Cleveland adds gun legislation after child shooting.

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Cleveland adds gun legislation after child shooting.

Post by Bruenor »

Cleveland leading the way with gun law reform......
http://fox8.com/2015/04/15/cleveland-gu ... t-weekend/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Councilman Kevin Kelley proposed the inclusion of a mandatory 180 day jail sentence and $1,000 fine for anyone convicted of improperly allowing kids access to guns. The ordinance includes exceptions for hunting, sporting and educational purposes. No charges have yet been filed in Robinson’s death.

The ordinance, proposed by Mayor Frank Jackson, also calls for the creation of a gun offender registry, similar to the sex offender registry. Any Cleveland resident convicted of a gun offense would be required to register an address with the city within five days of release from prison or sentencing.
The ordinance also requires residents to report private sales of guns to the city and to file a police report for a lost or stolen gun. Additionally, it makes gun offenses near schools, parks and certain other public places a first degree misdemeanor. Most other sections of the proposal mirror state law.
Following approval by the Public Safety Committee, the ordinance will go before Council’s Finance Committee Monday, and a final vote is expected at City Council’s April 27th meeting. If approved, most of the law would become effective three days after Mayor Frank Jackson signs it. The registry would not become effective until November 1.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Brian D.

Re: Cleveland adds gun legislation after child shooting.

Post by Brian D. »

When are we going to quit fooling around and go smack the dog-poo out of Mayor Jackson and his clown car chock full of council cretins once and for all? Anybody here seen the Get Smart movie from a couple years back? Remember the scenes with staplers used on foreheads? I'd like to Swingline a copy of ORC 9.68 to Jackson's noggin.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Maybe we need another Columbus type March in downtown #5 worst city Cleveland. A BIG ONE..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

OFCC needs to be proactive on this. Get some media exposure.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Anyone have the proposal they tried last year? (August I believe) I'm wondering if this is the same non-sense over again or if this is modified somewhat.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I had it but I can't find it now. Chuck may have a copy or Brett from Ohio Carry.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Here's the link to the story about last year's attempt.

http://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/index ... on_35.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Brian D. wrote:When are we going to quit fooling around and go smack the dog-poo out of Mayor Jackson and his clown car chock full of council cretins once and for all? Anybody here seen the Get Smart movie from a couple years back? Remember the scenes with staplers used on foreheads? I'd like to Swingline a copy of ORC 9.68 to Jackson's noggin.
The ordinance will have no effect until it is enacted, and thus, there is no violation of R.C. 9.68. Therefore, it costs them nothing to pander to their constituents. Without a little Kabuki theater, it just wouldn't be Cleveland politics.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
diamondsun

Post by diamondsun »

Someone with a young relative in law school really needs to point out the opportunities available in making a career out of suing Cleveland over ORC 9.68 violations. I mean seriously, you gotta be talking about a couple hundred billable hous every week. It's like this stuff just never stops!
To America's Citizen Soldier; Who answered the call; Climbed the hill; Paid the price; And never let us down.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

The only thing Cleveland should add is another 25 yrs. to the sentence of the idiot that shot the kid..Or anyone else that commits a crime with a gun..
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

... Cleveland should add ... another 25 yrs. to the sentence of the idiot that shot the kid..Or anyone else that commits a crime with a gun..
... Cleveland should add ... another 25 yrs. to the sentence of the idiot that stabbed the kid..Or anyone else that commits a crime with a knife..
... Cleveland should add ... another 25 yrs. to the sentence of the idiot that ran over the kid..Or anyone else that commits a crime with a car..
... Cleveland should add ... another 25 yrs. to the sentence of the idiot that bludgeoned the kid..Or anyone else that commits a crime with a baseball bat..
... Cleveland should add ... another 25 yrs. to the sentence of the idiot that beat the kid..Or anyone else that commits a crime with their fists..

Sorry, just pondering the variations here and not finding any differences to note. Why do we want to make the penalties more harsh for one weapon in preference to all others? Seems like as responsible gun owners we should be able to see the liberal anti-gun agenda behind this type of approach.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

diamondsun wrote:Someone with a young relative in law school really needs to point out the opportunities available in making a career out of suing Cleveland over ORC 9.68 violations. I mean seriously, you gotta be talking about a couple hundred billable hous every week. It's like this stuff just never stops!
Cleveland City Council is nothing but a bunch of blowhards who like to hear themselves talk a tough game. You're not going to get rich going after Cleveland for 9.68 violations for the simple fact that all their grand ideas (guns and otherwise) keep fizzling out on the launch pad. Their tough talk rarely makes it into any kind of meaningful law. Whether it's due to dysfunction or cooler heads (i.e. the law director) prevailing I really don't know.

I quit caring what Cleveland politicians say they want to do. If they're going to pass a law that violates 9.68 then they're going to do that, no matter what I, a Cleveland taxpayer (but non resident) or anybody else says about the matter. Furthermore, until they do pass a law there's no violation of 9.68 for any lawyer to concern themselves with. It's not worth the blood pressure worrying about something that I can in no way influence and for which there is a judicial remedy in the highly unlikely event that it does come to fruition.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I don't know and it might be me....But it seems like I can't make a post w/o someone being sarcastic about...or adding something to a simple statement.....I write posts, not books...
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

carmen fovozzo wrote:The only thing Cleveland should add is another 25 yrs. to the sentence of the idiot that shot the kid..Or anyone else that commits a crime with a gun..

The thing is, the idiot that shot the kid was 3 years old...
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

DUH..sorry about that. So many shootings. :oops: