Thoughts on CHL reciprocity w/states requring the NICS check

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

harleyb45

Thoughts on CHL reciprocity w/states requring the NICS check

Post by harleyb45 »

Hello,

I've been wondering about the new reciprocity with states not accepting older Ohio CHLs - those issued prior to 3/23/15 (when the NICS checks began).

Is there a reasonable way around that for TX or WI? I've had it suggested that I get a PA Non Resident license (Butler Cty was mentioned) and carry on that if I travelled to either state.

Second wondering was my renewal in `17 - will that satisfy the requirements of those states? I'm assuming the renewal process will now include a run through NICS, but my license issue date will still be `07, which could give some officious LEO an opportunity to hassle, a situation we all want to avoid <grin>.

`Preciate anyone's thoughts on the matter.

Cheers,

harleyb45
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Thoughts on CHL reciprocity w/states requring the NICS c

Post by Stryker74 »

harleyb45 wrote:Hello,

I've been wondering about the new reciprocity with states not accepting older Ohio CHLs - those issued prior to 3/23/15 (when the NICS checks began).

Is there a reasonable way around that for TX or WI? I've had it suggested that I get a PA Non Resident license (Butler Cty was mentioned) and carry on that if I travelled to either state.

Second wondering was my renewal in `17 - will that satisfy the requirements of those states? I'm assuming the renewal process will now include a run through NICS, but my license issue date will still be `07, which could give some officious LEO an opportunity to hassle, a situation we all want to avoid <grin>.

`Preciate anyone's thoughts on the matter.

Cheers,

harleyb45

Getting an out of state that is recognized by TX and WI is your immediate way to be able to carry in those states. Otherwise, when you renew in 2017, you will then have a valid Ohio license for TX and WI.

The actual issue date on the license is the day the present copy was issued to you. For instance, mine is 5/2/2013, and it expires on 5/2/2018. Although I originally received a CHL in May 2004 (and have renewed 2 times since then), only the issue date of the current license is listed on the actual license.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
harleyb45

Post by harleyb45 »

Thanks, mate - just what I needed to hear!

Cheers,

harleyb45
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I just sent this to my state representative and senator (find YOURS here):
It has come to my attention that the recent positive changes in Ohio's firearms laws (HB 234) have introduced an unintended consequence that will negatively affect hundreds of thousands of Ohio's citizens for the next several years.

As of March 23, 2015, the effective date of HB 234, all background checks performed when applying for a new or renewal Concealed Handgun License (CHL) will include a NICS check. As you know, NICS (National Instant Criminal Background Check System) is the background check system used by Federal Firearm Licensed dealers for approving a firearm sale.

The benefit of including a NICS check in Ohio's CHL system is to gain concealed carry reciprocity with states that require a NICS check for their own licensing, such as Texas. In fact, on April 28, 2015, Texas signed a reciprocity agreement with Ohio (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/le ... mation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) stating that Texas will recognize Ohio CHL's that are issued on or after March 23, 2015.

Therein lies the problem.

An Ohio CHL is valid for five years from the date of issue. Ohio law does not allow a sheriff to renew a CHL earlier than 90 days prior to the expiration date on the license.

What this means is that law-abiding, background-checked citizens of Ohio who have received new or renewed CHL's as late as March 22, 2015 WILL BE DENIED RECIPROCITY FOR UP TO FIVE YEARS !! This will apply to ANY state that grants Ohio reciprocity based on the inclusion of the NICS check.

Several CHL holders have expressed a desire to add the NICS check to their current license, but there is no available process to accomplish this. Sheriffs, by law, cannot "renew" a license early. While they CAN re-issue a lost or destroyed license for a fee of $15, there is no background check required for a replacement.

I would like to suggest the introduction of a bill that would allow for an "interim CHL renewal".

This would allow a sheriff to renew a currently valid CHL upon successful completion of a NICS check.

A replacement license currently costs $15. I would suggest a fee of $20 for an interim CHL renewal. NICS is a very inexpensive and very fast ("Instant") process.

As the citizens requesting such an interim CHL renewal are actively requesting and submitting themselves to an ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND CHECK, I cannot comprehend any resistance to such a bill.

