PA now recognizes OH CHL

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mreising

Re: PA now recognizes OH CHL

Post by mreising »

You know, there is another reason to keep a PA license if you frequently travel there: the pesky Gun Free School Zones Act. I know that it seems to only be enforced when a prosecutor "needs something else to add", but the possibility still exists that it could become a trap. At $20, I'll probably still keep mine, even if WI and TX begin to recognize my current OLTCACH (oh nuts, let's just call it a CHL :) )
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Good point mreising but I really got the Pa. license more for time spent in/through Georgia. In fact during the almost five years I've had the Pa. non-resident LTCF , haven't been in that state for even a second. The in-person trip to renew would have been my first time there in probably close to 15 years truth be told.

Maybe I'll take the ride next month, maybe not. Nice to know it's now more of a choice than necessity.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Brian D. wrote:Good point mreising but I really got the Pa. license more for time spent in/through Georgia. In fact during the almost five years I've had the Pa. non-resident LTCF , haven't been in that state for even a second. The in-person trip to renew would have been my first time there in probably close to 15 years truth be told.

Maybe I'll take the ride next month, maybe not. Nice to know it's now more of a choice than necessity.

Agreed, that was the reason I was considering traveling from Western Ohio to Pennsylvania to get their Non resident license. Glad that I held off. I have friends and relatives in Georgia. Couldn't care less about Texas or Wisconsin. My brother & sister and their families left Texas years ago.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

mreising wrote:You know, there is another reason to keep a PA license if you frequently travel there: the pesky Gun Free School Zones Act. I know that it seems to only be enforced when a prosecutor "needs something else to add", but the possibility still exists that it could become a trap. At $20, I'll probably still keep mine, even if WI and TX begin to recognize my current OLTCACH (oh nuts, let's just call it a CHL :) )
I also think if one frequently travels there it may be good to keep. As surprising as us gaining PA, I would assume it could be yanked just as fast. Also at renewal time if something is hinky with NICS and caused a delay or denial, one would have the other state license to still carry on. When I renewed my Ohio last summer I waited till the day before it expired. When I applied they told me about the grace period and said they should have it back to me before then to which I said it didn't matter to me as I held up my Utah license.

When I go to California next month I'm thinking of getting a California Non-Resident driver's license (FYI, not sure if that law passed last year or not). :lol: On second thought, nah, wouldn't want to give them anymore money.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Those are good points. Didn't think of that. Thanks. :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

JediSkipdogg wrote: Also at renewal time if something is hinky with NICS and caused a delay or denial, one would have the other state license to still carry on.
In that case, it would be better to have something other than PA since Ohio only recognizes PA for non-residents here temporarily or residents for their first 6 months of residency. As a resident for more than 6 months, you would need a license from a state Ohio has a written reciprocal agreement.

Also, if I were traveling much and OH was my only license, I would renew sufficiently early that I wouldn't have to worry about using the grace period - I don't think I'd want to carry in another state on an expired OH license.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
mbott

Post by mbott »

Have a road trip for later this month which included a stop in Bellefonte, Centre County to renew my CHL. No longer necessary. :D We are good to go.

--
Mike
The fight will not be the way you want it to be. The fight will be the way it is. You must be flexible enough to adapt. -- Unknown
NRA Benefactor Life & Golden Eagle Member
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle and Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
Law Enforcement Sales, Retired
minuteman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by minuteman »

It is about time. My PA license expired and I was going to have to plan a trip. Great news.
minuteman
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

What about the additional states the PA non-res provided for? Will they continue to issue non-res? If not, we gain (1) althougth a near and dear neighbor, and lose (3)... is this correct?
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

PA will continue to issue non-resident licenses as far as I know. As to the other states (GA, WI, TX) that the PA license provided for, GA now recognizes our license, and WI recognizes our licenses issued on or after March 23. Eventually, TX will likely do the same - but probably not till next January.

So, if you travel to WI or TX, and do not have a license issued on or after March 23, a PA non-resident license is beneficial to you.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
mreising

Post by mreising »

mbott wrote:Have a road trip for later this month which included a stop in Bellefonte, Centre County to renew my CHL. No longer necessary. :D We are good to go.

--
Mike
It is $20 and 15 minutes of your time. If you are already going through Centre County, why not renew for the reasons mentioned above?
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
McM

Post by McM »

I read this one today. Very glad it is done, sorry it took so long, and I can't think of one negative to it. I confirmed it on the PA AG's website. It works both ways too. Now I can carry in Ohio on my PA license.

Great news.
Not one of the " 'more-equal animals' ".

Hippies make me laugh. Bleeding hippies make me laugh REALLY HARD! -Morne
budman70

Post by budman70 »

Under the new law Ohio accepts all permits from any state with or with out recip agreements, if I understand it correctly.
Chu Lai 67-68
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

I find nothing on the Ohio AG web site that confirms Ohio recognizes PA licenses. That might be why USA Carry hasn't updated their carry maps.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

budman70 wrote:Under the new law Ohio accepts all permits from any state with or with out recip agreements, if I understand it correctly.
For non-residents here temporarily and Ohio residents for their first 6 months of residency, yes. Ohioans who have been residents for longer than 6 months either need an OH CHL or a license from a state we have a formal reciprocal agreement with.
NRA Life Member