Front plate violation as secondary offense

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JediSkipdogg

Re: Front plate violation as secondary offense

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Face wrote:If not profitable, why do some of these 1 horse, hick towns with a population of 1400 and 2 cruisers have them? Also is a known speed trap. If not profitable sounds like poor expenditures.

I know of one municipality that does nothing except cruise with one almost 24/7. Makes sure they hit every box store and mall lot. And it IS used mainly for those local warrants.

Do they get these thru some Homeland Security grants?
Homeland Security paid for them through grants up until June 2014. After that, the grants ran out and were not renewed.

If I recover a stolen Ford Mustang with one how do I get any money? If I arrest Billy Jo Bob on 14 robbery warrants, where do I get money? The idea behind them is to catch criminals and recover stolen vehicles. Therefore, bring a closure to cases. If everything police departments bought were bought to bring in money, you may as well shut every one down.

What's a good expenditure for a police department? Is simunitions good? How about a $20,000 computer that has codecs for all private security systems in them so one can decode the different formats out there? How about spending $15,000 on a goggle system that shows you fluids without using luminal? The goal of police is not to make money, some try to do that to maintain their budgets, but that's an entirely different topic. And what's wrong with a community paying an officer to sit on I-71 24/7/365 to write tickets? He can probably average 2-3 speeding tickets an hour. Were the people not speeding? Or should people just break laws, even minor traffic ones? Think the speed should be 100mph, petition the statehouse, don't get upset at police for enforcing it.

My department has two with at least one on the road 24/7. If you have it, they should be used. It's pointless to have it parked as at least once during a shift, even in the most rural area, it's going to get a hit on a warrant of some sort.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Face wrote:If not profitable, why do some of these 1 horse, hick towns with a population of 1400 and 2 cruisers have them? Also is a known speed trap. If not profitable sounds like poor expenditures.

I know of one municipality that does nothing except cruise with one almost 24/7. Makes sure they hit every box store and mall lot. And it IS used mainly for those local warrants.

Do they get these thru some Homeland Security grants?
Homeland Security paid for them through grants up until June 2014. After that, the grants ran out and were not renewed.

If I recover a stolen Ford Mustang with one how do I get any money? If I arrest Billy Jo Bob on 14 robbery warrants, where do I get money? The idea behind them is to catch criminals and recover stolen vehicles. Therefore, bring a closure to cases. If everything police departments bought were bought to bring in money, you may as well shut every one down.

What's a good expenditure for a police department? Is simunitions good? How about a $20,000 computer that has codecs for all private security systems in them so one can decode the different formats out there? How about spending $15,000 on a goggle system that shows you fluids without using luminal? The goal of police is not to make money, some try to do that to maintain their budgets, but that's an entirely different topic. And what's wrong with a community paying an officer to sit on I-71 24/7/365 to write tickets? He can probably average 2-3 speeding tickets an hour. Were the people not speeding? Or should people just break laws, even minor traffic ones? Think the speed should be 100mph, petition the statehouse, don't get upset at police for enforcing it.

My department has two with at least one on the road 24/7. If you have it, they should be used. It's pointless to have it parked as at least once during a shift, even in the most rural area, it's going to get a hit on a warrant of some sort.

I agree about the speeding tickets, moving offenses..But my gripe is about being pulled over for non moving violations ie no front plate, license plate light out..How are those things endangering other motorists?..They don't..It just gives cop a reason to go on a fishing expedition..Those are the ones that in my opinion are BS..Instead of cops pulling over speeders and reckless drivers.

Which to me is just one step from stopping someone for open carrying.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Bama.45 wrote:I agree about the speeding tickets, moving offenses..But my gripe is about being pulled over for non moving violations ie no front plate, license plate light out..How are those things endangering other motorists?..They don't..It just gives cop a reason to go on a fishing expedition..Those are the ones that in my opinion are BS..Instead of cops pulling over speeders and reckless drivers.
To Jedi's point - take it up with the statehouse. They have declared those to be criminal offenses worthy of prosecution and thus police attention. Personally I tend to agree with you on those examples but the fact remains that those laws are on the books.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Again, the path to change…all roads lead to Columbus. With all the economic problems facing Ohio citizens, I doubt the required front license plate, or lack thereof, is a high priority for the OGA leadership.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

djthomas wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:I agree about the speeding tickets, moving offenses..But my gripe is about being pulled over for non moving violations ie no front plate, license plate light out..How are those things endangering other motorists?..They don't..It just gives cop a reason to go on a fishing expedition..Those are the ones that in my opinion are BS..Instead of cops pulling over speeders and reckless drivers.
To Jedi's point - take it up with the statehouse. They have declared those to be criminal offenses worthy of prosecution and thus police attention. Personally I tend to agree with you on those examples but the fact remains that those laws are on the books.

And I understand your point too.. It's your job, and you have to do it and I understand that.. And I do admit I havent seen a whole lot of veteran cops hassle folks over those two things unless there was some other circumstance... Like being in a shady part of town etc... I guess what I am trying to say is in my experience there was a lot of cop's discretion used and for the most part most of the equipment stops I have been in (which arent many) it was more of a did you know such and such wasn't working... But I have had the occasional stop where it was used as a fishing excavation.

Like one night I was heading home after working a restaurant shutdown plumbing remodel and it was about 2 in the morning when a deputy pulled me over for a "dim" license plate light.. When the stop was ending, he basically admitted to pulling me over for a fishing expedition when he said "You were out late in an area of meth trafficking." And I believe some cops profile folks by the condition of the car they drive... I was driving a 1984 Toyota pickup that was mechanically sound but looked like hell.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yes, but we were also taught that you don't enter the intersection unless you can get through it. You either go through the intersection or you stop behind the bar and wait till you can get through the intersection.
WestonDon wrote:It has always been my understanding that the intersection begins at the stop bar painted on the road and that once you are IN the intersection you have the right to proceed after the light changes from green. I don't know if IN the intersection means front bumper, rear bumper or what.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.