Cleveland adds gun legislation after child shooting.

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BriKuz

Re: Cleveland adds gun legislation after child shooting.

Post by BriKuz »

So, the city makes a local misdemeanor that is the same as a federal or state felony... so, prosecutor looks at the financial standing of the accused... should the person have enough money, they will be charged with the local misdemeanor and fined the max... if they are poor, they will be charged with the State felony and incarcerated on the state's dime... tricky, tricky, Cleveland City Council!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

BriKuz wrote:So, the city makes a local misdemeanor that is the same as a federal or state felony... so, prosecutor looks at the financial standing of the accused... should the person have enough money, they will be charged with the local misdemeanor and fined the max... if they are poor, they will be charged with the State felony and incarcerated on the state's dime... tricky, tricky, Cleveland City Council!
What I love are the ones that have the mandatory penalties in them. The "Improperly Providing Access to Firearms to a Minor" is one that has it...

"A person who violates this is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree and shall be fined $1000 and imprisoned 180 days. The court shall not suspend all or any portion of the fine or imprisonment."

So obviously Cuyahoga county has plenty of jail space and doesn't think judges should have any discretion on how to punish people based on the totality of circumstances.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Cuyahoga County had been plagued with bribery corruption over the years.
Greg Focker

Post by Greg Focker »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
BriKuz wrote:So, the city makes a local misdemeanor that is the same as a federal or state felony... so, prosecutor looks at the financial standing of the accused... should the person have enough money, they will be charged with the local misdemeanor and fined the max... if they are poor, they will be charged with the State felony and incarcerated on the state's dime... tricky, tricky, Cleveland City Council!
What I love are the ones that have the mandatory penalties in them. The "Improperly Providing Access to Firearms to a Minor" is one that has it...

"A person who violates this is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree and shall be fined $1000 and imprisoned 180 days. The court shall not suspend all or any portion of the fine or imprisonment."

So obviously Cuyahoga county has plenty of jail space and doesn't think judges should have any discretion on how to punish people based on the totality of circumstances.
The ********** that broke into my house and assaulted me got significantly less than that. As in, 177 days and $500 less than that. :evil:
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I don't know and it might be me....But it seems like I can't make a post w/o someone being sarcastic about...or adding something to a simple statement.....I write posts, not books...
Yes, Carmen, it is you.
It has always been you.
It is no one but you.
:wink:
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

curmudgeon3 wrote:Cuyahoga County had been plagued with bribery corruption over the years.

OMG. Several months ago I applied for a county job there. Guess I should be glad I did not get off the launch pad. :oops:
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

MacDonald wrote:
curmudgeon3 wrote:Cuyahoga County had been plagued with bribery corruption over the years.

OMG. Several months ago I applied for a county job there. Guess I should be glad I did not get off the launch pad. :oops:
You might still have a chance at the job if you can just figure out who is in charge of accepting donations. I doubt if things have really changed that much since Gimmie Dimora's hiatus; just a bunch of new players to contend with. Check in with Armand.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
Kremlin_Joe

Post by Kremlin_Joe »

So long story short I pulled up a copy of the recent Cleveland ordinance changes to share with some friends who wanted to read them and I found myself reading them as well. One section caught my eye that I hadn't seen before. It was section 627.03. Which states in summary that no person may purchaes or acquire a more than one firearm in a 90 day period. I'm not sure if they slipped this one in along with the other recent city codes they passed or if its an old one that has stuck around. Either way this seems like a 9.68 violation and something that may want to be addressed what with the current court challenges underway. Just thought I would share since it seemd out of the blue to me.

-KJ
"BEHAVE Komrade, or I let fly with the NUKES!"