Moved to a new home - Filling out the 4473?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Darkness

Moved to a new home - Filling out the 4473?

Post by Darkness »

OK, so I have a new address and I updated the BMV, but I did not get a new drivers license.

When I go to buy a gun, and am filling out the 4473, my current address will not match the address on my ID (license) when it comes time for the FFL to fill out his part.

Is this going to cause problems with me purchasing firearms unless I get a new license?

Thanks.
It was not fair, it was not fair, it was not fair. So cried his child's heart, and then his child's heart died a little. For that is also the way of the world.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Moved to a new home - Filling out the 4473?

Post by WY_Not »

Yes. Sorta.

If you updated with the BMV, they should send you a postcard that you are supposed to carry with your DL. After I moved a few years back, I went to buy a new handgun and they had an issue with the DL not matching my 4473. Went out to the truck, grabbed the postcard and they were happy. Sale and check went through with no issues.

Keep the postcard handy when filling out 4473's and you'll be fine.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
true_pair

Post by true_pair »

Same situation here but instead of the post card I showed them my car registration which had the new address. Everything went through without any problems
"The great object is, that every man be armed"

-- Patrick Henry, speech of June 14 1788
Darkness

Post by Darkness »

Ok, good to know. Thank you.
It was not fair, it was not fair, it was not fair. So cried his child's heart, and then his child's heart died a little. For that is also the way of the world.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Also forgot to mention that the postcard should stay with you while driving. Just keep it handy till you get around to renewing your DL next time.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
mreising

Post by mreising »

Or, for~$15 (IIRC) when you update your license you can get a DL with your new address.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yeah but that requires spending money (they get too much of my money as it is, I'd rather not give them more than I absolutely have to) and making a trip to the BMV. You can update online and they'll send you the postcard for free.