Bill) and drugs do to one's reflexes. Due to my age, I am a member of a protected class, but no one cares about my protection but me...
Always a pleasure to meet another acquaintance of my old friend Bill. I guess my age makes me a class member too. I'd like to think that there are others who care about my protection but I'm old enough to know that I AM THE ONLY ONE who can do anything about it.
Genuine Scooter Trash
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

CCW and drinking are mutually exclusive.

It is well determined that even a small amount of alcohol impairs judgement and reflexes. Since "intoxicated" is determined by behavior, a LEO can all too easily say that the suspect was not handling his alcohol and was impaired.

Don't take that chance. Being charged with a felony can just ruin your day.
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Could one be legally impaired due to allergy medication (benedryl, say)?
How is the baseline of competence established in order to determine impairment?
Is drowsiness not an impairment?

Here's a list of some garden variety medical conditions that can lead to mild cognitive impairment.

If age is an impairment, how does one argue against being considered impaired?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

GOOD POINT!
I have already been through this in Virginia Beach, but not while carrying.

Why don't you have a couple drinks, then walk up to a LEO and chat. Let us know what happens.
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
Ray81
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ray81 »

What can you legally carry if you had to go drinking. We all know you cannot drink and carry your gun.

What about a switch blade pocket knife? I think a knife is also considered a weapon so it would also fall under same category as gun when drinking?
What bout a stun gun?

From a legal perspective only a Pepper spray comes to my mind that would be allowed to be carried on you when drinking.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Think about a small, powerful flashlight. I know you may not immediately think of it as a weapon but it's 50-state legal (even while drinking) and can be effective in temporarily disorienting an attacker and in a pinch can be used as a striking tool.