Individual Rights vs. Property rights POLL

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Is the cost of losing a right too much to pay?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:04 pm

Employees of a private business should be allowed to safely keep any legally owned items in their vehicle while parked on company property while on the clock.
78%
Private business owners should retain the right to dictate what their employees possess in their vehicles while on their private lot
22%

Total votes: 89

gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Individual Rights vs. Property rights POLL

Post by gaptrick »

With HR180 in the works, and this being apparently such a divisive issue between the two camps, I created this poll to get a feel for where the people on these forums fall in these regards.

There are a couple of active threads discussing this issue already so no real need to elaborate on the discussion here, but a vote either way would be appreciated.

Which way do the scales of justice tip for you? Thanks.
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
pirateguy191

Re: Individual Rights vs. Property rights POLL

Post by pirateguy191 »

So far, employees are winning 7 to Tweed. :lol:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

What I am most in favor of is LESS laws, less red tape, and less govt nose under the tent. As has been said a gujillion times, Ohio is an at-will state. If the powers that be gave me the ability to decide the fate, I would never allow 50,000 different dumb little laws to outline every dumb little scenario.

Instead, my law would state that the employer's "rights" end where my vehicle begins if the employer willfully offers me a place to park. And if the employer doesn't like that, his option is to rip up that asphalt and plant sunflowers. Then he can go hire a full crew of manpower and a few of them will obviously be bus drivers that go out every day at 5am to gather all the human resources.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Tweed just voted.

Tweed knows where the important votes are counted... in the OGA.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Sevens wrote:What I am most in favor of is LESS laws, less red tape, and less govt nose under the tent. As has been said a gujillion times, Ohio is an at-will state. If the powers that be gave me the ability to decide the fate, I would never allow 50,000 different dumb little laws to outline every dumb little scenario.

Instead, my law would state that the employer's "rights" end where my vehicle begins if the employer willfully offers me a place to park. And if the employer doesn't like that, his option is to rip up that asphalt and plant sunflowers. Then he can go hire a full crew of manpower and a few of them will obviously be bus drivers that go out every day at 5am to gather all the human resources.
If this becomes law, I would advise employers to ask employees to sign a waiver regarding personal weapons, in employee's vehicles, parked on the employer's property. It's not employer's responsibility to transport employees to work.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Keys are a weapon. Ball point pen is pretty nasty. Got a tire iron in the trunk. Many have been willfully murdered -by- a car.

Hey, for a period of time around the turn of the century, countless bodies stacked up as a result of influenza and we have folks bringing that not just on to the property, but right in to the facility. (oh the horror)

Hey, I think we can settle on this somewhere. My Glock is a big no-no, but my Hammerli-built .22cal rimfire pistol outfitted with target grips, sights and phenomenal trigger are a-okay, right?!
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Sevens wrote:Keys are a weapon. Ball point pen is pretty nasty. Got a tire iron in the trunk. Many have been willfully murdered -by- a car.

Hey, for a period of time around the turn of the century, countless bodies stacked up as a result of influenza and we have folks bringing that not just on to the property, but right in to the facility. (oh the horror)

Hey, I think we can settle on this somewhere. My Glock is a big no-no, but my Hammerli-built .22cal rimfire pistol outfitted with target grips, sights and phenomenal trigger are a-okay, right?!

Lots of straw men. Straw men tend to get burned. Firearms banned means all firearms.

Count the votes at the OGA. That's clearly important.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Tweed Ring wrote:Tweed just voted.

Negative; in the Governor's office, where they become signed into law. (Damn ! Wish I hadn't gone down that rat hole. :) )
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

curmudgeon3 wrote:

Negative; in the Governor's office, where they become signed into law. (Damn ! Wish I hadn't gone down that rat hole. :) )

Doesn't ever get placed on the governor's desk unless it is first passed by the OGA. Governor can love, hate, or be ambivalent to a proposal; unless it is blessed by leadership and goes through both houses, it ain't gonna' happen.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Last I checked, this is a discussion forum mostly populated with pro-gun "regular folks" and definitely not the floor of the General Assembly.

I do wonder...
How would Rickey Henderson fare in politics?
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Tweed Ring wrote:
curmudgeon3 wrote:

Doesn't ever get placed on the governor's desk unless it is first passed by the OGA. Governor can love, hate, or be ambivalent to a proposal; unless it is blessed by leadership and goes through both houses, it ain't gonna' happen.
And awa-a-a-y we go. :) It doesn't get to an OGA vote until all of the Governor's election campaigns have been exhausted and His higher aspirations have been determined.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Sevens wrote:Last I checked, this is a discussion forum mostly populated with pro-gun "regular folks" and definitely not the floor of the General Assembly.

I do wonder...
How would Rickey Henderson fare in politics?

Talkers. OK. There ends the lesson, again.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

For all of you sooo ready and willing to agress against someone else and infringe on their rights... karma is a {inappropriate language}. If you don't care about someone else's rights why should they care about yours?
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

In the case of individual rights VS property rights, I feel that property rights win because the individual already has the right to not enter the property. The issue here seems to be that it's inconvenient to the individual to seek employment elsewhere. I don't feel that the inconvenience warrants infringement on property rights when an alternative exists. And yes, my employer is among those that prohibits firearms from their property, including parking facilities.

Perhaps I am not understanding something and it isn't as simple as that. If so, I would really like to know more.
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

I truly understand the desire to create a line of separation between the employer's property and the interior of one's vehicle, and would love to see some good justification that enables it. However, one fact keeps getting in the way, and Curzyk nailed it - entering the property is optional. I just don't see how the principle could be carved out given the circumstances. I am very sympathetic to the desire, though.

With very limited exceptions (emergencies, for example) individual rights trump all. I see no philosophical justification for any other position.

Yes, individual rights are legally trumped all the time. Doesn't make it right.