Also, it would mean more income for a sheriff's CHL department for minimal effort. This should be appealing for them, but I anticipate some may demand a higher fee.

If I can provide more information, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you !!
Send this or something similar to your OWN senators and representatives. Let's see if we can get something rolling.
MyWifeSaidYes
BobK

Post by BobK »

Personally, I think it is a better strategy for someone to get an out-of-state non-resident license as a backup with an expiration date that is staggered with their Ohio license. Two is better than one.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

BobK wrote:Personally, I think it is a better strategy for someone to get an out-of-state non-resident license as a backup with an expiration date that is staggered with their Ohio license. Two is better than one.
That's definitely an option, but compare the costs.

PA is cheap IF you live near the border. Most Ohioans live more than 2 hours away from a friendly PA sheriff, which means gas & travel money need figured into the overall cost.

Other states that let you apply by mail will send you one or two fingerprint cards that need filled out, typically at cost.

For those folks with a working calendar app to remind them of their expiration date, I believe an "interim CHL renewal" would be cheaper and more efficient.

Now, it's a no-brainer if the non-res license gets you additional states that an updated Ohio CHL doesn't.
MyWifeSaidYes
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

I have a Utah CFP and PA non-resident. I will probably renew the Utah but let the PA expire since my Ohio CHL comes up for renewal next fall.
BobK

Post by BobK »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
BobK wrote:Personally, I think it is a better strategy for someone to get an out-of-state non-resident license as a backup with an expiration date that is staggered with their Ohio license. Two is better than one.
That's definitely an option, but compare the costs.
Some of us are more concerned with options and staggered renewals than what it costs.

That is one reason I will continue to renew my Ohio license even though I can now carry in Ohio on my Texas license. In fact, I intend to keep all of these licenses renewed: TX, OH, PA, and UT.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I just sent this to my state representative and senator (find YOURS here):
It has come to my attention that the recent positive changes in Ohio's firearms laws (HB 234) have introduced an unintended consequence that will negatively affect hundreds of thousands of Ohio's citizens for the next several years.

As of March 23, 2015, the effective date of HB 234, all background checks performed when applying for a new or renewal Concealed Handgun License (CHL) will include a NICS check. As you know, NICS (National Instant Criminal Background Check System) is the background check system used by Federal Firearm Licensed dealers for approving a firearm sale.

The benefit of including a NICS check in Ohio's CHL system is to gain concealed carry reciprocity with states that require a NICS check for their own licensing, such as Texas. In fact, on April 28, 2015, Texas signed a reciprocity agreement with Ohio (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/le ... mation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) stating that Texas will recognize Ohio CHL's that are issued on or after March 23, 2015.

Therein lies the problem.

An Ohio CHL is valid for five years from the date of issue. Ohio law does not allow a sheriff to renew a CHL earlier than 90 days prior to the expiration date on the license.

What this means is that law-abiding, background-checked citizens of Ohio who have received new or renewed CHL's as late as March 22, 2015 WILL BE DENIED RECIPROCITY FOR UP TO FIVE YEARS !! This will apply to ANY state that grants Ohio reciprocity based on the inclusion of the NICS check.

Several CHL holders have expressed a desire to add the NICS check to their current license, but there is no available process to accomplish this. Sheriffs, by law, cannot "renew" a license early. While they CAN re-issue a lost or destroyed license for a fee of $15, there is no background check required for a replacement.

I would like to suggest the introduction of a bill that would allow for an "interim CHL renewal".

This would allow a sheriff to renew a currently valid CHL upon successful completion of a NICS check.

A replacement license currently costs $15. I would suggest a fee of $20 for an interim CHL renewal. NICS is a very inexpensive and very fast ("Instant") process.

As the citizens requesting such an interim CHL renewal are actively requesting and submitting themselves to an ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND CHECK, I cannot comprehend any resistance to such a bill.

Also, it would mean more income for a sheriff's CHL department for minimal effort. This should be appealing for them, but I anticipate some may demand a higher fee.

If I can provide more information, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you !!
Send this or something similar to your OWN senators and representatives. Let's see if we can get something rolling.
Done. Good idea.
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim