SB 199: Active military may carry without CHL

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

SB 199: Active military may carry without CHL

Post by rickt »

Introduced yesterday.
S. B. No. 199 - Senators Uecker, Gardner.

To amend sections 1547.69, 2923.12, 2923.121, 2923.122, 2923.123, 2923.126, 2923.16, and 2923.21 of the Revised Code to specify that an active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces: (1) does not need a concealed handgun license to carry a handgun concealed if the member is carrying valid military identification and a certificate indicating successful small arms qualification; and (2) may be sold or furnished a handgun if the member has received military or equivalent small arms training.
https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 131-SB-199
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: SB 199: Active military may carry without CHL

Post by catfish86 »

This is something that should have been all along. It actually should be a national law, but our current president would surely veto it.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I would have no objection to this at all. Although I would prefer permitless carry for all.

On a side note, I would like to see the military make small arm training, especially pistol, available to all on a voluntary basis regardless of duty assignment or MOS.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

catfish86 wrote:This is something that should have been all along. It actually should be a national law, but our current president would surely veto it.
I would like it if he had a chance to veto.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

I have mixed feelings about this.

After the recent Recruitment Center shooting...YES. How about E-4 and up, O-2 and up. (not O-1's! They are similar to privates.Just more dangerious.)

Should a 17 year old Army E-1, who has 6 months in service, and qualified "Marksman" with a Berretta M9 be able to carry (in uniform) nationwide? Heck NO!

The lack of military "marksmanship" has been discussed here before.

There is too much military worship going on in this proposed law.

Yes, I'm a veteran.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

I also have some mixed feelings about this, but generally don't see a problem. From a practical standpoint, however, why not just amend the current law? We could waive both the residency requirement and application fee for military applicants and achieve the same result (since military applicants can already supply evidence of training without a class.) That would give them the benefit of having an actual license for reciprocity and would eliminate any inevitable problems that will arise from law enforcement that question why someone is carrying with a military ID and not a license.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Nor do i. We train young people in the military, issue weapons to them, and ship them off to foreign lands. I have no problem with their carrying weapons in this country.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

I remember being that 18 year old E-1 or later on 3 (skipped 2 when I finished tech). Probably best that I wasn't armed outside range time.

I'm also of the train of thought of not entering the service until mentally mature enough, My friends and I certainly were not at 18.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I am for this. While not full steps towards permitless carry, why not support any/all segments of our fellow Ohioans as a 1st step? 2cnd step? Good for them! 1st things 1st, 2cnd things 2cnd, so forth & so on...
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

As long as they are trained for CC, I'm for it..Doesn't matter what age you are, your blood is red, and your life is worth the same as a 21 yr. old.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Tweed Ring wrote:... We train young people in the military... I have no problem with their carrying weapons in this country.
Not so much.The training,I mean. Some of it is good,some average, and some a miserable excuse for training. But they all get the same qualification!!! :shock:

No offense intended Tweed Ring, but I'm guessing you were never in the so-called "Armed Forces". I was, and I saw it first hand.

Here's something else to consider before we grant our military members a right we don't have: Around 2006 the Iraq war was not going well,and enlistments where down. The US Army came up with a BRILLIANT solution: allow guys with MISDOMENORS and FELONY's to enlist in the "hard to fill jobs": Infantry,Armor, and Artillery.

If those guys re-enlisted (it's there only chance at a job with a decent retirement, so I believe most did) They are now E-6's and E-7's.
Question: If this law passes,are you "OK" with, or "have a problem with" a guy who has a FELONY (maybe murder or rape) being able to LEGALLY carry a handgun where you can't?

I have a big problem with this law.

If you worship the people in military, you have to worship the ones with misdemeanors/felony's too.

Best regards.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

JU-87 wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:... We train young people in the military... I have no problem with their carrying weapons in this country.
Not so much.The training,I mean. Some of it is good,some average, and some a miserable excuse for training. But they all get the same qualification!!! :shock:

No offense intended Tweed Ring, but I'm guessing you were never in the so-called "Armed Forces". I was, and I saw it first hand.

Here's something else to consider before we grant our military members a right we don't have: Around 2006 the Iraq war was not going well,and enlistments where down. The US Army came up with a BRILLIANT solution: allow guys with MISDOMENORS and FELONY's to enlist in the "hard to fill jobs": Infantry,Armor, and Artillery.

If those guys re-enlisted (it's there only chance at a job with a decent retirement, so I believe most did) They are now E-6's and E-7's.
Question: If this law passes,are you "OK" with, or "have a problem with" a guy who has a FELONY (maybe murder or rape) being able to LEGALLY carry a handgun where you can't?

If you worship the people in military, you have to worship the ones with misdemeanors/felony's too.

Best regards.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

JU-87 wrote:

Best regards.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

JU-87 wrote:

Best regards.
We can simply agree to disagree.

In Ohio, we recognize open carry, which requires absolutely no training. Due to the political climate in our country, I’d prefer these young people be able to defend themselves if presented with an SJS situation.

I trust various branches of our military to establish and maintain reasonable criterion to allow service members carrying firearms for their protection. As to the felons, I have no opinion, as, again, I trust the military to deal with these issues.

I was a contractor in Iraq and was protected by a number of young soldiers, all of whom were heavily armed, and most of whom were in their late teens and early 20’s.

One of these young soldiers saved my life; I still worship him, albeit from afar.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

And you have the article or order that rapists and killers Enlisted ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens