SB 177: Forbid physicians asking about firearms

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

SB 177: Forbid physicians asking about firearms

Post by rickt »

Introduced on June 3.
S. B. No. 177 - Senator Jordan

To amend section 3798.04 and to enact sections 4731.74 and 4731.78 of the Revised Code to prohibit a physician from submitting patient medical records to an electronic database maintained by another party without patient authorization and from asking a patient about firearm ownership or possession.
https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 131-SB-177
ArcherAce

Re: SB 177: Forbid physicians asking about firearms

Post by ArcherAce »

Why are we wasting time and money on a law when you can just tell the doctor "No".
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

ArcherAce:

This bill appears to be a swipe at Zerocare's electronic paperwork demands, which a lot of doctors are being forced to join "groups" to participate in, if not just retire.

Meantime, the doc may already know. This bill should prevent him from telling the enemy....

My doc retired. Every time I saw him, and he noticed the gun, which I more or less always carried, he'd ask what it was for. For more than 30 years! So, maybe he didn't know, but while he may not have known what color his car was, he was a very good physician.

(Gotta find another one...)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
mrbone

Post by mrbone »

I believe FL had a law like this and it was struck down due to the 1st Amendment.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

They can ask all they want. I can refuse to answer and promptly leave. Shouldn't even be a matter of law.

The prohibition on submission of electronic records without patient permission is a good thing though.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

For years I have found the response "N/A" to be very helpful many times. To casual busybody types it implies 'Not applicable' when in fact I'm often using it to abbreviate 'Not answering'.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.