SB 142: Regulate firearms seizure, prevent registry

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

SB 142: Regulate firearms seizure, prevent registry

Post by rickt »

I seem to remember a similar bill last session that went nowhere.
S. B. No. 142 - Senator Jordan

Cosponsors: Senator Beagle

To enact sections 5502.23 and 5502.231 of the Revised Code to prohibit any agency and its employees and agents from seizing or authorizing the seizure of any firearm from any person lawfully in possession or control of the firearm except when a law enforcement officer reasonably believes the immediate seizure of the firearm is necessary for the safety of the officer or another person or to preserve the firearm as evidence, to prohibit the establishment of a firearm registry, and to prohibit law enforcement officers from enforcing a firearms registration requirement or firearm ban.
https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 131-SB-142
JediSkipdogg

Re: SB 142: Regulate firearms seizure, prevent registry

Post by JediSkipdogg »

It'll go nowhere this time as the bill is pretty pointless.

1) 9.68 already prevents a registration. So nowhere in Ohio can we have a registration at the state or local level.

2) State law can't override federal law or federal agents. So if they want to create a registry, this would immediately be shot down as unenforceable in any federal court.

3) It includes safety of the officer or another person. That's a catch all for holding onto a weapon. I haven't really read any cases that "officer safety" couldn't fit into why the officer took the weapon.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.