Individual Rights vs. Property rights POLL

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Is the cost of losing a right too much to pay?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:04 pm

Employees of a private business should be allowed to safely keep any legally owned items in their vehicle while parked on company property while on the clock.
78%
Private business owners should retain the right to dictate what their employees possess in their vehicles while on their private lot
22%

Total votes: 89

Tweed Ring

Re: Individual Rights vs. Property rights POLL

Post by Tweed Ring »

Grand Old Party establishment.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

GOP effeminate?
walnut red wrote:
curmudgeon3 wrote:49/51'ers (on internal issues), previously known as the GOP. :)
So GOPe stands for GOP electronic?
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

BobK wrote:
WY_Not wrote:Correct, it is just a poll and not the ballot. What is so disheartening though is that so many are ready and willing to infringe on the rights of their neighbor over a simple convenience. And to do it with force/color of law even. One would hope/think that in this community of all places that protection of rights would not be so flippantly dismissed.
You make the point that cannot even find agreement on this issue within the gun community. That is exactly why I do not believe it is should be a legislative priority. How in the world would one expect to pass it against determined opposition when there is profound, principled disagreement on this issue within the gun community?

There are other legislative priorities that matter more to me and I believe could find unified support within the gun community. For just one example, how about being able to carry in the buildings that we paid for? Being unable to carry into an ordinary government building is ridiculous, and I would expect everyone to be unified on that score. How about taking a red sharpie and lining out most of RC 2923.126(B)?
RC 2923.126(B) A valid concealed handgun license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun in any manner prohibited under division (B) of section 2923.12 of the Revised Code or in any manner prohibited under section 2923.16 of the Revised Code. A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places:

(1) A police station, sheriff's office, or state highway patrol station, premises controlled by the bureau of criminal identification and investigation, a state correctional institution, jail, workhouse, or other detention facility, an airport passenger terminal, or an institution that is maintained, operated, managed, and governed pursuant to division (A) (C) of section 5119.14 of the Revised Code or division (A)(1) of section 5123.03 of the Revised Code;

(2) A school safety zone if the licensee's carrying the concealed handgun is in violation of section 2923.122 of the Revised Code;

(3) A courthouse or another building or structure in which a courtroomis located, in violation of section 2923.123 of the Revised Code;

(4) Any premises or open air arena for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code if the licensee's carrying the concealed handgun is in violation of section 2923.121 of the Revised Code;

(5) Any premises owned or leased by any public or private college, university, or other institution of higher education, unless the handgun is in a locked motor vehicle or the licensee is in the immediate process of placing the handgun in a locked motor vehicle;

(6) Any church, synagogue, mosque, or other place of worship, unless the church, synagogue, mosque, or other place of worship posts or permits otherwise;

(7) A child day-care center, a type A family day-care home, or a type B family day-care home, except that this division does not prohibit a licensee who resides in a type A family day-care home or a type B family day-care home from carrying a concealed handgun at any time in any part of the home that is not dedicated or used for day-care purposes, or from carrying a concealed handgun in a part of the home that is dedicated or used for day-care purposes at any time during which no children, other than children of that licensee, are in the home;

(8) An aircraft that is in, or intended for operation in, foreign air transportation, interstate air transportation, intrastate air transportation, or the transportation of mail by aircraft;

(9) Any building that is a government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state and that is not a building that is used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is not a courthouse or other building or structure in which a courtroom is located that is subject to division (B)(3) of this section;

(10) A place in which federal law prohibits the carrying of handguns.
Essentially, leave jails, prison, courtrooms, facilities for the criminally insane, and commercial airplanes off limits. Strike everything else.
I agree. I would much rather see these removed, and get rid of notification.

I cannot have a firearm in the parking lot at the hospital, or I will be immediately fired. I don't push it when I have a kid there for the sports medicine doctor, and leave it home then, too. But, if I value my employer, and I do, I am coming to their house, and I have to play by their rules. I have worked elsewhere, and I know when I have a good thing going.

I am not sure that I would have a firearm in my car overnight, anyway. The Akron campus is near an interesting neighborhood, and when I am at my main assignment, the parking lot is rather isolated. I don't want my Sig stolen.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Just curious; how many times does one have to be involved in a 'notification' traffic-stop before it becomes bothersome ? Why not just remove the alledged 'felony' charge ?
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Mustang380gal wrote:I cannot have a firearm in the parking lot at the hospital, or I will be immediately fired. I don't push it when I have a kid there for the sports medicine doctor, and leave it home then, too. But, if I value my employer, and I do, I am coming to their house, and I have to play by their rules. I have worked elsewhere, and I know when I have a good thing going.

Allow me to ask you a question, if your employer pulled you into the office and had security there and insisted in searching your car, would you keep that job?

I wouldn't
Doesn't matter if they are looking for my gun, drugs, or missing paper clips and Postit notes from the office supply closet, the day you try to go searching through my stuff is the day I quit, no matter what I signed,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I have never had an employer ask to search my car, lunch box, or anything else for that matter. In fact, I only recall that happening to a coworker once, when I worked at a gas station in high school and the owners tools started coming up missing. He suspected a guy he hired a few weeks earlier. He was right.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Chuck wrote:
Mustang380gal wrote:I cannot have a firearm in the parking lot at the hospital, or I will be immediately fired. I don't push it when I have a kid there for the sports medicine doctor, and leave it home then, too. But, if I value my employer, and I do, I am coming to their house, and I have to play by their rules. I have worked elsewhere, and I know when I have a good thing going.

Allow me to ask you a question, if your employer pulled you into the office and had security there and insisted in searching your car, would you keep that job?

I wouldn't
Doesn't matter if they are looking for my gun, drugs, or missing paper clips and Postit notes from the office supply closet, the day you try to go searching through my stuff is the day I quit, no matter what I signed,,,,
I have never heard of them searching anyone's car. The reason that I like my employer so much is because they seem to trust their employees. Nurses are involved in policy making and decisions about working conditions. I have never heard of any other employer who trusts their nurses with so much. I will not violate that.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I've never had an employer search anyone's car, but I have seen the firearms in car come up once in another circumstance. An employee had a unloaded gun in their car and it was broken into. The employer found out somehow (I think by just loose talk) that a gun was stolen and didn't like that he had the gun in his car while he was working. The employee manual said he couldn't bring any weapons to work with him, and they called him into the office to discuss it. His contention was since he left it in the car and didn't bring it into the building he didn't bring it to work. He didn't use his personal vehicle during work hours. Supposedly his supervisor wanted him fired, but the higher level boss agreed with the employee, even though he didn't like it. The employer didn't even own the lot anyway, it was part of a strip mall.

The anti gun supervisor made a big deal out of the gun being stolen, like that particular gun was now going by itself to cause a crime wave in Dayton. It was some kind of cheap handgun, like a Jennings or something similar.

Ironically they had another employee who not only carried his gun on him at work, but unholstered it, unloaded it, showed it to another employee, reloaded and reholstered it, all perfectly okay with management because he was a reserve cop with a small PD in a small town many miles away. The town has a state highway running through it, and it generated a lot of money for the mayors court.