Buying a long gun from an individual in PA?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Maverick17

Buying a long gun from an individual in PA?

Post by Maverick17 »

I don't believe I need to use an FFL, correct if meeting face to face?

The seller thinks this is the case as well.

Are we correct?

Thanks!!
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Buying a long gun from an individual in PA?

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

Maverick17 wrote:I don't believe I need to use an FFL, correct if meeting face to face?

Are we correct?

Thanks!!
no
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Maverick17 wrote:I don't believe I need to use an FFL, correct if meeting face to face?

Are we correct?

Thanks!!

Yes, you need an FFL for interstate transactions.

https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-answe ... -under-gca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

I'll pile on...

Both you and the seller are absolutely incorrect. You MUST use an FFL (licensee) to transfer the firearm.

See 18 U.S. Code § 922(a)(5) - Unlawful acts
(a) It shall be unlawful—
(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to
(A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and
(B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;
Because this is a long arm, you may use an FFL in either PA or OH to conduct the transfer. In contrast, if it were a handgun, you would be required to use an FFL in OH.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Maverick17

Post by Maverick17 »

Glad I asked....

thanks
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

What is also curious about this is that your fellow in PA can't even sell to his neighbor without the assistance of an FFL, so I can't imagine why he thought he could sell it to someone out of state with no FFL.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

What about a shotgun sale within the state of OH? Can it be shipped to my door? I didn't ever think the rules would be different from handguns... Are they?
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
hAkron

Post by hAkron »

gaptrick wrote:What about a shotgun sale within the state of OH? Can it be shipped to my door? I didn't ever think the rules would be different from handguns... Are they?
Shotgun or handgun (even rifles) sale within the state of Ohio, between 2 Ohio residents can absolutely legally be shipped from seller to buyer. Not USPS, but something like UPS or FedEx...the only problem is that UPS and FedEx policy doesn't permit it.
budman70

Post by budman70 »

I sent my xds in for recall using fedx. I told the clerk at the drop-off office it was a hand gun and she said so and put it in the pick=up bin. She did give me a tracking number but didn't seem care it was a gun.
Chu Lai 67-68
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

As did I, but that was different,we were sending it back to the manufacturer (on their dime) for recall. Springfield Armory made the arrangements with Fed-Ex for that. We were supposed to tell them it was a firearm,even if the clerk didn't know that fact.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

hAkron wrote:
gaptrick wrote:What about a shotgun sale within the state of OH? Can it be shipped to my door? I didn't ever think the rules would be different from handguns... Are they?
Shotgun or handgun (even rifles) sale within the state of Ohio, between 2 Ohio residents can absolutely legally be shipped from seller to buyer. Not USPS, but something like UPS or FedEx...the only problem is that UPS and FedEx policy doesn't permit it.
That is not entirely accurate. Shotguns and rifles may be shipped via USPS to a non licensed individual within Ohio (I.E. an Ohio resident transferring a rifle or shotgun to another Ohio resident.)

Handguns may not be shipped via USPS and can only be shipped via common carrier (UPS, FedEx).

See 18 U.S.C. 1715

See, also, USPS Policy 600, 12.2
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.