Class time confirmation

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mindbender14

Class time confirmation

Post by Mindbender14 »

Please confirm again what I already know for my sanity.

If I have a class that consists of six hours of classroom time and two hours of range time. This is a total of 8 hours. This class was held in April. This meets the most recent law change. Correct? Just had a certificate rejected. Sorting it out with the sheriff tomorrow but it's a little disconcerting. :shock:

Fwiw, the deputy said we needed to do 8 hours in class AND 2 hours range time. For a total of 10 hours.
pirateguy191

Re: Class time confirmation

Post by pirateguy191 »

8 hours total.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

From 2923.125 Application and licensing process.

(G)(1) Each course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), or (e) of this section shall provide to each person who takes the course, class, or program the web site address at which the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters may be found. Each such course, class, or program described in one of those divisions shall include at least eight hours of training in the safe handling and use of a firearm that shall include training, provided as described in division (G)(3) of this section, on all of the following:

(a)The ability to name, explain, and demonstrate the rules for safe handling of a handgun and proper storage practices for handguns and ammunition;
(b) The ability to demonstrate and explain how to handle ammunition in a safe manner;
(c) The ability to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to shoot a handgun in a safe manner;
(d) Gun handling training ;
(e) A minimum of two hours of in-person training that consists of range time and live-fire training.

Tell them it's 8 hours for you to cover sections (a) to (e). Of those sections, only (e) specifies a time limit and that is the minimum amount that must be spent in that area alone. If you want to cover 7 hours in (e) and 1 hour in (a) to (d) you are allowed to do that. But by the wording of "at least eight hours of training....on all of the following:" and then has five specific areas, it infers (e) is covered in that 8 hours as well. If you have issues, send them my way. I've kind of taken a break on Lorain County (they just need a total website redesign and me to stop talking with people that need someone to interpret plain english for them) for now and need a new county to hassle.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Mindbender14

Post by Mindbender14 »

Thanks guys, I expect it to be cleared up rather easily. I'm just a worrywart. I also feel bad for the student whose certificate was rejected for this. I can't imagine what he must be thinking/feeling.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

If it is not cleared up quickly, just let us know what county.

:twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Mindbender14 wrote:Please confirm again what I already know for my sanity.

If I have a class that consists of six hours of classroom time and two hours of range time. This is a total of 8 hours. This class was held in April. This meets the most recent law change. Correct? Just had a certificate rejected. Sorting it out with the sheriff tomorrow but it's a little disconcerting. :shock:

Fwiw, the deputy said we needed to do 8 hours in class AND 2 hours range time. For a total of 10 hours.
Does this deputy have a name?
County?
Boss?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Mindbender14

Post by Mindbender14 »

Sorry, totally forgot to update this. Mistakes were made, don't have any names. Emailed the sheriff and got confirmation a few days after. We were right of course.