SB 199: Active military may carry without CHL

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: SB 199: Active military may carry without CHL

Post by 147Doc »

I appreciate what Mike is trying to do... but just being in the military does not automatically mean you had pistol training.
Or even safe weapons training! I've spoken to AF brethren who trained on M-16's once, with .22 adapters, then never saw another firearm during their enlistment.
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

147Doc wrote:I appreciate what Mike is trying to do... but just being in the military does not automatically mean you had pistol training.
Or even safe weapons training! I've spoken to AF brethren who trained on M-16's once, with .22 adapters, then never saw another firearm during their enlistment.
I never touched a pistol, or had any kind of handgun training during my 8 years in the army.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
ashtabula

Post by ashtabula »

I received pistol training in AIT in the Army. I qualified as an expert, yes the standards are that low. At my duty post I was required to qualify yearly. I carried every day for my job, and was given permission to carry openly or concealed while off duty. None of this was of any use when I applied for a permit in 2006, as it was all too far in the past.

If you're going to require training I believe everyone should have to get it. I also believe it should not matter where or when you received it. There should be no carve outs for anyone, If you had the training fine, if you havent, go get it.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

A substitute bill was passed by the committee last week. The 8 Republicans voted for the bill and the 3 Democrats against.

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 131-SB-199

Wording was changed from
any person who is an active member of the armed forces of the United States and is carrying a valid military identification card and a certificate issued by the person's applicable service branch indicating that the person has successfully completed small arms qualification
to
is an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States and is carrying a valid military identification card and documentation of successful completion of firearms training that meets or exceeds the training requirements described in division (G)(1) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code
Another interesting addition was
If the person is not able to promptly produce a valid military identification card and documentation of successful completion of firearms training that meets or exceeds the training requirements described in division (G)(1) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code and if the person is not in a place described in division (B) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code, the officer shall issue a citation and the offender shall be assessed a civil penalty of not more than five hundred dollars. The citation shall be automatically dismissed and the civil penalty shall not be assessed if both of the following apply:

(a) Within ten days after the issuance of the citation, the offender presents a valid military identification card and documentation of successful completion of firearms training that meets or exceeds the training requirements described in division (G)(1) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, which were both valid at the time of the issuance of the citation to the law enforcement agency that employs the citing officer.

(b) At the time of the citation, the offender was not knowingly in a place described in division (B) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code.
So if I am reading that correctly, even if the active duty military cannot produce the necessary training documentation, the penalty for CCW is a $500 civil fine.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

We've discussed this and I just can't get enthusiastic about it.
From what I hear, no one will benefit from it, NO ONE.
The type of certification one would need to carry is difficult/impracticable/impossible to carry.

Easier to just get a CHL

I want to see an end to notification
I could get enthusiastic about that,,,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

Chuck wrote: I want to see an end to notification
I could get enthusiastic about that,,,,,,
This
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Chuck wrote:The type of certification one would need to carry is difficult/impracticable/impossible to carry.
Or get. Among the requirements of "division (G)(1) of section 2923.125" that must be met or exceeded are that the class has to give you information on where to get the Ohio AG's pamphlet. That simple little detail will almost assuredly never be met by any military training course, small arms or not. Let alone some of the other required topics like dispute resolution.
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

Could this tie into the recent move to allow Active Guard/Reserve (AGR) members of the Ohio National Guard to carry in Armories after taking a firearms training course offered by the Ohio State Highway patrol?
Last edited by buckeye43210 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

buckeye43210 wrote:Could this tie into the recent move to allow Active Duty members of the Ohio National Guard to carry in Armories after taking a firearms training course offered by the Ohio State Highway patrol?
Doubtful because they are specifically not exempt from the enumerated CPZs under this bill, which an armory would no doubt be.
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

djthomas wrote:
buckeye43210 wrote:Could this tie into the recent move to allow Active Duty members of the Ohio National Guard to carry in Armories after taking a firearms training course offered by the Ohio State Highway patrol?
Doubtful because they are specifically not exempt from the enumerated CPZs under this bill, which an armory would no doubt be.
Here's a link to earlier discussion about the Governor allowing AGR members of the National Guard carry firearms at Ohio National Guard facilities.
That is only for full time AGR and after you take an additional 8 hour course with OSHP. And you can only carry the firearm and holster that you you put on the spreadsheet to sign up for the class. If you are involved in a shooting using anything other than what you gave them you are SOL.
The Governor's policy allows "certain" members of the Ohio National Guard to carry firearms at their duty locations and this legislation would allow them to carry elsewhere without an Ohio CHL.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

OHANG isn't authorized to carry outside of their vehicles on base. Better than Reserve or Active Duty however.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Sub S.B. 199 would finally allow SALES of handguns to 18-20 year old service members.

That's a big step since they've been allowed to BUY handguns for years.

:roll: :oops: :wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Chuck wrote:We've discussed this and I just can't get enthusiastic about it.
From what I hear, no one will benefit from it, NO ONE.
The type of certification one would need to carry is difficult/impracticable/impossible to carry.
I actually oppose it. Why? because it's doing exactly what the anti's normally do - pass some meaningless legislation just so they can be seen to be DOING SOMETHING. ...which in my mind is the worst kind of pandering.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Sub S.B. 199 would finally allow SALES of handguns to 18-20 year old service members.

That's a big step since they've been allowed to BUY handguns for years.

:roll: :oops: :wink:
A lot of people never picked up on the pointlessness of that previous legislative "fix", Dave. But having corralled one of the Ohio representatives about it before passage, I knew HE was well aware it was merely lip service. But he went along and voted yes anyhow.

Hence one example of why I'm always ready to call 'Shenanigans!' on that bunch in Columbus. It's not the only time they've pulled such stunts in their jobs.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Brian D. wrote:. . . HE was well aware it was merely lip service. But he went along and voted yes anyhow.
But - but - they're DOING SOMETHING. :?
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.