SB 199: Active military may carry without CHL

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

yogidave

Re: SB 199: Active military may carry without CHL

Post by yogidave »

I will admit that the recruiting regulations were relaxed due to the war, no convicted killer or rapist is currently serving. The regs were loosened to allow waivers to be granted on a case by case basis to non violent offenders and DV that was against siblings under the age of 18.

So if you got into a fight with your brother and didn't have a parent that cared it was easier for them to call the police. I fought with my older brothers everyday, does that mean I should not continue serving?
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

If they've done their time, then no. Felon or not, they have every right to defend themselves. If they are so dangerous that they can not be trusted with a firearm, then they never should have been released. But, that is a whole other issue that needs to be resolved as well.
JU-87 wrote:Here's something else to consider before we grant our military members a right we don't have: Around 2006 the Iraq war was not going well,and enlistments where down. The US Army came up with a BRILLIANT solution: allow guys with MISDOMENORS and FELONY's to enlist in the "hard to fill jobs": Infantry,Armor, and Artillery.
Question: If this law passes,are you "OK" with, or "have a problem with" a guy who has a FELONY (maybe murder or rape) being able to LEGALLY carry a handgun where you can't?
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:And you have the article or order that rapists and killers Enlisted ?
Glad you asked:

The U.S. Army and Marine Corps let 861 convicted felons join their ranks in 2007, an 88 percent jump over the previous year that helped meet recruiting goals in wartime, according to data released on Monday.

The Army, the largest branch of the U.S. military, gave felony waivers to 511 recruits last year, up from 249 in 2006, according to the figures released by a congressional panel. The Marine Corps granted 350 waivers, up from 208 the year before.

The waivers for convictions ranging from assault and burglary to manslaughter and sex crimes allowed the military to enlist people otherwise precluded by recruitment standards...
http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/04/ ... 1620080421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread350406/pg1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0%2 ... %2C00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Rapists and killers......I don't think so...I know sex offenders that brushed up against someone by accident and was put on the list.....it says manslaughter, a far cry from murder...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

carmen fovozzo wrote:it says manslaughter, a far cry plea bargain away from murder...
Fixed that for ya
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

First off, look at the numbers that are involved....not so many when your talking 5 million..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

JU-87 wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:... We train young people in the military... I have no problem with their carrying weapons in this country.
Not so much.The training,I mean. Some of it is good,some average, and some a miserable excuse for training. But they all get the same qualification!!! :shock:

No offense intended Tweed Ring, but I'm guessing you were never in the so-called "Armed Forces". I was, and I saw it first hand.

Here's something else to consider before we grant our military members a right we don't have: Around 2006 the Iraq war was not going well,and enlistments where down. The US Army came up with a BRILLIANT solution: allow guys with MISDOMENORS and FELONY's to enlist in the "hard to fill jobs": Infantry,Armor, and Artillery.

If those guys re-enlisted (it's there only chance at a job with a decent retirement, so I believe most did) They are now E-6's and E-7's.
Question: If this law passes,are you "OK" with, or "have a problem with" a guy who has a FELONY (maybe murder or rape) being able to LEGALLY carry a handgun where you can't?

I have a big problem with this law.

If you worship the people in military, you have to worship the ones with misdemeanors/felony's too.

Best regards.
I agree, from first hand experience, that military service does not automatically equal firearms training/proficiency.

I disagree with the concept of a felony or certain misdemeanors being an automatic lifetime firearms disqualifier.

I think it is reasonable to assume that someone who has obtained the rank of E6 or E7 has forsaken the criminal lifestyle. Or at least is very good at not getting caught.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

There is no background check that can prevent a person with a gun from committing a crime WITH that gun.

If a person with a criminal history has never committed a crime WITH a gun, why should that person be disabled from possessing a gun?

You can't rationalize that a criminal will just go commit worse crimes and eventually use a gun to do so, because people with NO criminal background have done the same.

If you are found guilty of committing a crime with a gun, I can see that as justification for restricting your possession.

If your crime wasn't related to the use of a gun, there is no reason that you should be restricted from possessing a gun.

R.C. 2923.14 let's a judge get rid of such restrictions, but it is the same as a "may-issue" CHL scheme. If that judge is in northeastern Ohio, you are probably out of luck.
MyWifeSaidYes
esprrfan2001

Post by esprrfan2001 »

Any updates on the status of this?
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

esprrfan2001 wrote:Any updates on the status of this?
Nope.

Probably won't see anything until Kasich wins the election loses the election drops out of the race.

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 131-SB-199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Now think about this...we are worried about active duty having concealed carry because a small portion got waivers for felonies/misdemeanors.

First of all, as servicemen, they are being trained to handle everything in our military's arsenal, including fully automatic weapons, tanks, artillery, rockets, grenades and you name whatever else. If they are too dangerous to carry a concealed weapon they should not be in the service.

Second, although there are waivers, these waivers have to meet certain standards which vary by branch but in general:

Expunged/Sealed doesn't matter as far as hiding it from the recruiter. Failure to disclose is a felony. Although, the fact that it was sealed/expunged AND you disclosed it may argue in favor of a waiver.

The passage of time without incident is a major factor. Also major is whether it was as a juvenile. Adult felonies...good luck, it can be done but it is harder.

While there may be the exception, these waivers are not meant for hardcore criminals, they are designed for isolated incidents of stupidity. There are exceptions to criminal convictions etc for CHLs and I would venture to guess most of the "waivers" would also meet those standards.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

All very good points Catfish. Anytime I hear of someone branded for life for an isolated act of stupidity I think "there, but for the grace of God, go I".
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

catfish86 wrote: First of all, as servicemen, they are being trained to handle everything in our military's arsenal, including fully automatic weapons, tanks, artillery, rockets, grenades and you name whatever else. If they are too dangerous to carry a concealed weapon they should not be in the service.
I don't know where you got that idea but it's certainly not true for most (>80%) Navy personnel.
In boot camp I fired 8 rounds through an M1 Garand and 5 rounds through a 1911. That was it.
In 13 years I would have never had touched a small arm again if I hadn't requested, on my own time, to qualify with a pistol (again 1911).
That was done after hours, in a small group of like minded sailors, taught by the Petty Officer In Charge of the base pistol range.

The experiences of my nieces and nephews in the USAF were similar. Unless you are military police you get no or very little small arms training/experience.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

And even if they are trained in all manner of weapons, they have ZERO training in Ohio CHL law, rules, and regs.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Army must be different. We had to qualify with the M16 at least annually but usually every quarter. I trained on and fired the M60 machine gun, a Mk19 automatic grenade launcher, an AT4 and threw hand grenades occasionally to name a few. I was essentially a clerk but the Army views everyone as a rifleman first trained to do other things as well.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.