HB 235: CHL applicants who are/were in military

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

budman70

Re: HB 235: CHL applicants who are/were in military

Post by budman70 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I find the comments that training should be required in this thread very confusing..I find that some on this forum argued that we don't need training in order to get our CHL in prior threads....I argued that we should have some training... And I was jumped on by some members for it. Why is this different now ?
Carmen, it's the conservative brain, it can be on both sides of the same issue. But it has the uncanny ability to justify both positions. lol I think waving the fee is great but I still feel that training is a good idea.
Last edited by budman70 on Fri May 29, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chu Lai 67-68
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Nothing contradictory about it. Two different issues. One is if training should be mandatory. Other issue is if a law should be applied in a logical, consistent manner.

My first choice would be do away with the requirement for all. But, if they are going to have the stupid law on the books then apply it fairly. If you are going to grant exceptions then grant them for a logical reason.

And finally, political leanings have nothing to do with it. That is a problem with your head not others'.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

The real reason we have a training requirement at all is that we couldn't get a concealed carry law passed without it. IMHO. Any chipping away is a good thing.

My non lawyer reading of the bill is that military training must be equivalent to other acceptable training, not just honorable service.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I'm sure I'm one to have said it before and I'll happily say it again...get rid of the mandatory training requirement for obtaining a CHL.

Don't need it to open carry...why should you need it for concealed carry?

Break a law you should have known about while open carrying...get a ticket or go to jail.

Break a law you should have known about while concealed carrying...get a ticket or go to jail.

Fire your openly carried firearm...you are liable for the results.

Fire your concealed carry firearm...you are liable for the results.

No two training instructors classes are the same, let alone cover exactly the same material.

So, what does "training" do for us except cost us money?
MyWifeSaidYes
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

How about safety class ? Who would you rather have come to your rescue when in fear for your life ? other then yourself...A person that has taken a class on gun safety or a person that looks cool and has no safety training ?
The people that think it's cool to carry concealed , and there are a lot,but won't take the time to learn gun safety and people that take the time to learn gun safety are two different animals.....

This is a simple question that does not need to be expanded on..joker's need not answer... :roll:
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

"So what does training do for us other then cost us money"

Or maybe someone's life...
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

What other constitutional rights do you think "training" should be required before a citizen can exercise it?

What do you think about Ohio NOT requiring "training" in order to obtain a drivers license?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:"So what does training do for us other then cost us money"

Or maybe someone's life...
Are you talking about the rapist's , murderer's or molester's life?..........sorry , not meaning to come across as a smart %@&! :) :wink:

And if I was part of that convo. ,I haven't changed my tune either. I don't think it should be a requirement or"hoop" to jump through to carry for protection, but everyone should seek out good training and as much as they can afford.

I see this thread has taken on a new direction.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Why do police and security guards need training ? I thought the 2nd A covered them ?

Wasn't A well regulated Militia trained ?
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I just read DUF web page...3 to 4 shootings accidental....all were shot while doing something stupid with their guns. I wonder how much training they had ?
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Why do police and security guards need training ? I thought the 2nd A covered them ?
The 2A does cover them for themselves,
THeir jobs OUGHT to require training on how to use their equipment, just like the burger fryer at Micky Ds

carmen fovozzo wrote:Wasn't A well regulated Militia trained ?
Are you saying we need to be in a militia now?

Now answer my questions,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Are you saying that there is no well regulated militia in the US ? So the police are different then us folks ?
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Chuck wrote:Are you saying we need to be in a militia now?
Well, if you're between 17 and 67, not permanently handicapped, and a citizen of Ohio, you already are. :wink:
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Are you saying that there is no well regulated militia in the US ? So the police are different then us folks ?
Yes, Carmen
They get PAID and they also get immunity
Of course they are different
You gonna answer my question, or you gonna keep avoiding it?
Ain't activism fun?

sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Why do police and security guards need training ? I thought the 2nd A covered them ?

Wasn't A well regulated Militia trained ?
Carmen - The "well-regulated" militia was the impetus for the second amendment, not its beneficiary.

Unless you're suggesting that the right to keep and bear arms only applies to a trained and well-regulated militia? (You know, kinda like those groups that are opposed to the right to keep and bear arms)... :?:
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.