I need a quick answer please CCW and drinking

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: I need a quick answer please CCW and drinking

Post by catfish86 »

mrbone wrote:Marijuana isn't something to worry about. There was once a CEO who transformed a small insurance company into a wildly successful Fortune 500 icon while smoking weed. I think those potheads who have problems would have the same problems even if sober.
Reading through this thread I spotted this. Anybody remember Atari? Dominated the video game business, untouchable, money cow...disappeared. Saw a history channel show on this company...they were smoking pot and writing programs and literally the company just fell apart amid paranoia and lack of meeting deadlines.

Back to the original topic though, I see the statute on drinking in bars, but I thought it was illegal to have any alcohol and be in possession of a firearm.

As for impairment from anything, I remember an incident from the early 90s. I was driving to Canton from Ft Bragg NC on a four day pass earned from volunteering for an exercise. When I got back from the exercise I packed the car and left. I was coming up 77N in Stark County and woke up on the shoulder. I jerked the wheel and long story short flipped into the grass/3 feet of snow. Miraculously uninjured, a lady that saw me go off gave me a ride to a pay phone. Eventually a State Trooper had me in the back of his car at the scene. He asked me what happened. I said no sense in lying, I fell asleep. This was after the Persian Gulf war and I was obviously military. I told him I was on a pass after an exercise and was just tired. He asked if I missed the deer. I asked what deer. He wrote that I swerved to avoid a deer on the report. My 1st Sergeant (I was his clerk) explained to me the favor he did me, fatigue is a DUI and I had confessed to it. Any time you are impaired in any way, you are at the mercy of the officer on the scene. You can fight it later in court and from experience let me tell you the truth and right doesn't count for much in our legal system.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

catfish86 wrote:
Back to the original topic though, I see the statute on drinking in bars, but I thought it was illegal to have any alcohol and be in possession of a firearm.
A byproduct of yeast (great illustration) is alcohol...so if you enjoy leavened bread...you're a criminal... lest you think it all bakes out
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

catfish86 wrote:Back to the original topic though, I see the statute on drinking in bars, but I thought it was illegal to have any alcohol and be in possession of a firearm.
You cannot be "under the influence". You can have alcohol, outside of a bar or other place which serves alcohol (say, in your own home) so long as you aren't "under the influence". People who think any drinking at all necessarily meets the "under the influence standard" are wrong, but at the same time it isn't a fine line and drinking does cause a drop in inhibitions and impairment in judgement, so it's not a great idea to test the limits.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Personally, as a friend of Bill, I have come to the conclusion I have no business drinking any alcohol whatsoever. Makes this something I don't have to think about much.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

catfish86 wrote:Personally, as a friend of Bill, I have come to the conclusion I have no business drinking any alcohol whatsoever. Makes this something I don't have to think about much.
But also note that there is no ban on consuming non-alcoholic brews aka "near beer." Since that's all I drink, anyway, I don't think about it, either.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Apparently there's a rare condition out there where non-alcoholic foods and drinks become converted into alcohol in the bloodstream
There is a fascinating DWI case out of New York involving a case of a 35-year-old school teacher who was arrested after driving with a flat tire and a blood alcohol content of .33 g/dL. Judge Walter L. Rooth dismissed misdemeanor charges of DWI and aggravated DWI after agreeing with the defense that the woman has the rare condition known as auto-brewery syndrome, where her body turns ordinary food and beverages into alcohol in a person’s body like a brewery.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798